Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Hauling System Help  (Read 5467 times)

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
New Hauling System Help
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »

Dear Dwarf Fortress Community

I just recently joined this forum, this being my first post. I've been playing DF for about a month now, and have really enjoyed it. However, I have spotted a glaring issue with the productivity of my fortresses as of the new update.

I don't feel comfortable enough using minecarts yet, so I have instead used wheelbarrows. While I can get my dwarfs to use wheelbarrows to haul stone and other goods to their respective stockpiles, I can't seem to get them to use wheelbarrows to haul stone to designated wall-building sites or stone-using workshops.

Any help would be nice, and increase my fortress productivity by a lot.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Hauling System Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

hey

As far as I have seen the stockpiles which use carts only use the carts to collect items not to bring them to workshops. If you want to have increased efficiency what you can do is create a centralised stockpile for say stone, which is set to use max wheelbarrows. Then set smaller stockpiles for specific workshops next to them and set them up to only take from the large pile and to only give to the workshop(also only one wheelbarrow for this one). This way you have 3 haulers running around collecting your stone then one hauler per small pile moving stone to the workshop. Another way i use is to have in one location several medium stone stockpiles that way you are able to have more barrows designated which means for a faster collection. Thats all i can think of right now, hope it helps.

Cheers

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »

Then set smaller stockpiles for specific workshops next to them and set them up to only take from the large pile and to only give to the workshop(also only one wheelbarrow for this one)
Thanks. I am sort of confused on how to link stockpiles in the way you described in this post. I don't have DF running right now though, so the solution might be staring me in the face.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:19 pm »

oh in the stockpiles them selves you can set them to give(g) to worshop/pile or take(t) from a pile or workshop

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:38:52 pm »

THANK YOU!

My apologies for the outburst, but that...

Dwarf Fortress just got about 50 times easier.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »

Lol no problem

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »

I don't feel comfortable enough using minecarts yet, so I have instead used wheelbarrows. While I can get my dwarfs to use wheelbarrows to haul stone and other goods to their respective stockpiles, I can't seem to get them to use wheelbarrows to haul stone to designated wall-building sites or stone-using workshops.

Regarding wall-building, 1 stone can be turned into 4 blocks at a Mason's Workshop, and blocks are lighter, which means shorter hauling times, and using blocks instead of stones also cuts construction time to 2/3rds for bridges (not sure if that affects other constructions though).  You could make rock blocks at the Mason's Workshop, then have them hauled to a block stockpile near where you're building the walls, which will hopefully speed things up quite a bit.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:26 pm »

Regarding wall-building, 1 stone can be turned into 4 blocks at a Mason's Workshop, and blocks are lighter, which means shorter hauling times, and using blocks instead of stones also cuts construction time to 2/3rds for bridges (not sure if that affects other constructions though).  You could make rock blocks at the Mason's Workshop, then have them hauled to a block stockpile near where you're building the walls, which will hopefully speed things up quite a bit.
Thanks a lot! I had no idea about blocks. One question though: is there any way to designate what material blocks are made out of?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »

Set up a stockpile linked to the mason workshop that accepts only the desired type of stone.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »

One question though: is there any way to designate what material blocks are made out of?

You can create a stockpile next to the Mason's Workshop that only accepts a certain material of rock, then assign the workshop to take from that stockpile (this is a new trick added to the recent DF releases).
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:39 pm »

You can create a stockpile next to the Mason's Workshop that only accepts a certain material of rock, then assign the workshop to take from that stockpile (this is a new trick added to the recent DF releases).
Alright! Thanks for all the help. I should've guessed that, but sometimes I don't use logic. I'm starting to like this update.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »

I've been playing for almost a year and didn't know this.

SUDDENLY. MY MANAGEMENT WINDOW IS FULL OF "CONSTRUCT STONE BLOCK x30"

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »

This is kinda after the fact, but can rock blocks be used in Craftdwarfs workshops, mainly in rock crafts?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:19 am »

I've been playing for almost a year and didn't know this.

SUDDENLY. MY MANAGEMENT WINDOW IS FULL OF "CONSTRUCT STONE BLOCK x30"

Well, 1 rock used to only become 1 rock block, but v0.34.08 changed that to 4 rock blocks due to the reduced mining yields in that version (25% stone drop rates now, instead of being dependent on the miner's skill level).

I should note that wood, glass, and metal blocks are still at a 1:1 ratio, not the 4:1 ratio that blocks from stone gets you.

This is kinda after the fact, but can rock blocks be used in Craftdwarfs workshops, mainly in rock crafts?

No, blocks can only be used for building most kinds of fixed-location objects: constructions (walls, floors, etc.), workshops, bridges, pillars, roads, wells, and screw pumps.  They can't be used to make crafts or furniture.

Two other notes: blocks, unlike raw stones, can be stored in bins, and since blocks are more valuable than stones, using them increases your fortress wealth and the value of rooms using them.

Keisari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:30 am »

I'd like to ask my question too, if it isn't too much of a problem. How do I get my dwarves to haul more than one unit in their wheelbarrows? They only ever put one item in the wheelbarrow, making them kinda pointless. Minecart routes don't seem applicable or practical with wheelbarrows, so I'm clueless how to get these lazy dudes to put more than 1 log in their wheelbarrow. (They can't be too heavy, 1 wood is only a fraction of 1 stone's weight.)
Pages: [1] 2