Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: weaponizing the mobius loop  (Read 6552 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
weaponizing the mobius loop
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:11 am »

or whatever its called. I forget. anyways, the title of this thread may be slightly misleading. what ive got is a pair of windmills, and a set of tracks. I was hoping for some advice. here is what I have set up currently, or rather, what I plan to set up.

.|.===++++===.|.
.0.#.=++++=. #.0.
.|.===++++===.|.

for those of you savvy with DFs defualt tileset,  you may recognize the windmills on either side of a block road. but whats between the road and the windmills on both sides? a set of 7 rails and a single roller. the point of this setup is to create an ever spinning pair of death wheels. when its done, it should look like those machines they use to throw tennis balls, or baseballs, or that thing some of us had as kids for out hotwheel cars that would fling them at dangerous speeds down the little plastic tracks and into the eyes of our siblings. instead of cars or balls though, I want it to "throw" anything that walks into the path of the carts. what I need to know is, will the windmills be able to power the rollers? if not, how can I make them power the rollers? will I have to build the windmills over the rollers like with a screw pump? in short, do you think this will work, if not, how can I make it work. I am incompetent with DFs power system.

also, I am assuming there will be loss of life upon starting them, making disabling them a REAL hassle.

[edit]
oh! i just thought of something, would it be possible to power the rollers with say... a pressure plate linked to them set so that the minecart would power itself when it passes of the plate? or maybe a switch that would turn the rollers off when i dont need the carts to roll around in there circle of death? or is it not even worth it to NOT waste the materials and make this more complicated than it has to be?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:05:09 am by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: weaponizing the mobius loop
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:34:17 am »

I'm fairly sure rollers are broken and speed up even without power.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:52:42 am »

hm. I thought toady fixed that in the .09 update? still though, for now that will do then. Ill keep the windmills for decoration and something to keep the damn elves from going around. the setup is almost complete, I just need chains for the rollers now. for poetic justice, im making my carts from palm. a good way to kill elves.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:35:25 am »

got it to work once, loss of life was immense. the losses were mostly in cats. im still trying to figure out the new minecarts stuff XD. guess ill check out that "how do I minecart" thread.

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:49 am »

can you post a pic? This sounds AWESOME!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:30:44 am »

I might have to use this.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:44 am »

How many minecarts can you fit in one loop?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:22:25 am »

Shouldn't they become so fast after a few laps that they start derailing?
Not that this is a bad thing. Minecart slingshot.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:32:35 pm »

Im still having trouble with power. currently, they jut get pushed than spin around for awhile when they actually get pushed. dont know how I got it to work before. the main problem im having is that the dwarves put down the cart on the track, then immediately pick it back up to put it back in the stockpile. im currently experimenting with just one cart at a time. what im going to do is put down a single windmill on a cliff nearby, from there, Ill extend an axle to a set of gear assemblies over the rollers. my biggest problem with this is that the rollers dont seem to take power in the same way as pumps do.

what we have in the pic is my two rails, one cart that I managed to forbid for the time being to make them stop putting it away, and the peirs I built to put my windmills on top of. unfortunatly, you cannot build windmills up there, so it will have to be gear assemblies hooked to axles.

[edit] derp! thats why it wont work... I didnt know that windmills only transfer power down through their centers. its gonna be a bit more complex now, but it will be good when its done. I just hope the carts will move constantly.
also, I finally got the second cart mounted and forbidden.

[edit] oh good lord... dwarves are retarded. im getting ready to fire up the "booster" as im gonna call it, and they are TAKING THEIR BREAKS on the tracks! fine, let them be the first true victims. blood for the blood god.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:14:01 pm by saltmummy626 »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:45:00 pm »

bah! it doesn't work... the dwarves give it a push, but it looks like the rollers dont apply enough speed to keep it moving indefinitely. more rollers might be the solution, but that would be ugly and I would never be able to actually get anything to walk into the carts without exposing the axles and gear assemblies required... n anyone else ot to say I didnt have some fun with it, I now have several dwarves with broken bones. the idea has defeated me. someone who is a bit more savvy to this stuff should give it a try, imma stick with building dwarven shotguns and dwarven "slides."

OH SWEET JESUS IT WORKS!!

it appears the more power you put into the rollers, the faster they will roll! I just watched as a dwarf calmly pushed a cart on the left hand rail, that one requires 29 power, but is being supplied with 40, 11 excess power. the cart shot off the rail with enough force to cause the dwarf it hit to fly over the moat and detonate upon impact with the wall beyond!the cart is now lodged in the fortifications on the other side of the moat. good lord, THE POWER!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:52:51 pm by saltmummy626 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:57:36 pm »

Is there any way to direct the awesome energies of the mobius loop?

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:12:30 pm »

Wow, uh...

'scuse me. Gonna be attaching massive batteries to my rollers now.

How fast can a minecart go before it derails? (Currently just using mine to transfer crap from butchery to crafts  :-[)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »

Put walls at the corners in the path of the cart. They'll turn instead of derailing.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:20 pm »

Put walls at the corners in the path of the cart. They'll turn instead of derailing.

Do this and if you want to use it against Invaders or Ambushers, place it by a new entrance into your fort(preferably closer to your dining room), forbid everything, and just leave a minecart on standby until it hits something stealthed. That might be a way to weaponize it. That or just turning it on when people siege you and aiming it at the entrance.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »

Put walls at the turns, exept for one corner. Put a floodgate there.
If something hostile (goblins, elves, children) wanders past the floodgate open it. Minecart gun.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?
Pages: [1] 2