Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few healthcare questions  (Read 1023 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few healthcare questions
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »

I have this one Lasher dwarf who got a compound, overlapping fracture in the right ankle and foot - and he needs diagnosis pretty much every day, and doesn't seem to get better. He's gotten about 60 diagnoses so far, over 5 months. He also has an infection (which may be causing the diagnoses, I think), and he's in a traction bench. He needs a crutch - and no one has given him.

I've done the whole healthcare shebang - hospital, soap, cloth, thread, well, soap, nurses, medical dwarf, crutches, splints, plaster powder, etc. I also checked that he's not stuck in the traction bench by deconstructing it.

What's going on? Can I get him to heal faster? Is there any way to cure infection?

As an aside, I also have two slightly injured, but functioning (not in hospital) marksdwarves, both with infections - can they get healed?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few healthcare questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:55 pm »

You have five dwarves with one of the healthcare jobs on? And a head-medical dwarf with diagnosing?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »

I haven't specialized them quite so much, but my chief dwarf has all the labors enabled, in addition to two others who have all of them enabled. Two more do only diagnosis and feed, recover. I have several other dwarves with various healthcare stuff enabled, but they haven't done anything much. (I've disabled hauling, and sometimes burrowed the dwarves I specified.)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:42:01 pm »

You have five dwarves with one of the healthcare jobs on? And a head-medical dwarf with diagnosing?

Why does the cmd need diagnosing on?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:17:05 am »

I have this one Lasher dwarf who got a compound, overlapping fracture in the right ankle and foot - and he needs diagnosis pretty much every day, and doesn't seem to get better. He's gotten about 60 diagnoses so far, over 5 months. He also has an infection (which may be causing the diagnoses, I think), and he's in a traction bench.
I've had this happen... not much you can do except keep waiting.

He needs a crutch - and no one has given him.
Use the level above your hospital to drop him a crutch, drink or food on his bed.    Just don't drop him a statue.

I've done the whole healthcare shebang - hospital, soap, cloth, thread, well, soap, nurses, medical dwarf, crutches, splints, plaster powder, etc. I also checked that he's not stuck in the traction bench by deconstructing it.

What's going on? Can I get him to heal faster? Is there any way to cure infection?
What's his personality profile say about his healing rate??  If it says he heals very slowly then you might as well give him a bunch of magazines and expect it to take another year.

There's no way to cure infections (at this time)... and the infection could kill him.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:25:36 am »

supposedly a CMD with good diagnose skills give better health screen reports. There is however no reason that dwarf needs to be the only medical dwarf. In fact, since minecarts, pretty much all my non-essential dwarfs (haulers) have been recruited to first aid staff
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:56:44 am »

and he's in a traction bench.

As an aside, I also have two slightly injured, but functioning (not in hospital) marksdwarves, both with infections - can they get healed?

Tried deconstructing the traction bench? Maybe some job is stuck and prevents further treatment.
Does his health screen say that he needs diagnosis or any other treatment - check the different tabs.

Infections may heal on their own, some may not. Some are fairly fatal, some arent. I had a dwarf running around with infections for several years before succumbing to an arrow in the face.
(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:00 am »

and he's in a traction bench.

Tried deconstructing the traction bench? Maybe some job is stuck and prevents further treatment.

yes, OP did
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

Thanks NTJedi, it does say that he is slow to heal... that's too bad. Does anyone know a way I can get the whip off him? He's already off the squad.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:44 am »

kill him? I think he has to store it himself