Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining pick soldiers and recruit status  (Read 1037 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Mining pick soldiers and recruit status
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:21:25 am »

One thing that is bothering me about using mining picks as weapons is the fact that it will not upgrade them into soldiers, which makes it so that they receive a bad thought every time they are "drafted". Is there a way you can prevent this and make mining viable for combat use from a thoughts perspective without cross training the poor fellows?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Mining pick soldiers and recruit status
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

Not really possible. If they ever get enough wrestler skill to switch over it will remove the thought but mostly the answer is no. For the best result with pic-based military I suggest that you simply have them train as wrestlers for a season or so so they don't get the unhappy thoughts; and they build up slightly useful skills instead of worthless ones before you have them switch to the picks.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

Wouldn't adding this to their entity fix it? It would make mining be considered an actual military skill.
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:00:58 pm »

Wouldn't adding this to their entity fix it? It would make mining be considered an actual military skill.
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
Though that might make picks be considered an actual "weapon" instead of a tool for digging, I'm fairly certain that that wouldn't actually do anything to the skill itself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

You could make "picks" that used, say, the lasher skill, but that would make them unable to mine.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:05:00 am »

You could make "picks" that used, say, the lasher skill, but that would make them unable to mine.
Yeah... that kinda demolishes the whole purpose.
Probably a good idea to give them passive combat skills (your dodging, armor, shield use etc) alongside mining.
I am too reliant on traps these days, can't remember... having those skills classes them a soldier doesnt it?
Perhaps train a weaponskill to the point of becoming a soldier but not to the exclusion of any other weapon.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.