Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are those dwarves hungry !  (Read 1345 times)

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are those dwarves hungry !
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:19:43 am »

Looks like my recruit are trying to eat the goblins I ask them to attack ...

The Recruit bites The Goblin Thief in the right lower leg, bruising the muscle through the ({giant rat leather trousers})!
The Recruit latches on firmly!
The Recruit shakes The Goblin Thief around by the right lower leg, tearing apart the right lower leg's fat and bruising the bone!
A ligament in the right lower leg has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Recruit strikes at The Goblin Thief but the shot is parried!
The Recruit bites The Goblin Thief in the right foot, bruising the muscle through the ({troll fur shoe})!
The Recruit latches on firmly!
The Goblin Thief scratches The Recruit in the head, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle through the (pig tail fiber cap)!
The Recruit shakes The Goblin Thief around by the right foot, tearing apart the right foot's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right foot has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Stray Dog gives in to pain.
The Recruit shakes The Goblin Thief around by the right foot, tearing apart the right foot's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right foot has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Goblin Thief slashes The Recruit in the head with her ({large copper dagger}), tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain through the (pig tail fiber cap)!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Recruit has been knocked unconscious!
Tekkud Thikutrilem, Recruit has been struck down.

Looks like he broke is teeth on the goblin's dagger

I had assigned this squad the "leather" uniform and had made enough iron swords previously.
Do I have to assign the weapons directly ?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are those dwarves hungry !
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:59 am »

It's a bit late for that guy.

For the rest of the squad, see what they're actually wearing (v, select dwarf, i).  Compare it to the uniform that has been assigned (m, e, select squad, select member) and then to the actual pieces of equipment that have been claimed to fulfill the uniform (m, e, P, select squad, select member).  You may find that you forgot to hold Shift when you assigned the uniform to the squad, meaning you only assigned it to one dwarf.  Or you may find that you simply didn't have enough swords to go around, so the last guy in the squad doesn't have one assigned.  If it's assigned on the m-e-P screen but not in his inventory, then he simply didn't have a chance to get it before he was attacked.

Also, even if a dwarf has his sword, he may not always use it in combat.  Sometimes he'll bash with his shield, or bite.  This is especially true if his weapon arm is injured, but it can also happen regardless.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:48:57 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:12:04 am »

Did you tell the dwarves to take short swords, or just "indiv. choice, melee"? If the latter, dwarves won't grab any weapon unless they actually have a weapon skill.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:13 am »

It's been a while since I used the default uniforms, so I'm not sure how that actually works.  But it does remind me of another thing to watch out for: if you modify a uniform, you must reapply it to the squad (m-e-U, select squad, right-right, select uniform, shift+enter).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:42:39 pm »

Did you tell the dwarves to take short swords, or just "indiv. choice, melee"? If the latter, dwarves won't grab any weapon unless they actually have a weapon skill.
ouch ... that must have been the case, i didn't know that, i'll be sure to enforce a setting next time.

unrelated, but is there some explanations somewhere to the color coding of the menus ? like the units view ? or the pasture list ? I have to confess this UI is a bit cryptic and couldn't find info about that on the wiki

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:59:14 pm »

unrelated, but is there some explanations somewhere to the color coding of the menus ? like the units view ? or the pasture list ? I have to confess this UI is a bit cryptic and couldn't find info about that on the wiki
The colors of creatures in various menus relates to whatever color their tile will be colored when you view them in the normal screen. For example dogs will be brown, children and babies will be red, and miners will be grey. You can find a list of the various profession colors on this page on the wiki.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.