Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: LP Modded MOO3 again: The stalemate of Thok  (Read 15232 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: Turns 20 to 28.
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:59 am »

Herr von Shade will get a fleet once we have the ability to build warships and put them into service. We can build little more than single seater scouts at the moment, but our research into troop drop pods will yeild 2 or 3 better hull sizes, and probably nuclear missiles to supplement our light laser fighters and light laser cannons. Revolts are most often caused early game by a percieved lack of security, especially in systems a jump or 2 away from your homeworld. Build some system ships to reduce unrest, or build some government, military or recreation DEA's on those worlds.

Bluerobin, thre will be enough worlds to go round!
This is a blank sig.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 11:28:19 am »

Especially after we liberate a few from Meklar Tyranny, lol.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 11:32:54 am »

That there will... and they will prove useful as research worlds if mineral poor, and mining worlds if mineral rich.
This is a blank sig.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »

Especially after we liberate a few from Meklar Tyranny, lol.
We are going to liberate the SHIT out of them.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: Turns 29 to 37.
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 05:19:20 am »

Turns 29 through 37

2528AD

Spoiler: Alaraph System (click to show/hide)

The distant Alaraph system for to the east has been scouted. This system is remakrable for contaning a heavily populated gas giant. So for all communication efforts have been rebuffed. Who knows what sort of creatres have evolved on such a hostile world. The system also contains a large water world, and as such could be a potential outpost for our species.

Meklar 2 (the "unseen" ones) have offered us an economic treaty.

Spoiler: Negotiations (click to show/hide)

We accept in a cool manner - more wealth to be spent on the means to take over thier brethren is no bad thing. We offer a similar treaty in just as cool a manner to Meklar 1 (our bothersome neighbours).

Research into our shipbuiling technologies is continuing well. Soon we will have 3 new hull classes beyond our current lancers: Cutters (40% larger and just as fast), Corvettes (twice the size of a lancer and only 10% slower) and Frigates (Almost 300% the size of our current lancers, but only 80% as fast). Troop pods will be ready the same time as frigates (some research funding will be diverted away from Physical sciences to energy sciences once we have transports, which should give us some better weapons), and then we shall design our first warships - they might not be much of an improvement in technology, but they will be bigger and as a result have more guns. More guns is a good thing.

Spoiler: Planets Summary (click to show/hide)

Our wolrds continue to develop well. Earth still has to export food and minerals, but USAS Farm Alpha is now self sufficent in food, more industrially productive than Earth and ready to start selling the surplus food for a neat profit. Acre Corp. HQ is performing over half our total research! All 3 worlds are becoming a little crowded, and before long I would expect another wave of colonists to start spreading off world.

2529AD

2 new systems have been surveyed by our scouts, now very far from home. Milarroll is uninhabitable, but Hayk has an ice world where we could comfortably live.

Spoiler: Hayk System (click to show/hide)

Our position has checked the western expansion of the Meklar, but they are expanding towards the west. This will bring them into contact with the gas giant dwellers, who are expanding to the east and likley to meet them before long.

2530AD

Spoiler: Treaty Accepted. (click to show/hide)

Meklar 1 have accepted our economic treaty, stimulating our economy by about 10%. Our diplomats are now following up with research treaties with both Meklar societies. Both will use reason to lay our case, as these robotic entites must understand cold logic.

2531AD

Our scouts are now entering the galactic core. It appears much more densly populated than our position on the fringes. Mattianock and Grumium are both inhabited by alien species. Mattianock belongs to our already encountred gas giant dwellers. Grumium appears to be inhabited by a species with a preference for ocean worlds, which might provide us with a dangerous competitor.

Govenors are reporting that unrest is at an all time low - the re-emergence of a once legendary entertainer has been the main factor in this.

Far to the south, our scouts in the spiral arms have charted another barren system - Mu Sygni - before continuing on thier way.

As all 3 of our worlds are now able to fend for themselves, I have cut grants to colonies and diverted the funding to our research efforts.

2532AD

Both Meklar empires have accepted our research agreements. Relations between us still remain sour however, and I cant help but think they are using us. Best to strike first maybe...

Our already impressive food output will soon be further boosted by a technology that enriches the nutrient content of soil or hydroponic farms.

