Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Routes for minecarts  (Read 845 times)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Routes for minecarts
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »

Hey, I'm still figuring out how to do the whole minecart thing.
I can't figure one thing out. How do I make them turn on routes? Is there a certain way I have to set up the stops?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Routes for minecarts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:13 am »

They'll automatically turn on corner tracks, though if they're going fast enough and there's no wall holding them in, they might derail. I think if it's set to "guide" that they'll be turned properly on T-junctions and cross-tracks as well.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:25 am »

Hey, I'm still figuring out how to do the whole minecart thing.
I can't figure one thing out. How do I make them turn on routes? Is there a certain way I have to set up the stops?

There are 2 things called stops. The first is a building you put on top of a track (b->C->S). These building-stops have an adjustable friction, to slow down or stop the cart, and an optional setting to auto dump the cart's contents.  The other stop is just a point in a route.  The two types of stops usually overlap, but don't have to; you can have one without the other.

The actual route is set through the routes menu (h), where you can set one or more route-stops (h->s). You need at least one stop and a cart (h->v) assigned to the route for it to work. 

You should check the dfwiki. It's still rough, but it's already got a pretty good description.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:25 am »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I've almost got it figured out.
The last thing is, when I try and set up a route for corners, a blue diagonal line is put between my 2 start/stop points. Is that the right thing, or is the blue route line supposed to follow the track?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:43:48 am »

Post soem screenshots of it, best for others to see exactly whats going on
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »

The diagonal blue line is normal and nothing to worry about.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:09 pm »

In my experience, it is something to worry about, unless you don't mind your dwarves carrying the cart along that line.