Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: is there a c++ compiler and decompiler for df.exe? i got a curse from a mummy :(  (Read 11453 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like math, but some of the members of the higher math fandom are some of the best and worst people I have known. Same is true for specialized med fields.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2) Toady has a doctorate in maths. Half of his generation solutions use high-end maths, I'm not surprised if most of his coding solutions contain high-end maths. Mathematics is a very weird science.

math is awesome!  a bastion of absolute certainty and logic.  However, 95% of the gruntwork in coding an application makes very little use of advanced mathematics.
Except everything regarding the world-gen, which uses fractals if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, but thats the exception.  Math can guide you to writing some sophisticated and cool algorithms for certain problems.  But that is never the bulk of the work.  Solving the core problem is about or less than 5%.  It is often even less, since most math heavy problems have well-known optimized solutions.  Once the problem is framed in the correct terms, you don't need to know much to implement the algorithm.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: is there a c++ compiler and decompiler for df.exe?
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:26 am »

Except everything regarding the world-gen, which uses fractals if I'm not mistaken.
I thought they were perlin noise maps?

Nope, it's fractal.
Wiki entry on the method.  I know there's an interview around somewhere where Toady describes it, and it is exactly that method.

It's also why the map sizes are "powers of 2 plus 1."  (Hint: Perlin Noise doesn't give a damn)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perlin noise can be used to create fractal maps.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile

It's all math. It's like trying to figure out the problem with just the answer.

That's a perfect analogy. Short, simple, and relevant.
Asking a computer to accurately decompile something is an impossibility on the same principles as being given the number 42 and being asked to find what operations were used to come to that result. It could be anything from 21+21=X to (2*8+(-32)-20/5)*2=X
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a perfect analogy. Short, simple, and relevant.
Asking a computer to accurately decompile something is an impossibility on the same principles as being given the number 42 and being asked to find what operations were used to come to that result. It could be anything from 21+21=X to (2*8+(-32)-20/5)*2=X

You have more clues than that, but in a simplistic manner, yes.

It's kind of like knowing that 42 is a result, as is 15, and that there's a cube-root involved.

For some languages it's easier (for example, Flash, as it preserves classes when it's compiled*) other languages, it's much more difficult (for example, C++).

*Along with all kinds of other things.  Function names, global variable names, class variable names, class names, and package identifiers.  Local variable names are the only stripped names.  I know from having decompiled my own projects.  It's possible to obfuscate things, there are several encryptors/obfuscators available, though I don't use them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:51:47 am by Draco18s »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I think the point has been made and the thread can now be allowed to die a peaceful death.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Aw, but there's still so much room left to dogpile on.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the point has been made and the thread can now be allowed to die a peaceful death.

Yeah, really Quietust.  I was hoping one more person could post and explain how the symbol table is discarded after compilation.  Now you've ruined all the fun.   :'(
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.
Pages: 1 2 [3]