Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger Room is killing Babies! ... Should I Care?  (Read 2520 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Danger Room is killing Babies! ... Should I Care?
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »

Recently, in the desire to quickly get a group up to take on a siege that came in my FIRST YEATR, I "discovered" that evidently babies held by a Dwarf have NO capacity for dodging even training spikes.

After 4 pulls of the level I had one dead baby and 4 blood splattered Dwarves.
Of course  !!SCIENCE!! Dictated I try the experiment again to test my findings...
Sure enough, after another parent was placed in side, the baby died all too quickly.

Now, this vexes me... One, Half my small militia ALL Seem to have babies!
It will be quit a pain to ditch them.  Also, killing the babies isn't exactly good for moral and makes one hell of an unhappy thought...
Suggestions?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room is killing Babies! ... Should I Care?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:13:56 pm »

Give them a REALLY NICE dining room.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

Yeah, wait until they don't have kids to danger-train them. Sparring is the only decent way to avoid killing babies while training, as live training and danger rooms could easily kill babies, though in the former case, babies will happily leap from thier mothers' arms to avoid injury at goblin hands.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »

That's why I tend to prefer decreasing the number of females ratio. Too many able bodied dwarves that simply must be in the military with babies getting carried into combat.

Not to mention how babies will eventually become FPS draining, booze and food taking mouths for several years, then growing into something useless.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »

I do this, myself.  With mods like Genesis I generally take out all the female castes and leave one, and if I'm playing vanilla I give the male caste [POP_RATIO:7] and the females [POP_RATIO:1].

They still survive fine in worldgen, but with 1 female dwarf for every 7 male dwarves, skyrocketing baby booms are a thing of the past.  Plus, it explains why nobody in myth really talks about female Dwarves.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »

Every room of my fort is a danger room.  Cull the weak.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:10 pm »

Erase the existence of babies in the raws: dwarves are born as children or even straight up adults, completely skipping the baby phase.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:27:09 am »

That's why I tend to prefer decreasing the number of females ratio. Too many able bodied dwarves that simply must be in the military with babies getting carried into combat.

Not to mention how babies will eventually become FPS draining, booze and food taking mouths for several years, then growing into something useless.
But thats why you draft your females into the military FIRST. Let them and their spawn be the sacrifices to the early goblin ambushes before metal armor, decent weapons, healthcare and all that jazz.

Or you could just modify the files and such.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:52 am »

I still do Childcare - !!SCIENCE!!, although any of the subjects survives more then 5 years.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:44 am »

Don't worry if the babies die. Eventually the mothers will become desensitized to such things, just make sure to keep them happy and you can eventually make it so that she'll barely care when a baby dies in combat or training! Though I don't know how long it takes them to get the "Doesn't care much about anything anymore" qualifier...

But if it works, just think of how efficient your mothers will be in combat when they have a free living shield on them!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:40 am »

Don't worry if the babies die. Eventually the mothers will become desensitized to such things, just make sure to keep them happy and you can eventually make it so that she'll barely care when a baby dies in combat or training!
This.
Just make sure they have some fancy *«☼bedroom☼»*s and a legendary dining hall plus some other shiny stuff to prevent them from having a tantrumgasm over the first dozen or so dead larvae..
A mist generator in the danger room would probably also be a good idea. "Yo dawg, I heard you like mist, so I put a waterfall in your danger room so you can shower while you dodge!"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:30:19 am »

Turn your meeting hall into a danger room on the good side they are all legendary armor user and dodgers and miners get free training.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:37:56 am »

Care about dead babies only to the extent that it upsets your dwarves.

So like Corai said, give them a nice dining room. With a mist generator.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

Nice rooms make happy desensitized killing machines.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:24 pm »

bah, skip the danger room entirely, you're wasting precious shields.
Pages: [1] 2