2533AD

One of our scouts working its way along one of the many spiral arms in this part of the galaxy has reported an interesting anomaly. Dropping into the Altair system it detected an energy signature of a ship many orders of magnitude greater than anything as of yet seen. The pilot was ordered to get out of there, but before he did so recorded some staggering data about the size and capabilites of the ship appearing to be gaurding the system. It appears to have no FLT capability, and so whilst it may cut off access to the spiral arm beyond, it will prevent anyone in that spiral arm from encroaching, providing our territory with a very secure flank.

Spoiler: The "Guardian" (click to show/hide)

Our first spy is ready.

Spoiler:  Codename Berserker (click to show/hide)

He will shortlly cross into Meklar 1 territory. Whilst not the most covert of individuals, thier ability to carry out attacks is very high.

Meklar 2 seem to be getting bored with our continued existence.

Spoiler: A Threat... (click to show/hide)

Our engineers have sytarted tests on a troop pod design. They say a working version will be ready in 6 years, which is much earlier than I had originally hoped for.

Our second wave of colonists have left the Sol system and set up home in the Hayk, Pi Menesae and Slkim systems. They same incentives that allwed us to develop the worlds within Sol have been put in place for the 3 new outposts. Once viable worlds, Govenors will be put in place.

Spoiler: Map Data... (click to show/hide)

2534AD

Scouts in the galacitic core continue to reveal more inhabited systems - of note is the home system (judging by population) of the as of yet uncontacted Waterworlders. It is a shame that these systems lie beyond the reach of our colonists as many have worlds that would make good homes for our people. As a result I am paying less and less attention to the scouting reports and instead am focussing on more immediatley pressing things.

Berserker has successfuly taken up a post in Meklar 1 territory, and we are awaiting any information on his work.

The region controlled by Meklar 2 has been found - it lies on the other side of the galaxy from Sol. This is reassuring as this will probably prevent them carrying out offensive actions against us, or from coming to the aid of thier kin when our work in subjugating them begins. The size of thier territory is worrying, but based on the Meklar worlds near to us we can assume thier worlds are small, with low (if concentrated) populations.

Spoiler: Where Meklar 2 live. (click to show/hide)

Our industrial units are reporting a shortage of minerals. There is little I can do to solve this, as we are already mining as many as we can. Hopefully we can extract more from at least one of our upcoming colonies.

2535AD

Berserker has signalled that he is being questioned by the Meklar. They appear to be very suspicios of us. Rightly so.

Many millions of colonists are travelling from Sol to our new worlds. Shortly they will be ready to add to our empire.

Our tropp pod will be ready in 4 years, but the decision has been made to put off the design of ships until the completion of a promising technology our Physicists are calling the "Class I Shield" - a stable energy field that slows projectiles, absorbs energy from lasers and resists the explosive effect of missiles. This will no doubt increase the survivability of all combat ships.

2534AD

A number of cyber security attacks against civilian networks have begin to increase unrest. It is almost certainly Meklar 1 responsible, and as a result empire wide security is being stepped up. Our people might not like it, but they would enjoy having a Meklar manipulator around thier throat a lot less.

Spoiler: Hall of Fame (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:39:47 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

Disclaimer:  This and all MOO3 mods will only work with the physical medium sold as 2 CD's version of the game. YMMV with digitally distributed versions - sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, and those of us in the MOO3 community never really got to the bottom of that one. Its pretty trivial to install once you have MOO3 patched to v1.25.

I checked the file you supplied with the version from GOG.com - it seems to be running fine. I managed to start a new game without being prompted for the other CD. I didn't have time to check the actual gameplay for hidden surprises yet, but it looks promising.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:26 am »

I've been playing a lot of Moo3 lately thanks to this let's play, let's keep it going! Has anyone thought of the possibility of a succession moo3 game?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

Bah, real life (well, work...) has bit my ass hard this week meaning little time for bringing the galaxy under my heel. Should I survive a stag do over this weekend there will hopefully be an update, featuring a few new worlds and some new ship designs (a name theme would be nice... hint hint).
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:36 am »

Right. I am playing some turns of this as we speak and there WILL be an update later on today.
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: Turns 37 to 43.
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »

Turns 37 through to 43

2536 AD
The Meklar have slain Berserker. The manner of his death is unknown. Hopefully future spies sent to aquire technologies will fare better.

