Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shelf Life of Food  (Read 751 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shelf Life of Food
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »

How long can roasts exist inside a rock pot or barrel before going bad?

How long can roasts exists outside a rock pot or barrel before going bad?

How long can meat and prepared food exist inside a rock pot or barrel before going bad?

How long can meat and prepared food exist outside a rock pot or barrel before going bad?

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shelf Life of Food
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »

I believe food products will stay good indefinitely so long as they're stored in a stockpile. Not using barrels can cause vermin to gather near food though, which can cause food loss as the critters drag snacks away to their holes.

Outside of stockpiles, food starts rotting rather fast. I've had prepared meals create miasma in the kitchen quite rapidly when I didn't have space in my stockpile.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Shelf Life of Food
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »

According to ab9rf (I added this to the Miasma wiki entry as well):

The only places where food will not rot are in a stockpile, in a trade depot, in the embark wagon, or while being carried by a dwarf, caravan pack animal, or wagon, or when used as a reaction component. It does not matter if it's in a container; a barrel or pot full of meat left in a corridor will eventually rot.

While you'd expect milk and tallow to rot, it seems that they do not. Nor do any of the other categories of food, including flours, drinks, seeds, and rock nut paste. Fat rots no matter where it is, which is why it is important to render it to tallow as quickly as possible.

As for approximately how long it takes for rottable food items to rot when not in a location that prevents rot, I don't know.  If you find out, please add it to the wiki entry.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.