Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Magus Chronicles: Mages, Swords, and Railguns  (Read 2648 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
The Magus Chronicles: Mages, Swords, and Railguns
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »

The Magus Chronicles

The head of the council of life slowly walked up to the dais, looking over the crowd in the square as they fell silent, the only noises being heard those of the city around them and the slight hum of the video transmitters. He began to speak. "People of our nation. The seven lords of the Western Lands have long been aggressive in their actions. However, as many of you have heard, they have set their sights on us. Though we have negotiated for days on end, and even dueled, they maintain their course. They want war, and they want our country. The Council of Life is behind me in this decision, and though I am sad to say that it has come to this, we have ordered mobilization of the troops of our army. I am sorry to send our people to war, but it is needed to protect us. The war begins the dawn of tomorrow, as decreed by both parties. We are sorry that it has come to this."

Turning from the crowd, he walked down from the dais and into the palace, his plain black robes shifting in the breeze, the runes on his arm just barely glowing. Entering the palace, he turned to his guards and gave a simple command. "Send the order. We begin. And bring me my sword."

Dawn, the Western Border.

The sky is still dim as you approach you group. Nodding to Nestren, your leader, you join them in watching across the river, looking at the army on the other side. You see some of the others fiddling with their gear as they double-checked what would be important to their lives soon. Adjusting your gear, you turn to Nestren. "So, what's the assignment?" Chuckling a little bit, he replies, "I was wondering when you were going to ask that." Raising his voice a fraction, he addresses the group, "So, listen up. Today, we're raiding through the eastern forests. Now, before any of you go asking why your new group was assigned a dangerous raid mission, I don't know. I wonder myself. However, my guess is that the more experienced units are occupied already. I trust the captain, though, so they must have had good reason."

One of the younger members of your group speaks up, a green youth like the rest of you, but only 69 years old. "So, sir, what exactly is our target?" "Well, Destival, I've been only told a certain amount, but enough. We're attacking one of their forward life batteries with the purpose of depleting their shields. Now, you're all ready, right?" Everybody nods more or less at the same time, but your nerves are clear. This is your first mission. "Good. We begin in a few minutes. Prepare, and raise your shields. Day approaches."

The Forest.

You make your way through the trees, moving as silently as possible. You check to make sure that your weapon is loose in its sheath, and look to Nestren for confirmation to cross the river ahead. Moving through the sparse vegetation among the towering trees, you adjust your concealment to better accommodate for water. You jump over the river as a group, the energy from the life running through you body. Everybody starts when they hear a crack from the forest ahead, but Nestren, looking ahead from up in a tree, assures the group that is was just a Tove.

Just as you've all settled down and are beginning to move ahead, though, you hear a slight rustle. The entire group starts again at this, looking through the surrounding forest. Just then, you notice Nestren staring up with a blank look. It flashes through your head; Wait- are they in the trees?; Just as you, looking up, see the squad of men in the trees, weapons readied, uncloaked, and all marked with the symbol of the Lords. A blur of colors flash down as Nestren shouts out a warning. Your group draw their weapons while dropping their cloaking in favor of shieds, but not quick enough- you see one of you comrades impaled on the barbed spear of the man who seems to be the leader. You draw your weapon...

Welcome to the Magus Chronicles!

This is a suggestion game, and it will be text-based. To start, we'll go with some of the age-old questions, such as...

What is your name?
Are you male or female?
What is your weapon?
(This can be any kind of non-bludgeoning or axe-type weapon, so staffs, bladed staffs, spiked chains, etc. are all ok.)
And lastly, what is the name of your squad?
Lastly, and this will become important relatively soon, How old are you, between 75 and 95?

For your future reference, the tech level in use is high-level magitech, with magic instinctive for everybody. And I mean everybody.

P.S. If you have any feedback on my writing, it's greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:24:48 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: The Magus Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »

We are Lord Archibald Hurrid the third.

A male arch mage, we wield an enchanted halberd, Sunblade.

Our squad name is Heaven's Fist, and we live our 79th year.

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:39 pm »

You are GRANDMASTER YURI ANDROPOV, a real MAN.
Your weapon of choice is a CROSSBOW. (Failing that, a SCIMITAR shall suffice.)
The name of your squadron is THE EASTERN FURY.
You have existed for EIGHTY YEARS.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:14:51 pm »

This world has railguns, tanks, fighters, etc., all powered by magic, but ranged weapons are more for long-range assassinations than for general use due to the nature of the magic shields you use. Also, I think I forgot to mention the things that resemble dragons.

Trust me, melee combat is FAR more effective when shields are involved.

Also, all weapons are enchanted by their users, so no need to worry about that.