Minor unrest is being reported in the Sol system. Taxes have been reduced slightly as a result - they were needlessly high anyway.

Spoiler: Archipelago (click to show/hide)

Colonists have established the Colony of Archipelago on Pi Mensae IV - an ocean world with a large number of small islands in wide bands. WHilst these islands are barren, they can be mined for signifigant mineral output. We expect signifigant interest from our citizens in the mining operations being set up on this world.

Spoiler: Gorgon (click to show/hide)

Slkim IV has also attracted enough inhabitants to establish a colony. Gorgon will be another mining colony, as the planet is a huge terran body with abundant minerals in its crust.

2537 AD

We have established contact with the Nommo, a race of aquatic beings inhabiting the systems far to our northwest. Attempts are being made to enter a productive relationship. Further efforts at mutual trade agreements are also ordered - though I dont expect much success there. We may enter a contest over worlds - the Nommo like to inhabit cold deep oceans, and many are found on worlds suitable for our species.

Spoiler: The Nommo (click to show/hide)

Troop transport pods are in the final stages of testing. Once our first shields are ready we shall prepare for the construction of fleets with the subjugation of Meklar worlds in mind. Improved fighter engines and a device capable of interfering with the sensors of enemy ships have also been finished as a result of our work into ship modules.

Colonists are setting up home on Sol III. Even more have set up home on Farpoint in the Hayk system. Very isolated from our core systems, a combination of rate petrochemicals and a thriving ecosystem have attracted many of the scientific community. This world has been designated a research world, as both of its special features should provide a nice bonus to our lab output. Due to its remoteness Govenor Bluerobin will take over day to day running of its affairs.

Spoiler: Farpoint (click to show/hide)

2538 AD

The first in-space demonstrations of the troop pod module is impressive - personally watching our infantry use it to conduct traning drills on the Moon was a highly enjoyable experience. My researchers tell me they will have our shield generators able to support a basic defence screen in 3 years. Until then our infantry will have to make do with simulated landings.

Another spy is ready to be sent on operations. Revenant comes highly reccomended by his handlers. I have ordered him sent to the Waterworlders - we know little of them, but our efforts at spying on the Meklar did not end well for our last agent.

2539 AD

Spoiler: Nommo Diplomacy (click to show/hide)

The Nommo agree to an economic treaty. We follow up with a research treaty, which I suspect they will jump at.

Spoiler: Meklar Diplomacy (click to show/hide)

Our local Meklar also accept an offer to improve our economic ties, and make a point to tell us they like us more. I still dont like them much though.

Reventant is safley imbedded into Nommo territory. We await news of any of thier actions.

Our scouts continue to chart system after system in the galactic core, most already inhabited by races far older then our own.

2540 AD

The Nommo have introduced us to the Sesomage - a humanoid race that bear a striking resemblace to the Grey aliens prevalent through Earths history of conspiracies. They refer to themselves as the Psilon, and have remarkable intellectual abilities, even if they are physically frail. Plans are already being drawn up to steal as much technology from them as our agents can get thier hands on, but for now we are working to establish freindly reationships and mutually beneficial trade agreements.

Spoiler: The Psilon (click to show/hide)

Revenant lives up to his reputation - he has transmitted back schematics of a Nommo weapon - the Mass Driver. This weapon uses magnetic fields to accelerate a heavy projectile to high speeds, and should prove a very useful short range weapon, even if it is a little bulky. Engineers have already reverse engineered the plans into prototypes ready to be included in ships.

Pleasingly, mineral producion is beggining to get ahead of demand. Our new mining worlds must be helping here.

Spoiler: Eden (click to show/hide)

Sol III has been colonized. The planet contains a number of remarkable areas of natural beauty and biological signifigance. This, combined with our mineral shortages have led me to take the decision to set it up as a reserch world, with large areas marked off as reserves for the use of our citizens - doing anything else would be a waste of quite astonishing terrain. The world is truly deserving of its new monkier - Eden - despite its lack of a breathable atmosphere.

