Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hauling loop  (Read 616 times)

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The hauling loop
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

I've run into something incredibly annoying, a hauling loop. My dwarves put the food in the cart, go with the cart to the food storage and then, pick up the food and put it in the cart....

My other stockpiles don't seem to have this endlessly looping behaviour, is there something special about food? Currently this is keeping everyone thirsty as the drink and all is kept in transit. Is there some way to fix this?
The food stockpile stop is set to dump onto the stockpile, as is my other route that does not loop in this way, and it only takes from the production pile.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hauling loop
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:58:44 am »

I had same with coal. this is how it worked for me:

I had a coal stockpile. I had a cart stop directly to the south of the stockpile. A cart stood on the stop, loading.
Six dwarves were loading the cart, but no visible progress were maid.
The issue resolved when I recalled that I constructed the stop with "dump north", which is what was happening. Every time dwarf put  coal bar on the cart - cart dumped it back to the pile.

Bottomline: do not set dump direction on the loading stop.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:39:41 am »

My food is actually being loaded though. But then at the end of the line dumped and brought back to the first stop.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »

is there a food stockpile at the destination, that actually accept the food being transported?
is your source stockpile set to (t)ake food from destination stockpile?
is your destination stockpile set to (g)ive food to the source stockpile?
is your source stop set to take food from destination stockpile?

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »

Make sure there is a food stockpile where your dump location is. That way dwarves won't just carry the food back to the start.