Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The neverending fort  (Read 8247 times)

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: The neverending fort
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 09:26:44 pm »

No one yet has mentioned the limiting factor that I hinted at. A hint: it turns out that strange moods are one stopper to a fort living forever.
=Uncool-
You are right we haven't discussed strange moods, except for the whole previous page!
Yes, but it's one specific thing from strange moods that limits the fortress, and no one has mentioned that specific thing.
Bones? Gems? Stone? I can't think of anything you can't get on embark or in most embark sites unless you go to a specially challenging biome, and you could still get everything from trade anyway. And in any event, the number of moods are limited (I think) and the occasional failed mood won't impact much with propped planning.
If player intervention is allowed, then this is already solved on page 1.
Actually, no; a fort may be able to exist for a long time, but without modding d_init and init.txt, it cannot stay around forever, excluding the immortal undead.
=Uncool-
Nothing last forever, the universe will eventually suffer a cold, slow dead, but I'm sure a fort can be kept for as long someone care to keep it alive, even with default settings.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »

No one yet has mentioned the limiting factor that I hinted at. A hint: it turns out that strange moods are one stopper to a fort living forever.
=Uncool-
You are right we haven't discussed strange moods, except for the whole previous page!
Yes, but it's one specific thing from strange moods that limits the fortress, and no one has mentioned that specific thing.
Bones? Gems? Stone? I can't think of anything you can't get on embark or in most embark sites unless you go to a specially challenging biome, and you could still get everything from trade anyway. And in any event, the number of moods are limited (I think) and the occasional failed mood won't impact much with propped planning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hrm. I guess technically, you could go with always adding more dwarves than can be removed by failed moods. Would need some number of dwarves to keep arriving though. I guess children might allow it.
=Uncool-

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »

Wait, you cant trade for uncut gems? Is this new? And when did moods all the sudden require UNCUT gems?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 09:44:32 pm »

Does raw glass count as an uncut gem for mood purposes?

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »

Wait, you cant trade for uncut gems? Is this new? And when did moods all the sudden require UNCUT gems?
This isn't new; it's been that way since I can remember (v31.0something). Moods don't all require them, but most of them do require at least one, from what I've seen - a lot of moods require 7-10 items.
=Uncool-

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »

Does raw glass count as an uncut gem for mood purposes?
No. Moods specifically ask for types of glass, or for gems, and don't take one for the other.
=Uncool-

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:06 pm »

For the record, if you keep your population below 20, you'll never have a mood.

So we don't need to make a perpetual goods creating machine, we need to create a perpetual killing machine, something we here at bay12 should be good at already.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »

So we don't need to make a perpetual goods creating machine, we need to create a perpetual killing machine, something we here at bay12 should be good at already.

But you still get migrants, who come from random directions. What are we gonna do? Make the surface = magma?
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 09:55:51 pm »

One thing I do have to wonder about for this: how many dwarves are required to prevent inbreeding problems? Is 19 enough? Iirc the usual biological requirements are 50 short term/500 long term, but I don't know if Toady simulates inbreeding that well.
=Uncool-

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

But you still get migrants, who come from random directions. What are we gonna do? Make the surface = magma?
My solution was to edit d_init to leave a max population; another solution (as was pointed out by Asra) is to put statues or some other impassable building everywhere on the edge, although that will remove all trading.
=Uncool-

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:59 pm »

My solution was to edit d_init to leave a max population; another solution (as was pointed out by Asra) is to put statues or some other impassable building everywhere on the edge, although that will remove all trading.
=Uncool-

They still survive though, they just stand there. But that still gives them the mood = On.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »

Well, if we are going to the trouble of editing d_init, we can set ARTIFACTS:NO. Problem solved.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »

You can also remove the trance tag from the dwarves. This controls martial trances as well as strange moods.

That being said, is it possible for a vermin to damage a dwarf? Everything else could theoretically be walled off.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 05:58:00 am »

We don't want to wall ourselves off though, because you need the caravan for other moods (eventually).

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:21 am »

Barring walling up a vampire indefinitely, there is always a way for the RNG to kill you. Even vermin can cause unhappy thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6