Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Activity zone selection?  (Read 1062 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Activity zone selection?
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »

How do dwarves determine which activity zone to use, when there are multiple appropriate zones for a job, and the job doesn't target a specific zone?  Is it random selection?  Selection of the activity zone nearest to the job?  Selection of the activity zone nearest to the dwarf when (s)he accepted the job?  Or is it something else entirely?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Activity zone selection?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »

I believe for most jobs whichever one is closest (straight line distance) is the one that is used.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:56:21 am »

How do dwarves determine which activity zone to use, when there are multiple appropriate zones for a job, and the job doesn't target a specific zone?  Is it random selection?  Selection of the activity zone nearest to the job?  Selection of the activity zone nearest to the dwarf when (s)he accepted the job?  Or is it something else entirely?

Activity zone?  What do you mean?  Can you give an example?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:21:30 am »

a sand collection zone, or an animal training zone

u can designate activity zone with "i"
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:36:31 am »

Sure.  I have a 1x1 dump zone sitting atop a 1x1 refuse stockpile near the aboveground butcher shop, with standing orders to dump unwanted products of animal slaughter, not save them.  Far below that I have a level I'm mining out near completely to create a fungal forest.  I need to clear all the loose stone away so it won't obstruct sapling growth, so I considered making a second 1x1 dump zone near the mine, and manually designating the boulders for dumping.  This could collect the boulders into a tidy pile I could get out of the way, and reclaim for use later.  My concern was that with two dump zones active simultaneously, meat industry byproducts might be left at the underground site to generate miasma, or boulders might be laboriously humped up 30+ flights of stairs to drop off at the surface site, if the zones were chosen randomly, or by proximity to the dwarf taking the job rather than the job itself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:38:56 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:29 am »

butcher products are taken to a refuse pile, not a dump zone, unless you tell them to be dumped, which I would consider too much micromanagement, similarly, dump marked item go to the garbage zone and never to a refuse stockpile.

otherwise, Usually closest. This is however why I put garbage zones behind doors if I'm going to use multiple, so I can lock doors and direct them to the one desired
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:46 am »

I second what Garath said, I often use multiple dump zones and my dwarves have always used the closest.  Or rather, I have never noticed anyone using a distant one.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

keep in mind that what looks closest to you may not be what is closest for them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.