Looking for one more input before the first update goes up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:18:12 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

SCIMITAR it is then.
Or some other curved blade, like a KILIJ, SHASHKA, or WAKIZASHI.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:27:48 pm by ComradeGafarov »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magus Chronicles: Mages, Swords, and Railguns
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »

The Magus Chronicles

You pull your staff out of the sheath on your back as you pull up a shield, the metal of the blade softly glowing with runes. You slash at the enemy approaching you with the main, curved blade, to give you room. He retaliates with a swing meant to bash through your defenses, but you hold. Turning the staff to block the incoming stab, you slash down with your staff, cutting through his shield and nicking his arm. Black mist slowly falls to the ground. Maintaining his stance, your opponent begins a series of blows that drives you back towards a tree. Barely escaping one blow, you bring your staff around so the spear point is directed at him. Lunging through his defense in a long thrust, you pierce him in the upper middle chest before pulling back and cleaving at him with your main blade. He drops, the black mist drifting to cover the ground.

You quickly look around the scene of battle- Nestren has a soldier on the defensive and is going in for the kill, but Destival is having problems with his opponent, and is heavily gashed in the arm. Several of your group are down, and the remaining enemy not engaged in fighting have formed a wide circle and are pressing your beleaguered group, and an enemy soldier is firing his railgun through one of the people in your group who forgot to put up a shield, the flaming contrail burning your vision, the three-foot barrel glowing with runes. What do you do?

Just so you know, the staff is kind of like a Naginata with a spear on the other end of the pole. You wanted a polearm and a curved blade, so... Anyway.

What do you do?

Do you:
Attack with your staff?
Attack with magic?
(Please specify, and most elemental types are good. This is where age comes into play.)
Run Away?
Sneak up on someone?
(i.e. drop shield, use stealth magic, be vulnerable to railguns and other fun things.)

Just be specific.

Character:
Name: Archibal Andropov the Third
Squad: Heaven's Fury
Weapon: Fighting Staff; "Sunblade"
Wounds: None (yet...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:32:17 am by Doomblade187 »

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:12:21 pm »

HIT THE RAILGUNNER WITH FIRE.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:42:21 pm by ComradeGafarov »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »

Which "them", again? Update goes here tomorrow. Yes, I know that barely anybody posts here, but this is as much to help me improve my writing and help me build a world as it is to run a game.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:50:55 am »

Assist Destival, and try to summon some mist to obscure sight.

P.S.
 "He drops to the ground, the black mist drifting to cover the ground."
Repeating "ground" here kind of irks me, you could probably remove the first " to the ground" without losing much...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magus Chronicles: Fireball!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:32 am »

The Magus Chronicles

Thinking quickly, you rush toward Destival's aid. However, the enemy with the railgun notices, and turns to charge at you. Being too far away to attack you with his falchion, he begins to charge up a lightning shot. Countering his blast with your own just in time, the air crackling with energy, you roll to the side and bring up a barrier of mist to obscure your vision. You then summon up a ball of fire and fire through the mist barrier at your opponent, the blast of fire destroying the mist and blasting open his chest, sending black mist flying in to the air.

Turning to Destival, you see his opponent about to run him through with a spear. Acting fast, you shout a challenge to him. He spins to attack you with the same attack, scoring your lower body as you attempt to block the sudden thrust. Trying to ignore the pain, you feint, but he can tell it for what it is and prepares to stab you. You desperately try to bring your staff around to block in time, but you can tell that it's not going to work, and you prepare your self for the blow. However, just as he's about to strike, Destival's sword stabs erupts through his chest. The soldier's attack falters, and you press the advantage to cleave off his left arm. Black mist fills the air as he sinks to the forest floor. Nodding to Destival, you turn towards the battle. Nestren has found a new opponent, but most of your group has fallen to the coordinated onslaught of the soldiers, and their leader is currently charging a spell aimed at you...

What do you do?

Character:
Name: Archibald Andropov the Third
Squad: Heaven's Fury
Weapon: Fighting staff; "Sunblade"
Wounds: one gash on your lower body, bleeding lightly.

And, of course, please feel free to critique my writing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:28:52 am by Doomblade187 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

So, is the game and/or my writing bad/boring, or am I just posting updates at the wrong time? Or, am I just impatient?

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:31 pm »

After much research, I have concluded that the best time to post is between 7pm and 11pm East Coast Time. Otherwise, you'll just get swamped down by the countless SOMETHING ABOUT THE POST ABOVE YOU and other such bullshit threads.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »

So, in the spirit of Comrade's advice, any suggestions?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:18 pm »

Raise shields?

P.S.
That last update was at 2am and I try not to be awake at that time...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

Raise shields?

P.S.
That last update was at 2am and I try not to be awake at that time...

Shields are already up. They're basically just anti-railgun measures. Timezones are annoying, aren't they?

Also, I realize that about half the posts in this thread are from me. Ah well.
Pages: [1] 2