Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatically Assign Materials to Build Site  (Read 1408 times)

shoesie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Automatically Assign Materials to Build Site
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:53 am »

Is there any way to automatically assign building materials when doing large amounts of... building?

For example I want to build a tower entirely out of dolomite. If there are closer materials it will default back to them each time I build a wall, floor, stairway. I'd like to default the building materials to something specific instead of having to choose each material for each part of the tower.

Possible? ::)

Thanks!
Shoes

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically Assign Materials to Build Site
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:54:58 am »

Maybe not what you are asking, but I usually make a stone/block stockpile next to my Tower o' Doom, so masons can grab from there and haulers do all the long distance running.  You could specify the type of stone in the stockpile.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:04:09 am »

You always get presented with a list of the available materials sorted from the closest to the furthest distance (of the first example) of the material type[1], and there's no real way to say "For projects in this area, put <foo-material> at the top, please!".

Except, a common thing to do is to set up a stockpile specifically for the desired material/components near to where you'll be wanting to build.  Let haulers bring the items into that and it both sets that choice at the top (assuming you haven't got any other spare rocks at hand in-between stockpile and your building project, in your case) and means that the masons don't have to trek half-way across your map for each block, you've already got haulers (who can be otherwise idle know-nothings) and the job gets done much quicker by division of labour.

When you're designating (say) a set of ten walls to be built, with the stockpile conveniently close you'll notice your desired material at the top of the list and if you add, add, add another of that item to the list and then the distance figure suddenly goes larger than the lower items, it just means that you've used up all the local stones, but it's not re-ordering the list.  You can either accept that this is happening (but know that if you set some more construction designations immediately afterwards you're going to have to go finding the dolomite entry, again) or take this as a cue that you're going to have long-distance masons again, cancel it, redesignate the number of walls you can get away with and then set about doing what's necessary to get even more stones closer before you designate any more walls/whatever.

(Note, materials you've already assigned, no matter how close or far away, are of course exempt from the lists, so you may have plenty of stones close by, but with a huge back-log of building meaning they're all reserved.  This can be Ok, or it can be awkward and you might want to mass undesignate any to-be-constructed constructions that are not showing signs of being dealt with at this moment and redoing to 'shuffle' which ones go for which stones.  You can also make use of the Last In First Out nature to make sure that priority constructions (e.g. floors to access further extremities of the construction site) are pursued first, but may need to redo this when you add later non-priority buildings...  Sorry, this might need to be tried to understand what I'm actually talking about. ;) )

The other way I can think of is to mass-designate as to-dump/forbid all materials that you don't want.  Can play havoc with other stone industries (in your case), if you're also making stone crafts, or something, and would also mean your possibly-precious dolomite (if you don't have way too much, anyway) is diverted into mechanism manufacturer and every other stone-using craft.  But if you periodically (or at least just before you lay down some more Construction designations) go into the stockpile and make sure forbidden/dumping tags are applied to every other stone-type, then you'll only have dolomite on that list.  This also probably disrupts craftsdwarves and other artisans who are currently working with a bit of stone of another type, of course, so use sparingly.  (Or just mass-designate the area with the pesky non-dolomite rock that's usurping your dolomite's 'rightful' place at the top of the list.)

Does that make any sense to you?  Too many words, I feel, and being trepidatious about possible ninjaing by an equivalent answer given in one easy-to-understand sentence. ;)  [Yes, there was one. ;) ]

[1] Unless you switch modes to choose individual items, useful for when you're looking for masterwork beds (of either specific or no-matter material) amongst all the mundane ones.  Then it's just a plain nearest-to-furthest list.

[2] Although do Construction-building masons benefit much from being trained in the art of masonry?  I can't actually remember...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shoesie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »

No problems, thanks Kingubu and Starver you're legends.

I'd been using stockpiles near one construction but because there was clay nearby they kept defaulting to this, and the project involves water so i figured it would dissolve. Actually - is this correct? Could I build an Aquaduct from clay and run water through it, or would it all fall apart?

Shoes

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

You could build an aqueduct from soap if you wanted and it would with last forever under running water or magma.

I've never tried to build anything out of clay directly.  Hmm, that's interesting...  Anyhoo, constructions are forever.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »

I think soap might not be a construction material anymore.  I couldn't find it in the list anyway, but I wasn't looking that hard.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:28:25 am »

Hmm, I'm still on .07 have to check this soap situation out.

shoesie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:49:58 am »

or magma.

For serious? I thought magma would burn through timber structures and such? Or just fire?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:48:54 am »

You can also just go into the Stone window under Status and disable all types of stone for use except those you wish to use.

But the stockpile options are probably quicker.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36:36 am »

Unless its changed recently, constructed walls and floors etc are invincible, you can make a wall out of ice and use it to contain magma, just another miracle of Dawrven egineering.