Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Ninjas  (Read 2367 times)

daftfad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Ninjas
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aren't I supposed to be the one cutting off thieves' hands? She got away, too. How is this even remotely fair?

Anyone else have any good goblin ninja attacks?

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Ninjas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

I think I remember a Goblin master thief straight-up decapitating one of my dwarfs when he was discovered before running off.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »

Holy crap man, that sucks. I had an older fortress where a goblin spawned and butchered three guard dogs then made a clean getaway.  I was... Irritated. But both hands?  Damn.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »

Not gobins, but a bunch of kobolds that completely destroyed my one fort. Their numbers, weapons, and the fact that I hadn't penetrated the aquifer or made any military yet likely helped, but still...kobolds...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »

Not gobins, but a bunch of kobolds that completely destroyed my one fort. Their numbers, weapons, and the fact that I hadn't penetrated the aquifer or made any military yet likely helped, but still...kobolds...

I saw ninja, I knew someone was going to mention kobold.

Goblin come, goblin take down three candy-clad axedwarves before getting killed by headshot.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

It's the Inverse Ninja rule.

When alone, a single Kobold or Goblin infiltrator has a high chance of being/becoming a high dodging, limb cutting badass (especially world gen ones with a long history and career).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »

It's the Inverse Ninja rule.

When alone, a single Kobold or Goblin infiltrator has a high chance of being/becoming a high dodging, limb cutting badass (especially world gen ones with a long history and career).

And when together, they have the longevity of a gerbil on 'will it blend?'

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:25 pm »

Daggers are significantly more dangerous than you might expect, along the same lines as whips.

You are lucky he doesn't have a kitchen knife. That isn't a joke: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98480.0

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:08 pm »

I had a kobold thief get noticed by one of my wardogs, and flee.  Dog chased for a while, then the kobold turned around and pimp slapped it... one smack knocked out more teeth than a dog has.  There were a dozen piles of teeth, some of 'em 10-15 teeth deep.  The kobold buggered off, and the wardog decided she didn't want to play chase anymore.  She was fine, but not much for biting after that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:30 am »

Daggers are significantly more dangerous than you might expect, along the same lines as whips.

You are lucky he doesn't have a kitchen knife. That isn't a joke: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98480.0
when they will get fixed? :|
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:12 am »

You can fix the numbers yourself if you can be bothered (unlike me). Just look up kitchen knives in the raws and change something to make them less nasty, probably the impact area or whatever it's called... As i said, I can't be bothered to do such a thing. I just accept that it's a funny part of the !!fun!! that is dwarf fortress.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:48 am »

When someone decides to mod them fixed.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »

Goblins in general die quickly to my Dwarves. I remember an ambush startling some of my masons, getting locked in a minor booze stockpile and woah did the mayor get pissed. Grabbed his trusty iron spear, imported straight from the finest human weaponsmiths (admittedly, not as good as Dwarf make), ran up to the Goblins Achilles style, dodging flying bolts everywhere before promptly stabbing loads of them - getting shot in the shoulder, and calmly walking it off back to the make shift hospital, whilst the other Dwarves were just arriving to clean up.

kobolds kooboold koboold kobololod KOBOLDS

These blighters are resilient ninjas. All the ones I find have a habit of dying quickly, but they always take at least 9 pages of damage before dying. One made it to 12, after I sent just four Dwarves - my expedition leader, a captain macedwarf and two legendary marksdwarves to ensure the other two weren't killed by wandering unkindness of ravens.

The Captain walks up to the Kobold, charging into the Kobold and knocking it down. The macedwarf goes for a clean kill, aiming for the head - which the Kobold blocks with it's dagger. Proceed to 5 pages of the Kobold stabbing the Dwarf, only ever bruising the captain through his cloth armour (too tough for the poor thing), forcing the macelord to limp bloodily (in a very literal sense) home before the Kobold was finally shot and killed by the marksdwarves. I think that Kobold's a zombie now, not sure where it's corpse went.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »

That's nothing, man.

I just had a ninja necromancer.
First he raised the corpse of a thief. The corpes was quicky dispatched by war dogs.
Then the pastrs of the body reanimated ans atacked again. And again. And again. Then the dogs started to die and rise.
I think i could have stopped it somewhat, but i was too distracted in the lower levers of the fortress, trying to make a wall. A poorly
planned mining tunel cut the candy by surprise.

Although at the end , it wasn't to bad. The masons were masacred, but a cat bone hatch stopped the horde. But the zombie apocalipse is imparable. The invisible necromancer has already rise all my herd and my whole military.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »

Well, it might depend on how old the goblin was. If it was there for the first few years of the worlds creation and your in the 200+ year, than chances are it might have ranked up some skills in world gen. Hence, goblin death squads.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.
Pages: [1] 2