Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Solar eclipse now/soon visible from US west coast  (Read 1608 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Solar eclipse now/soon visible from US west coast
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »

For those who don't get out much, today's solar eclipse is visible over the US west coast right now. It's not at the midway point yet. You might still have time to make a pinhole projector.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Solar eclipse now/soon visible from US west coast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »

Ah seen it! Ah seen it! Ah seen the sky git all dark and then next thing we knows it was eclipsin'!

No seriously I was just outside.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »

I saw it! My first solar eclipse, even though I wasn't in a very good spot to see it. Next time I'll have to make an effort to travel to wherever the effect is strongest.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50:06 pm »

Something I always wondered, what are the statistics regarding how many people damage their eyes from looking directly at these things? People always say not to do it, and with good reason. But I'm curious to know how many people forget, or fall for the snuck bait.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:56:00 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:18 pm »

I'm curious to know how many people forget, or fall for the snuck bait.

I saw someone do it just now. He had sunglasses and figured that was close enough.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »

Damn my being in Kentucky.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »

Something I always wondered, what are the statistics regarding how many people damage their eyes from looking directly at these things? People always say not to do it, and with good reason. But I'm curious to know how many people forget, or fall for the snuck bait.
Well it IS looking at the sun. Doesn't matter if there's a moon between it and your eyes, it still burns.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:24 pm »

Well it IS looking at the sun. Doesn't matter if there's a moon between it and your eyes, it still burns.
Actually, during a total solar eclipse (this was not one of them), you can look directly at the sun without protection for a few minutes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:02 pm »

I was able to see the eclipse and from a decent observatory. Supposedly the next time such an event happens here is ~2017.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »

I was on the wrong side of the country to see it, but my dad thoughtfully emailed me a picture he took from a pinhole.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:21 am »

Cloudy here, so it was pretty lame.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:33 am »

Yeah, whatever West Coast. You enjoy your solar eclipses for now, but when you get annihilated by Apophis in 20 years, then who will be laughing? Oh yeah, the East Coast, which hopefully will be under the thumb of an independent Best Carolinian hegemony in 2032, assuming everything goes according to plan.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 05:55:18 am »

It was pretty cool how we had plenty of clouds today. SIGH.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:26 am »

The last (total) eclipse in this country, I went to the area where totality would occur and... suffered clouds.  But it was still an experience.  I remember saying that if it was like that when I didn't see the sun disappear[1], I was really looking forward to actually 'not seeing it' in the future.

Since then, there's been a partial over my own area (not annular, which of course is something else to experience, but without the 'diamond ring' event, but partial in a similar way to if I hadn't left home for the above example) which I watched[2], but there was nowhere near a false-dusk/dawn effect.  Just the bite-taken-out.  Still I can see the wonder of any ancient civilisation experiencing it without having the advantage of an Antikythera Mechanism to take the mystery out of it. :)

(I forget when the next opportunity is, but I'm sure we'll all be told about it... Still, I'm going to go and check anyway.)

[1] IYSWIM, given it already wasn't visible...

[2] Went to the local DIY/craft superstores and constructed a pinhole device with a large-diameter plastic drainpipe, piece of food-grade tinfoil with a hole in it and some card to project upon/shield the edges.  Although in early stages I could 'glance' through hazy clouds a slice disappearing, much as I did during the lesser cloud-cover occasion of the earlier 'failed totality' event.  But I know enough not to actually stare at that, even through the clouds.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:01 am »

I forget when the next opportunity is, but I'm sure we'll all be told about it

August 21, 2017

I went to the area where totality would occur

something else to experience, but without the 'diamond ring' event

I vaguely remember having seen a total eclipse once as a child. Today's eclipse is the first ring of fire event I remember seeing. I remember the total being far more impressive. Though from my part of the world today's eclipse was more of a crescent sun than a ring of fire.

Pages: [1] 2