Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leather Armour vs. Leather Clothes?  (Read 12963 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Leather Armour vs. Leather Clothes?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:05 am »

I mean, when was the last time you saw a leather armor or a cloth shirt deflect a copper (or higher) weapon?
last ambush

Don't be quick to deny. Dwarf Fortress has a tendency to make the unreal become truth.
What's so unreal?

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:21:50 am »

I mean, when was the last time you saw a leather armor or a cloth shirt deflect a copper (or higher) weapon?
last ambush

Seriously, leather and cloth items block copper and silver bolts/maces/hammers ALL THE TIME.  Occasionally, they block iron as well.  Just look at your combat logs. 

The combat results depend on (in no particular order):  1) the materials, 2) the type of damage, 3) the quality of the weapon, and 4) the abilities of the attacker.  A Legendary fighter will kill with his/her teeth through leather.  But, a really bad crossbowman can get his copper bolts blocked by a rope reed tunic.  And when it comes to blunt damage, a good macedwarf with a silver hammer will often have some shots blocked by <<cave fish leather armor>>.   

Edged and pointy damage versus leather and cloth does well (this has been established lots of places in this forum).  Blunt does not, and bolts have a tendency of doing blunt damage if they graze an opponent, which happens frequently, hence why lots of people at least put they archers in leather.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »

last ambush

Seriously, leather and cloth items block copper and silver bolts/maces/hammers ALL THE TIME.  Occasionally, they block iron as well.  Just look at your combat logs. 

The combat results depend on (in no particular order):  1) the materials, 2) the type of damage, 3) the quality of the weapon, and 4) the abilities of the attacker.  A Legendary fighter will kill with his/her teeth through leather.  But, a really bad crossbowman can get his copper bolts blocked by a rope reed tunic.  And when it comes to blunt damage, a good macedwarf with a silver hammer will often have some shots blocked by <<cave fish leather armor>>.   

Edged and pointy damage versus leather and cloth does well (this has been established lots of places in this forum).  Blunt does not, and bolts have a tendency of doing blunt damage if they graze an opponent, which happens frequently, hence why lots of people at least put they archers in leather.

You try blocking something with soft leather clothing, a hammer migth not pierce it, but it has almost none damage reduction. Leather armor is a lot more stiff because its made with a different kind of leather and should protect a lot better, try cutting a piece of untanned leather.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »

But does the game actually make a distinction between armour-tanned leather and clothing leather? Leather armour has a armour stat, but the material is the same. How does the armor stat impact protection? What if you made copper clothing, how well would that work as protection?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 12:46:37 pm »

The *<*copper mail tunic*>* pinches Urist McPoorclothingchoices in the upper body, bruising the skin and tearing the chest hair.  x100

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:53 pm »

Well you would probably want to weave the copper thinner than mail. It'd be more like wearing aluminium foil. Or a mesh of copper electrical wire.

But yeah, there's a reason that metal is only used for surface embroidery on clothing.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 01:23:28 pm »

They might have changed it, but I was under the impression that there was only two quality levels: masterwork and not masterwork. Things in between don't matter, they're just "not masterwork". Again, I could be quite wrong.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 04:49:26 pm »

if you have a copper mail shirt it should work decently against any edged weapon. It wouldn't stop a good stab, but against slashing and such it absorbs most damage. The problem would be durability, everytime it takes a hit some links would get damaged and after 3 or 4 hits in the same area it would disintegrate.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »

if you have a copper mail shirt it should work decently against any edged weapon. It wouldn't stop a good stab, but against slashing and such it absorbs most damage. The problem would be durability, everytime it takes a hit some links would get damaged and after 3 or 4 hits in the same area it would disintegrate.
Not to mention the weight. Heavier than steel that stuff would be.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »

I am in a practice of equipping leathers for battle vs. blunt-weapon assailants. I feel, after some semi-scientific arena testing that the benefits of added speed are crucial, given that blunt damage mostly negates the value of armours, with the possible exception of steel and adamantium; However, to be sure, let's take a look at how DF describes the material.

Don't worry - I've clipped some of the extraneous data from the template.

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:500]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[SHEAR_YIELD:25000] -- was 15 to 37 MPa in animal byproducts net pdf
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:25000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[MAX_EDGE:0]
[ABSORPTION:40]

I've added this to the material comparison chart on the weapons page of the wiki.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Weapon#Weapon_Material_Quality

The numbers suggest that it is (go figure) like wearing an extra layer of skin. Which ain't all bad. It's certainly better than the values we get for silk and cloth.

But this is strictly examining the [LEATHER] material entry...
When we refer to the raw descriptions of items like coats, tunics and trousers, there is another tag: [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]. This suggests that 'clothing' offers rather poor protective value. Or maybe it means that it does little to hamper movement? In any case, we also see that these objects are [SOFT] - which may have combat implications, but seems mostly to be a determinant to which materials can be used in its construction.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »

I don't know how it would be against swinging cutting weapons, but df dwarves with access to giant cave spider silk in quantity could maybe fashion some nice protective padding material to put under metal armor out of it. I don't know how well it would do against bladed melee weapons but there are accounts of non penetration through silk with pre-1900 pistols according to this article:

From http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/NovDec98/MS328.htm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More stuff: http://news.discovery.com/tech/body-armor-spider-silk-121015.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:00:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:39 pm »

Although leather armour is better than clothes, it's still useless against even the weakest weapons.
Cloth > Leather vs Edged attacks
Leather > Cloth vs Blunt attacks
Derivation? Source?
Adventure and Fortress mode anecdotes. The hardest non-science there is. Also a thread like this where someone poked at material values. Look in the raws.

The current armor system is basically "X penetrates Y always or X never penetrates Y", so it doesn't really matter from the practical perspective. If you're testing armor it should be atleast against a copper weapon, anything less is useless. Leather armor might be a tiny bit better against blunt attacks, but the difference is neglible in practise.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a leather armor or a cloth shirt deflect a copper (or higher) weapon? I can't recall any instances since the material system was introduced. Even if it happens, it's so unbelievably rare that saying "cloth is better than leather against edged weapons" has no real value ingame.

... Actually, I just had a battle today where a goblin axe was only bruising the muscle under a leather cloak
Pages: 1 [2]