Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My fortress is dying  (Read 4183 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fortress is dying
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:46 pm »

I had my fortress for several years, all going without a glitch. Now everything is broken. I can see a lot of food in the food menu, all stored into the stockpiles linked to give to the kitchen. The cook refuses to cook, no unrotten food available. Same thing for the brewer. I cannot transport the bins overflowing with trade goods to the depot, according to the trade depot menu they simply ceased to exist. I haven't made minecarts or tracks yet, still enjoying the wheelbarrows. Saved game is available on request. Any idea?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: My fortress is dying
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »

Unleash HFS, have all your dwarfs fight the clowns to death, record it and post on YouTube.
Your fort is bugged to death

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

Well hello Captain...

Nevermind.

What matters is somewhere, pathing is breaking down. Burrows. Broken stairs. Dead people. These things are the most common causes of culinary fortress disruption.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »

Werty, you gave me a really dwarven reply! I think it's a good idea, at least the military and the miners are still working properly. The youtube video is passè, there are already a lot ton of those.

Loud, now that I think of that, the fortress was doing fine until some useless hauler was slaughtered by the goblins!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

You accidentally removed a staircase, you accidentally created a weird burrow, a tree grew in a path those are usually it.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »

What do you mean with "weird burrow"? I have a burrow, but it is straight underground, without any fancy paths. I have never removed stairs and there are no trees underground. Too bad, it was a wonderful location with iron, marble, coal, lignite and kaolinite!

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »

reclaim
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:17 pm »

What do you mean with "weird burrow"? I have a burrow, but it is straight underground, without any fancy paths. I have never removed stairs and there are no trees underground. Too bad, it was a wonderful location with iron, marble, coal, lignite and kaolinite!
Are any dwarves assigned to a burrow and does the burrow include the food stockpile and the kitchen?

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:53:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's a rational explanation for this behavior!

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:26 pm »

Ah!  Well, dying is an excellent way to improve the value of cloth.  Good job.  Which dyes are you using?

...Oh, you meant dieing.  :P

But seriously, yeah, it sounds like something is either blocking pathing or a path was destroyed (by removing stairs or something similar).  Double-check the paths, especially stairs, to make sure that your dwarves can get from A to B where they claim that they can't.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:29:27 am »

I've voting for stair removal.  I have twice been removing ramps and caught my main stairs on in the selection.  I vote also to make removing stairs and removing ramps two different actions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:09 am »

Ah!  Well, dying is an excellent way to improve the value of cloth.  Good job.  Which dyes are you using?

...Oh, you meant dieing.  :P
I most simply cannot let these false incitements stand!

Dieing = Dying
Dyeing = Dyeing

~Urist McGrammar

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:06 am »

Are any dwarves assigned to a burrow and does the burrow include the food stockpile and the kitchen?

I have put every dwarf on a single big burrow including stockpiles and kitchen. Otherwise I would get spammed by "area inaccessible" messages.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:26 am »

post the save--let us have a crack at it

my bet is: odd ramp removal or something broken by cave-in or a random hostile creature scaring everyone at a certain point or f.b. disease that disables grasping nerves. or magma

the burrow is probably the culprit though. delete the burrow and see what happens. If you're still getting area inaccessible pathing broke a bridge went up because a gremlin pulled a lever, something...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:43 am »

I have put every dwarf on a single big burrow including stockpiles and kitchen. Otherwise I would get spammed by "area inaccessible" messages.
If they're all in the burrow you don't need to assign them to it. Just seal off anything outside of the burrow with lever activated doors or bridges. You won't get cancellation spam that way.
Pages: [1] 2