Commander Ivan has been ordered to retun to the fleet yards, ready to take command of any future fleets.

2541 AD

Relations with the Nommo continue to improve. They accept a trade of research data. They would not be so eager to do so if they knew that Revenant has obtained another schematic - we nw obtain a sensor system far more cabable than our own. Engineers have prepared our own version ready for inclusion in ships, and named it the High-Caliber detection system.

Finally, the news I have been waiting for - The Class I shield system is ready for operational use. The current Lancer hull has been made obsolete as it is too small to support combat capable ships. Ship engineers have prepared the following schematics:

Cutter Class:The cutter class represent our smaller class of combat ships. Much bigger than our current scout Lancers (coming in at just over 25 metres in length), crewed by 4 people, they are fast but vulnerable.

Spoiler: Laser Cutter (click to show/hide)
Fast, and with a reasonable range, this ship should be able to keep its distance and harass targets with long range fire.

Spoiler: Gun Cutter (click to show/hide)
Simply swapping out the Autofire laser for a mass driver gives us a ship designed to close in for the kill. Whilst rather fragile, it packs a punch for a ship of its size.

Spoiler: Cutter Carrier (click to show/hide)
This ship has a fighter docking mount in place of a weapon. Whilst one fighter isn't much to recon with on its own, if we depoly these light carriers in large numbers we should be able to form formiidable squadrons of versatile fighters.

Spoiler: Recon Cutter (click to show/hide)
Unarmed, but crammed with sensors. Basically, the eyes and ears of a fleet.

Corvette Class:
Corvette's are the largest design we can currently construct. More durable than the Cutter class, and only slightly slower. Crewed by 10 people, and pushing 40m in length.

Spoiler: Laser Corvette (click to show/hide)
One long range laser, and enough sensor gear to spot and hit targets at long range. A versatile ship.

Spoiler: Gun Corvette (click to show/hide)
Swapping the laser for a mass driver and sensors for a jammer gives us this ship. The sensor jammer should serve it well in close combat.

Spoiler: Recon Corvette (click to show/hide)
Capable of both spotting the enemy and jamming thier sensors. No space for weapons though...

Spoiler: Drop Corvette (click to show/hide)
Slow and vulnerable, but capable of carrying several platoons of troops from orbit to surface and back again. Will be invaluable.

Of note is that although our hull and component technology has advanced, our weapons technology has not. The near future will see returns in our added funding to the "Energy" research school in the form of more exotic weapons, but for now the tried and trusted laser cannon will probably be the mainstay of our fleets.

Construction of fleets for the subjugation of the Meklar is beginning in earnest. Funding is being diverted from civilian projects to military shipyards to boost production. A number of in system anti piracy ships have also been designed around the laser covette hull, removing the warp drive and adding more laser mounts.

Spoiler: Latest Map Data (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Hall of Fame (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Can't wait to start bombing stuff.
Remember, a dead enemy is a good fertilizer for the soil!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: The First Battle of Thok III.
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »

Turns 43 through to 53

2537 AD
We have managed to establish discourse with the strange beings inhabiting the gas giats to our east. Known as the Eoladi, they inhabit the upper lower density gas layers and move around using gas sacs for boyancy. Thier technology seems to be based around organic processes. Truly strage, but we shall endeavour to be freinds, for now. Another round of diplomatic processes allows us to enhance our trade with all but the Meklar.

Spoiler:  The Eoladi (click to show/hide)

Revenant continues to perform well. He has sent us examples of how the Nommo structure thier legal policies. These interchangable structures remove much red tape and wastefulness from thier legal procedings, and we shall be implementing them at once.

Our fighting men will soon have a new asset to support them in thie field - a "Magazine" module designed to be dropped along with them, equpped with everything a soldier could want when fighting on a hostile world.

2538 AD

All contact with both Meklar empires has been lost. All efforts to re-establish them are appearing to be ignored. We have no idea what has motivated this. It matters little - our immediate goal of subjugating thier worlds in the vicinty of Sol remains unchanged. This may be linked to the observable drop in the number of Meklar active on thier colonies. Some kind of unrest, disease or shortages?

Security ministers have told me that media reports in the Nommo empire show that Revenant has successfully blown up a number of research facilities. I would much rather him leave them intact and steal thier work, but as long as he is having fun... more fun than the Meklar spy who once cornered by our internal security agents decided death was better than capture.

