Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first megaproject!  (Read 2685 times)

exarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first megaproject!
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »

So, I just finished my first megaproject. It is an obsidian castle with double walls. In the center, there is an obsidian tower to the top of the map which my nobles live in. The quality of the rooms improves with height, and at the very top of the tower is a statue garden. Additionally, there is a smaller tower at each of the corners of the castle, each of which is dedicated to one of the four elements. The fire tower is filled with magma, the water tower with water, the earth tower with natural obsidian, and the air tower is empty. The entrance consists of a drawbridge on the west wall.

Constructing this thing first consisted of leveling out the building site, as I embarked in a mountainous area so I could have a volcano, sand, and clay. Fire clay made meeting noble room requirements much easier, and I managed to pack royal rooms into a 5x5 space inside the tower, and the sand allowed me to use windows as boundaries for the room. The volcano also meant that I had 2 natural obsidian layers, which made attaining enough stone rather easy. The only actual challenge was moving the magma into the towers, which wasn't too hard due the nearby volcano and the ability to make the pumps out of glass. There is no deathtrap or doomsday device in this castle, because it was built on an island and there would be nothing to use it on.

Also, does anybody know of a good visualizer? I'd like to see this in 3D.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »

Stonesense
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »

Overseer is better than Stonesense for getting 3-D visuals of more than three, four levels at a time; but it is a big program that takes a lot of processing power and can't yet display buildings (just constructions). If you check the megaproject in my sig you can see some shots taken with Overseer. I highly recommend it, if your computer can run it.

I use Stonesense to get an idea of where things are in-game, and Overseer for taking the pretty snapshots of your finished project.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »

So, I just finished my first megaproject. It is an obsidian castle with double walls. In the center, there is an obsidian tower to the top of the map which my nobles live in. The quality of the rooms improves with height, and at the very top of the tower is a statue garden. Additionally, there is a smaller tower at each of the corners of the castle, each of which is dedicated to one of the four elements. The fire tower is filled with magma, the water tower with water, the earth tower with natural obsidian, and the air tower is empty. The entrance consists of a drawbridge on the west wall.

Constructing this thing first consisted of leveling out the building site, as I embarked in a mountainous area so I could have a volcano, sand, and clay. Fire clay made meeting noble room requirements much easier, and I managed to pack royal rooms into a 5x5 space inside the tower, and the sand allowed me to use windows as boundaries for the room. The volcano also meant that I had 2 natural obsidian layers, which made attaining enough stone rather easy. The only actual challenge was moving the magma into the towers, which wasn't too hard due the nearby volcano and the ability to make the pumps out of glass. There is no deathtrap or doomsday device in this castle, because it was built on an island and there would be nothing to use it on.

Also, does anybody know of a good visualizer? I'd like to see this in 3D.

Nice! l like the four element towers. Especially the magma/water towers. Especially if they have release mechanisms :P

exarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:32:39 pm »

Overseer is better than Stonesense for getting 3-D visuals of more than three, four levels at a time; but it is a big program that takes a lot of processing power and can't yet display buildings (just constructions). If you check the megaproject in my sig you can see some shots taken with Overseer. I highly recommend it, if your computer can run it.

I use Stonesense to get an idea of where things are in-game, and Overseer for taking the pretty snapshots of your finished project.

The no buildings part causes the tower in the center to display as a bunch of floating floors. This won't work.

And no, there are no releases for the water/magma. This fort is on an island, there would be nothing to drown/melt other than my dwarves.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

This fort is on an island, there would be nothing to drown/melt other than my dwarves.

So?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »

I don't see what's bad about filling the air tower with a small group of self-sustaining Dwarves.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:18:46 am »

The no buildings part causes the tower in the center to display as a bunch of floating floors. This won't work.

And no, there are no releases for the water/magma. This fort is on an island, there would be nothing to drown/melt other than my dwarves.
I had a "floating floors" problem too--turns out I had an outdated version of the export program in my DFHack. Recheck the last few posts in the Overseer topic to see if that might be your problem too.