Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leather Armour vs. Leather Clothes?  (Read 12972 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leather Armour vs. Leather Clothes?
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:30:57 pm »

Does anyone know if Leather Armour is any more protective than leather clothing covering the same area, like a shirt or tunic? I'm low on metal and high on leather, so wondering if there's any advantage (aside from wear) to making leather armour, which would have to be replaced when I get enough metal to make breastplates, to just making cloaks and things.

On a similar note: what's best between cloth, silk, and leather clothing?

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Armour vs. Leather Clothes?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »

I think clothing has no armor value at all, so it can only deflect the most marginal of blows...

While Leather Armor is one of the lowest modifiers, it's still better than nothing.

Bone Greaves, Helms, and Gauntlets will preform better than Leather Helms, Gloves, and Leggings.  But may be harder to come by if you already have all the leather on hand.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »

I think clothing has no armor value at all, so it can only deflect the most marginal of blows...
You underestimate tunics.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »

Well, each layer does get checked, and it only lists the one that actually stopped the blow.  However, actual armour provides much more protection than mere clothing.  Being dressed is way better than running into combat skyclad, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »

And socks.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »

I think the data on this question is sketchy. Leather armor should be better than clothing, but might not be.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »

And socks.

Funny story.  I was messing around with worldgen and raw editing, and managed to make a Goblin civ that would routinely depopulate the entire world and kill off everything nearby.  They had all kinds of weapons and armor and all that.  I decided to tone them down a bit, and one single change made them die off within 50 years during any worldgen I tried:

I removed their socks and shoes.

That's it.

With foot cover?  Deadly.  Without? DEAD.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:38:53 am »

Although leather armour is better than clothes, it's still useless against even the weakest weapons. I think it might have a chance of stopping or most likely just lessening the damage of bite attacks from small creatures (like dogs or badgers) but every weapon the goblins use will slice through like butter.

A balance issue that I hope Toady addresses sometime soon. Low tier armours need a buff.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »

Although leather armour is better than clothes, it's still useless against even the weakest weapons.
Cloth > Leather vs Edged attacks
Leather > Cloth vs Blunt attacks

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »

Although leather armour is better than clothes, it's still useless against even the weakest weapons.
Derivation? Source?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:15 pm »

Derivation? Source?
Adventure and Fortress mode anecdotes. The hardest non-science there is. Also a thread like this where someone poked at material values. Look in the raws.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:24:11 am »

Derivation? Source?
Adventure and Fortress mode anecdotes. The hardest non-science there is. Also a thread like this where someone poked at material values. Look in the raws.

The current armor system is basically "X penetrates Y always or X never penetrates Y", so it doesn't really matter from the practical perspective. If you're testing armor it should be atleast against a copper weapon, anything less is useless. Leather armor might be a tiny bit better against blunt attacks, but the difference is neglible in practise.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a leather armor or a cloth shirt deflect a copper (or higher) weapon? I can't recall any instances since the material system was introduced. Even if it happens, it's so unbelievably rare that saying "cloth is better than leather against edged weapons" has no real value ingame.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:28:10 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:57 am »

Don't be quick to deny. Dwarf Fortress has a tendency to make the unreal become truth.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

Arrows get deflected by cloaks, occasionally, I think. And when it comes down to it, I'll take every advantage I can get, even if it's +1%, especially when my resources for actually useful gear are so limited. So I'll start layering on cloth and leather cloaks on my guys. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2