Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mech-games - What's Left? What's the best? What's the worst? Discussion!  (Read 23667 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

HAAAAAAAAAWKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MegaMek(=BattleTech on computer screen)! And of course online in a campaign.  ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Macross.
To be fair, nobody watched the other parts of Robotech.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Macross Seven, I think it was, was pretty okay if only for Basara.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Who would put hands on a mech?

Spoiler: Hands! (click to show/hide)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

On the Mechwarrior/ Battletech thing - I was definitely not thinking Battletech here. Bluh, can't remember the name of what I'm getting it confused with. Something... fuck, it's gone. Had mechs that could turn into planes and back, mostly kicking the shit out of mechs that couldn't.

Macross.

Also Glyph (Noryasha!), I completely agree with you in regards to realistic mech designs. That's why I don't really like Gundams or any other Japanese humanoid style robots anymore. As a kid I collected their model kits but as an adult now they just feel unrealistic.

Same here. Exception to this rule is... well, my favorite robot-combat game, Armored Core. Even then, if you get bored of limbs, in some games, you can switch to tank treads and load a ton of heavy railgun-esque firepower, with a high-energy output generator to handle your energy consumption needs.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know OP doesn't like Mechwarrior all that much, but you could give this mod a try if you have Crysis:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

I find the whole hands hang-up to be a bit...arbitrary.  I suppose I'm past caring once I quit worrying about why you use such an inefficient means of locomotion as walking for a 60-ton machine.  Battletech tried to explain that as synthetic muscle fibers that only are effective in lengths greater than about 2-3 meters, but it still seems more jarring, personally.

Another game to throw in there people might be interested in: Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs.

While strictly speaking a tank game, rather than a mech game, you can still build or still mechs in most in most of the later levels. And climbing out of your tank, pulling out a sniper, shooting the pilot of a mech and then riding over to commandeer it is quite fun. Not the best mech game, but good.

Didn't know Battlezone made it to the consoles.  The PC game from 1998 is worth a playthrough if you never have.  Although the US walkers do have hands, if that bothers you.  :P

Dariush mentioned Hawken, which might end up being pretty good, but I'm waiting until it gets closer to release.  From the trailers, it might end up being "COD deathmatch in mech suits".

And second to Flare's recommendation for Mechwarrior: Living Legends.  It's a good modern take on Battletech.  It does require Crysis: Warhead to play, though.

KG

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noone has mentioned Titans of Steel yet?
It's free, insane customizability and turn based with a topside view. It feels like a board game :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I so confused.

OP doesn't like Robotech or Mechwarrior, but Battletech is okay.

But Battletech's original dozen or so mech designs were all direct copies from Robotech, and Mechwarrior is just Battletech as an FPS/TPS.  ???

And Battletech (at least, pre-3050) even had the mechs that could turn into airplanes (Stinger, Wasp and Phoenix Hawk all had LAM configurations).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's Gearhead/Gearhead 2, the mech roguelikes, not brilliant but still quite fun to play.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm two sides about mechs:

Why have a target profile so tall? Thats just asking for an anti-material round.

And

SO AWESOME, CRUSH DESTROY!

If only physics knew what was awesome...
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's not really a general purpose mech thread, it's just whatever you deem worthy of being called a "mech"? Seems silly.

It's supposed to be general purpose Real-mech thread, I was just getting conversation going. By no means feel the need to limit it to stuff I like. :P

OP doesn't like Robotech or Mechwarrior, but Battletech is okay
Wait, what? I meant to say I liked Robotech, but wasn't really what I was looking for. Accidently said battletech. My bad. :P
Man, I just devoured the Macross stuff when I was younger, though, I think I'm totally biased about how good that game was. It was probably mediocre at best. I'd definitely say that sort of game has an incredibly different feel from something like Mechwarrior, though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:35:26 am by GlyphGryph »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

There's Cogmind, made by the author of X@Com as a 7DRL. It's a robotic roguelike where you upgrade with weapons etc as you fight your way out. I don't think it actually mentions scale at all, so you could be mecha-sized. Although, you're really a self-assembling robot with no pilot, so not really mecha at all :(

There was some vague talk of a Titan Legions game for the WH40k universe, but I have no idea of what happened with that. At least the hands aren't compulsory in TL games, and if they are it means it's a giant power-fist, so at least it's designed as a weapon (as opposed to something primarily used to flip the enemy off).
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Netepic is the game I was thinking of. I'm just having a look at it now. Epic plus Space Marine on computer. So you get mechs (titans), tanks, infantry and quite a bit of other weirdness. Good, old-school, turn-based strategy.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5