Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: low FPS unusual issue  (Read 3791 times)

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
low FPS unusual issue
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:18:24 am »

Hello,

Let me describe that precisely.
I and friend started forts (as usual) on same map, same embark point.
This time we used DF hack to show up entire map (except HFS) so we did see the minerals etc.
Later we decided to stay in this setting because we had something wrong with DF hack's hiding abillity (later on it was resolved by me, but only partially).

Our forts grew in good , less Fun , way. We acquired many migrants, about 200 and FPS was like 6. Not that bad. We concluded, that DF is playable when fps is 6+.

However we had alot children there, so "operation famine & drought Burrow 11" started.
About 40 children died. During that clearance we turned off pregnancy in fort, both with disallowing new migrants entering fort.
After certain performance improvements (IO Bit software ftw), my fps (not sure about my friend's) was as it heights =  14! WOHOO!

But after that children clearance the problems started to occur.
In my 120 dorf fort (number lowered due to well-known-Fun) fps is like... 2 - 4?
WHAT THE HECK!

I tried everything.
- Using DF hack for dumping and destroying useless items.
- hiding the map (however i cannot hide caverns - they're already marked as 'hidden'. Fort does not generate any underground trees due to that.)
- butchering everything except owned animals (They will be dealt with in Burrow 11.)
- Setting whole map to High traffic
- did not notice any fps hungry hordes of monsters inside caverns.
- My goblinite stock isnt that high, about 70 goblins and 40-50% of them rats

So the question is - why the fps is soo low? :(
approx. 6 hours of sleepforting (a proper name for turning on DF for entire night) brought me forward only 2-3 months. From early spring to Late spring. Turned off pause in DF hack for purpose of being stopped by hippie announcement.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: low FPS unusual issue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

Have you tried removing contaminants from dwarves (blood, pus, etc.)? It's about the only thing you don't seem to have down on that list.
You may be able to use DFHack to clean the map too, just in case you haven't done that yet.

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:12 am »

I noticed even in .34.07 that dumping old clothing in magma improved my FPS from about 30 to 55. I think there's still some serious performance issues related to that, my FPS usually decreases notably about the time clothing starts becoming worn for most dwarfs.

Anything below 50 and I typically abandon unless I have something particularly exciting going.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

120 dwarves is a hell of a lot. Limit yourself to 80 to get all features but the elusive royal visit and your f.p.s. should be better. I didn't try 100+ dwarf fort until I got the current beast I am working on, before my laptop could handle 25-30 tops. Also above ground forts are somehow better on the f.p.s. even after many in-game years.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:18 am »

It's probably items on your map. Use dfhack to dump all the goblin equipment you don't want in the wilderness and then destroy it all, and also clean up some of the stone and other stuff on your map, especially if it's scattered everywhere and not in a stockpile.

Also, setting the whole map to high traffic won't do anything. The idea behind traffic designations is that you're giving your dwarves less places to 'consider' when pathing so they make up their mind sooner. Just set the areas you think will be used most often to "high" such as your hallways and restrict rooms and areas that are rarely used or you would rather not have your dwarves walk through.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:13:50 pm »

what well known fun are you refering to? tantrum spirals or HFS? releasing the clowns causes a big FPS drop
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:34:27 am »

what well known fun are you refering to? tantrum spirals or HFS? releasing the clowns causes a big FPS drop
Some died due to goblinite (squads train very very slowly)
Some due to cave ins.
Some due to hmmm... other sources of Fun.

I did not release any HFS, had tantrums but not spirals.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:52 am »

If you're on a Mac, tell Spotlight to stop indexing the DF folder. I find that that often doubles my FPS.
[Signature]

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:25 am »

If you're on a Mac, tell Spotlight to stop indexing the DF folder. I find that that often doubles my FPS.

.. if this works I'll dedicate my next fortress to you!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

Well at least you made me buy the Advanced System Care 3 pack, so I guess it's alright.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:10 am »

.. if this works I'll dedicate my next fortress to you!

How's the fortress dedicating going? I want to know if this actually helps anyone apart from myself!
[Signature]