Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should necromancers be killed on discovery?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Adventure mode challenge: Ultimate pacifism.  (Read 17157 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode challenge: Ultimate pacifism.
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »

Plumphelmetmen aren't pacifists so they can do what ever they want.

Wow you guys are really looking for ways to excuse killing. breaking their legs in a world where they can't get treatment is like leaving them to die a painfull slow death, shoot your snapping bone marrow and sending shards of it into the muscle and causing them to bleed out internally is justify by spending a day fasting?
I believe we're following Batman pacifism. Batman's never been gentle with people and let Ra's Al Ghul die in a burning train (that also probably killed people).

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:37 pm »

Wow you guys are really looking for ways to excuse killing.
It just shows that neither this game nor it's playerbase are suited to pacifism. It just takes some of them longer to admit it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 04:36:53 pm »

Vampires are eternally cursed to death all around them, killing to survive, and loosing loved ones forever, unless they also happen to be vampires. It is mercy-killing to free them from there eternal hell. I say vampires are free game.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »

I vote to kill only people who have killed others in an act that was not self defence, for doing so would prevent more death. By killing vampires you have saved potentially hundreds of people.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 04:51:21 pm »

Some would say that it's unethical to judge someone to death, but that seems like an evasion of ethical dilemma, and pure pacifism is purely irresponsible.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 05:20:20 pm »

I think some of the confusion is coming from what pacifism means. Some people ,myself included, are taking the Paladin route as opposed to the Karate Monk. Bottom line is it cool to kill monsters?

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

I think some of the confusion is coming from what pacifism means. Some people ,myself included, are taking the Paladin route as opposed to the Karate Monk. Bottom line is it cool to kill monsters?
Not really pacifism according to OP's post. That's just what most people in DF do anyway. Taking quests to kill monsters who knock over fences and whatnot.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »

yeah to do pacifism you must completely avoid and run from enemies which cuts out basic adventure mode starting players means of FUN. though that leaves advance means of FUN. Wanna be a cat bugler and steal shops and stash all the goods in a friendly bandit camp go a head just don't kill or harm any one. Wanna ride a sweet minecart course, go a head, just don't kill any one trying to get to the fort site. PS: don't kill vampires they have jobs and friends more so jobs and are often cursed by gods to live this life, if you going to out them then have a interaction to cleanse their soul... or remove the vampirism.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:54:25 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:38 pm »

Vampires are eternally cursed to death all around them, killing to survive, and loosing loved ones forever, unless they also happen to be vampires. It is mercy-killing to free them from there eternal hell. I say vampires are free game.

You are ignoring the point of pacifism.

Pacifism is a Deontological morality system.  To deontological morality, the action itself is the only thing that matters, and the consequences of your actions do not.

To say "the best way to save life is to kill of people likely to kill others" is a Consequentialist morality belief.  (That is, the consequences of your actions are what matters, so whatever causes the greater good when the sum of the moral effects of your actions and their consequences is the moral action, or "the ends justify the means".) Pacifism, by nature, eschews this sort of thinking.

Deontologically, you are not permitted to kill ever, for any reason, even if they are just about to kill hundreds of people or are remorseless killers.  They are the ones responsible for their morality, you are only responsible for yours.

That said, Deontologically, if you know someone is a vampire and you tell other people the truth, and they decide to kill the vampire, then all you did was tell people a truthful statement, and the consequences of that action are not your moral responsibility, either. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »

Deontological strictly believes that non-action could never be wrong; because killing is never ethical, it follows that not killing is always ethical. But if you have the ability to prevent killing and do nothing, to decouple the consequence is a cop-out. Granted if your only ability to stop it is to tell someone capable, then you couldn't be held responsible for killing that continued. You could remain blameless if you never handled weapons, and never pursued martial forms. So you can pat yourself on the back for being the "good man" that evil triumphs due to.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »

I require punishment my friends, I slew one of my kinsmenbolds in a rash-escape from there adorably tiny spears and bows.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

It just shows that neither this game nor it's playerbase are suited to pacifism. It just takes some of them longer to admit it.

That's why it's called a "challenge."

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:14 am »

Lots of Roguelike games have these kind of challenges built in.  Go get nethack and die immediately without doing anything.  You'll notice you've been given recognition for never eating anything, never killing anything, never sleeping, etc.  That means something when you've beaten the game after having partaken in those Conducts.

And yeah, Adventure mode is really not suited to pacifism.  That's why it's a Conduct Challenge.

Theres a lot of talk in this thread about what "Pacifism" is and what it means, the moral ramifications of not killing a killer, etc etc.  But that's not the point of the Conduct Challenge here, now is it?  Sure, it makes sense that all vampires should be killed on sight for the greater good.  But that wouldn't be a Pacifism Challenge.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 10:14:29 am »

Lots of Roguelike games have these kind of challenges built in.  Go get nethack and die immediately without doing anything.  You'll notice you've been given recognition for never eating anything, never killing anything, never sleeping, etc.  That means something when you've beaten the game after having partaken in those Conducts.

And yeah, Adventure mode is really not suited to pacifism.  That's why it's a Conduct Challenge.

Theres a lot of talk in this thread about what "Pacifism" is and what it means, the moral ramifications of not killing a killer, etc etc.  But that's not the point of the Conduct Challenge here, now is it?  Sure, it makes sense that all vampires should be killed on sight for the greater good.  But that wouldn't be a Pacifism Challenge.

You speak the truth.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »

I require punishment my friends, I slew one of my kinsmenbolds in a rash-escape from there adorably tiny spears and bows.
Do Kobolds count?

I'm pretty certain they're on a level with algae.

:P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8