Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open Ended 4X games  (Read 3640 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open Ended 4X games
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:02:49 pm »

Basically, I'm looking for a game along the lines of civlization: building an empire, researching tech, fighting enemy civilizations and so on, just in a sandbox format. No ultimate goal, no way to win, only to postpone losing. Something similar to EUIII or any of those paradox games, but more focused on developing the empire than on warfare. Anyone know of anything like this?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Open Ended 4X games
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »

Anno? That's closer to mercantilism than nation building, but I think it hits all those points in one way or another.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:07:35 pm »

Dwarf Fortress?
But I see what you mean. Something like DF, but focused on macro- instead of micro-management, basically?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:08:41 pm »

Blatant "LP Link in sig plug..."
This is a blank sig.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »

EDIT: I'm stupid
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:11:46 pm by Eagle_eye »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22:57 pm »

uh...what? I have no LP's in my sig, and I haven't updated the mod in about a year. I should probably remove it,  but you shouldn't assume the worst of people.

He was referring to his own LP of MOO3.  ;)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »

oh lol.. sorry about that. :\

By the way, your mod bundle is on megaupload.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:15:19 pm by Eagle_eye »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:28 pm »

Victoria 2? That's much more politically indepth than EU3. I guess pretty much any other Paradox game, assuming you don't have them, would be a good start. Crusader Kings II is good.

I'm not really sure. Personally I don't mind a winnable goal. Alpha Centuri is one of favourite 4X games because it balanced sandbox and goal based gameplay.

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »

I'd say Aurora 4X, It's a great sandbox game. No goals (If I recall correctly) And you can make up one if you want.

Linkedy Link: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:02:39 am »

What about X series??
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:14:22 am »

I'd say Aurora 4X, It's a great sandbox game. No goals (If I recall correctly) And you can make up one if you want.

Linkedy Link: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php

Yeah, if the interface doesn't turn you off Aurora would definitely seem to offer you what you want. About the only reason I don't play it to the exclusion of all else is it doesn't have a goal or a way to win, so I eventually get bored  :P

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 02:24:32 am »

Sounds like you might enjoy Aurora. Space is effectively infinite, and it creates new NPC opponents scaled to your tech level as you explore, so there's always something more out there to find. The game is more focused on combat and ship design than empire building, but there's enough going on to probably satisfy you. Hell, you've even played Dwarf Fortress so you might be willing to tolerate it's overly complex and sometimes hostile interface! Wonderful game, really.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 04:00:23 am »

If there's no way to win, the game becomes theoretically infinite, so developers won't be able to have regular new content in your game, so the game becomes boring. Just imagine how would Civilization look if you remove the 2050 cap. Sure, you'll be able to steamroll opponents sooner or later, but then what? There would be no new technologies, only tons of micromanagement for all the cities and no clear goal remaining.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 04:02:34 am »

Distant worlds feels a little like EU3 in space in my opinion. They're actually quite different, pehaps it's just the realtime thing?
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.