Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer mode not available in some worlds?  (Read 1689 times)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Adventurer mode not available in some worlds?
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:24 am »

Where did I go wrong that the adventurer mode is not an option anymore? The civs are alive and well, the entity tags are right, but the worlds I gen no longer have adventurer mode available for some reason. I need to have it for storytelling purposes, so this breaks my heart a bit.

Could it be a side effect of using the automagic tool to get rid of the animal people? No, that doesn't sound right.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:23:25 am by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer mode not available in some worlds?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

As long as the civs have [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [ADVENTURE_TIER:X] you should be able to have adventure mode.

Assuming both of those things are there after world generation then adventure mode should be available. What tool are you using to remove the animal men? That might have some weird side-effects depending on what it is. Also have you generated more then 1 world? It's possible you just got a world where everything died out in it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

Yeah I'll check the indiv_controllable tags to see if they're right and I used to tool that was posted here, it doesn't do anything with the entities. And no, everyone didn't die out. Well, humans did. But elves are going strong.

Thanks for the tip though, I probably misspelled it while redoing the entities to get more wars in world gen.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

As long as the civs have [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [ADVENTURE_TIER:X] you should be able to have adventure mode.

Assuming both of those things are there after world generation then adventure mode should be available. What tool are you using to remove the animal men? That might have some weird side-effects depending on what it is. Also have you generated more then 1 world? It's possible you just got a world where everything died out in it.
It's actually "or", not and; either will work. If there's no adv mode, that means that all of your entities lack either tag, which shouldn't happen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:43 pm »

Actually, I created an unmodded pocket world just for testing in .34.08, and it created a world where I could play Fortress Mode, but not Adventure Mode.  The world had a dwarven civ, but no others, and it had given me a rejection because it couldn't place a human civ.

I think it might have something to do with not having any human towns to start an adventurer out in.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »

I believe that an entity with INDIV_CONTROLLABLE must exist or else adventure mode isn't an option.  It seems a bit odd that it would depend on the existence of a civ with the same tag also rather than it just being required somewhere in the entity files, but maybe that's just a sort of failsafe in recent versions where human civs are the only ones which can actually be interacted with in vanilla DF.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that all adventurers have to start in a town or hamlet of some sort.  Without any sort of site where new adventurers can be placed, the game just says you can't have adventure mode.

Hence, no humans or other city-building civs means no adventure mode, even if there are other non-city-building civs.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:16 pm »

That just makes me wonder how this worked, though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:32 pm »

You don't need to start in a town; I've started in forest retreats, mountainhomes, shrines, caves, and even necromancer towers before.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »

You don't need to start in a town; I've started in forest retreats, mountainhomes, shrines, caves, and even necromancer towers before.

In what versions?

I just tested this by modding humans out of an otherwise unmodded game, and generating a world, and there are dwarves, there's a fortress mode, but no adventure mode.  I got a few worlds in a row to do the same.

This must be something unannounced and relatively new, but it definitely seems to be here.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »

All before 34.07, IIRC. The tower was in either 34.01 or 34.02. The rest are probably from heavy modding.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:05:44 am »

Oh, so it was because the humans were dead? How strange. Thanks NW_Kohaku, you're one of my favorite people in these forums and not only because of the splendid naga mod ( that I keep updating for myself, heh heh ) And thanks to you Putnam as well.

And I distinctly remember starting in various places, at least once on top of a necro tower ( that I jumped down and broke almost every single bone but survived, that's why I remember ). So this no human towns = can't play adventurer thing is pretty recent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:08:33 am by caddybear »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:44 am »

Sorry for the double post, but I have another question that is somewhat related. In my worlds humans either don't appear at all, all get decimated and die out. I reckon this is because of fortress defense races but I have no proof. I did change their raws to ANY_LAND in hopes of them settling in places remote enough, but it doesn't seem to help.

So, uh, what do I do?

Edit: Apparently the Animal Men Remover tool also nuked my human creature raws, that's why they never.. survive I guess. Fixed it with some raw typing magic and it's all fine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:53:48 am by caddybear »