Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obliterate excess stone-improve fps?  (Read 4157 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Obliterate excess stone-improve fps?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

Your bridge needs to be larger than 1x1, and it also must go up in some direction rather than just retract.  Then you pull the bridge up with the lever and put stuff under where it will be when it goes back down.

wwww
w=%w
wbbw
wbbw

going up to the south will become

wwww
w=%w
wttw
wbbw

where t are target tiles

Although I don't know why you want the lever-puller over there in the corner ...
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »

I try to make atom smashers "dwarf-proof" so that you don't accidentally smash some poor sod (or worse, your legendary weaponmaker!) trying to drop off a XXPig Tail SockXX at exactly the wrong time.

Code: [Select]
Level 1:
WWWW
W DD%
WWWW
WWWW

Level 0:
WWWW
WbbW
WbbW
WdWW
The bridge opens to the south, meaning that no dwarf can get into the killing zone while the bridge is ready to strike. Normally the door would also be locked and only exists so that you can fetch something accidentally thrown away if you need to get it and remember in time. The bridge also covers the entire pit, so stuff can't accidentally end up in a non-crushing area.

Upstairs, there is a one-hole dump pit above the top-left corner of the bridge, two doors to block out miasma, and the lever. If stuff gets thrown up by the bridge being readied, it has nowhere to go and won't force you to un-forbid and re-dump it again.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »

My method is to dig a 1-tile-wide channel down several z-levels that has access to many different floors of my fort, with it marked as a dumping zone, so that anything marked for dumping is dropped down this shaft.

At the bottom of this shaft, I put a 1x2 bridge that raises so that the tile that the bridge will lift away from is the tile where everything drops.  I wall off access to this room after I have linked it to the lever or repeater.  This way, anything marked for dumping will simply be tossed into the tile where it will be smashed by the bridge. 

I sometimes run the bridge by simply having a lever my designated control room dwarf pulls occasionally, or else I will attach it to a repeater. 

On a repeater, there is a little lag caused by the movement of the bridge constantly, but it's completely automated garbage disposal after you just mark anything for dumping.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:01 pm »

All creatures that walk off your map are removed forever from play (including diplomats who merely completed a peaceful talk with you).
Not quite.  I've had named wild animals walk off the map and come back later.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:26 am »

My method is to dig a 1-tile-wide channel down several z-levels that has access to many different floors of my fort, with it marked as a dumping zone, so that anything marked for dumping is dropped down this shaft.

At the bottom of this shaft, I put a 1x2 bridge that raises so that the tile that the bridge will lift away from is the tile where everything drops.  I wall off access to this room after I have linked it to the lever or repeater.  This way, anything marked for dumping will simply be tossed into the tile where it will be smashed by the bridge. 
What do you do if your dwarfs begin dumping masterwork XXpig tail fiber socXX or seeds/sand/etc to empty bags?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 02:31:32 am »

Wow. Never knew dead animals could drain FPS. I always thought that meat makes less pathfinding decisions than animals, and therefore butcher most animals whenever I can. When has this dead animal fps thing been common knowledge?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:36 am »

Wow. Never knew dead animals could drain FPS. I always thought that meat makes less pathfinding decisions than animals, and therefore butcher most animals whenever I can. When has this dead animal fps thing been common knowledge?

It's been suspected for a while, since dead animals stay in the units list forever, and that means data on them has to stay in memory forever. 

Tests from a month ago showed that butchering a few thousand of them can have a significant impact on your FPS. 

What do you do if your dwarfs begin dumping masterwork XXpig tail fiber socXX or seeds/sand/etc to empty bags?

Dumping masterwork socks is just fine.  Presumably, the legendary clothier will have produced enough masterworks by that point to stop caring.

I'm not sure what you mean by dumping sand to empty bags, though.  You only dump goods that you explicitly have marked for dumping (or are useless items auto-marked for dumping that you wouldn't want to keep, anyway). 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]