2539 AD

Another spy is ready for deployment.

Spoiler: Agent Nightmare (click to show/hide)

Another top quality agent. He is dispatched to act as a liason with the Psilon, who should have some rich pickings for us to aquire.

Spoiler: Psilon Threat? (click to show/hide)

They seem wise to our plans. Smart though they may be, they do not scare me.

More bombs are going off in Nommo research labs. Revenant might be getting carried away. Our first dropships, Gun Corvettes and Laser Corvettes roll off the production line. Fleets will follow soon...

2540AD

Revenant again proves his worth. Ground troops can now be deployed with the latest in Nommo infantry technology - the personal deflector - a man portable energy shield capable of providing useful cover during firefights. Our own scientists report a new FTL drive is ready - Nuclear drive, which uses a moderated fission reaction to accelerate craft through folded space. It is currently too large and expensive to fit to our hulls, but will be useful in the future.

Spoiler: "Fact Finding Mission" (click to show/hide)

A "fact finding" mission to judge the military potency of the Meklar has been arranged. General Warhammer has been invited to hand pick 2 divisions of infantry and lead them in a hit and run raid on a Meklar settlement in Thok. A Gun Corvette will provide some cover while they land, hit the place hard and secure an area. They will arrive at thier target in 6 years. By then we should be able to bring more force to bear on thier home system of Ramad.

2541 AD

Nightmare has already begun aquiring Psilon technology. Granted, "Cultural District Offices" doesnt sound very enlightened, but it is a highly efficient way of optimising our recreational regions. Planetary govenors have been instructed to apply the new ideas.

2542 AD

Nightmare has been slain by the Psilon whilst infiltrating a research facility. No such bad luck for Revenant, who has continued to blow lots of things up.

Overpopulation in the Sol system is causing unrest. Govenors are being requested to construct some distractions in the form of recreational centres.

2543 AD

Revenant continues to be a thorn in the side of the Nommo. Our first Carrier Cutters are finished - these will be held in reserve until we can put large numbers of them together.

2544 AD

2545 AD

Biologists have perfected "Recycling Microbes". These hardy beasts actually turn waste materials into useable resources, boosting our industrial output slightly.

General Warhammer sends word that Thok III has been chosen as the target of his mission - it is undefended and has a small population, ideal for our first off world military engagement. The Meklar are sniffing around our deployment, so a small squadron of Gun and Laser Corvettes with a small squad of infantry (just incase!) is deployed to cover the backs of the transport fleet.

The First Battle of Thok III

General Warhammer was right in his assumption - Thok III is totally undefended.
Spoiler: Our target (click to show/hide)

Our landing was totally unresisted.
Spoiler: Troop deployment (click to show/hide)

General Warhammer was under instruction to find out about how the Meklar fight - to that end he deployed his troops in a series of "dummy" movements to see if they would take any "bait" before converging on any isolated Meklar troops. These instructions also placed a high emphasis on not getting fighting men killed and to pull out if things were not going well.
Spoiler: Battle start (click to show/hide)

Alas, the Meklar were cold and calculating. They clearly identified troops sent on dummy moves, ignored them and instead concentrated on our main body of men. The mission was not a success. Only 50% of our troops made it off the world alive. A loss, but one that has taught us much - we will need numerical superiority if we are to defeat the Meklar in ground combat at our current technology level.
Spoiler: Battle end (click to show/hide)

So, whilst we have the ability to deploy troops apparently at will to thier worlds and near 100% space superiority, the Meklar have shown they are willing to fight tooth and nail to hold worlds. Well, we shall see about that. We will return to Thok III, and in greater numbers.

Spoiler: Hall of Fame (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LP Modded MOO3 again: The First Battle of Thok III
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 07:44:20 pm »

I just hate it when killer robots incapable of facial expression frown at me... It is just so logic bending I want to punch physics.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 08:05:40 pm »

Clearly we need to send in more tanks.

More tanks are always the answer
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 03:57:20 am »

Tanks are some way off yet. Our current ground warfare approach is little better than the Mobile Infantry for the Starship Troopers movie...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6