Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mac issues.  (Read 1510 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Mac issues.
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:03 am »

Hello anyone who cares to help, I am having problems getting any version of dwarf fortress to run on my friends old macbook. I did the console commands right but when I try to use the command to open df it says it can not read it.

If you have any suggestions please tell me, I m dying to try the new release!
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mac issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:44:44 am »

It's a conspiracy by Apple; they're going to release a DF clone next month and want to make sure you buy it, for only $2.99.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:52:37 am »

How old of a mac book are we talking here?

DF has been Intel only for a bit now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »

2009 macbook, with a 2.4 ghz intel core 2. I am pretty sure this game should be working and I did everything right I just can't think what the problem could be. Sorry I said old mac because it looks old and thats what we call it, (cracked lid, lots of old stickers ect.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:06:05 pm by Bishop36 »
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106790.0

Maybe try this one? Sorry I use a PC so I don't really know what else to suggest.

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

I use a Mac. All I have to do is unzip the tar.bz2, open the folder and double click on df.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »

I use a Mac. All I have to do is unzip the tar.bz2, open the folder and double click on df.
Yeah, as long as you have an intel mac then all you need to do is click on the file titled "df" and it should start up fine on it's own.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:56:59 am »

Works for me.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:35 am »

Open df zip/tar/what have you and put "df_osx" folder on desktop.

Open Terminal.

enter "cd desktop" (change directory -> desktop)
enter "cd df_osx" (change directory -> df_osx folder)
enter "sh_df" (run shell program df)

I've been doing it this way the whole time I've played the game... it's down to a reflex now.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:11:58 pm »

I did exactly that. It acknowledged that it was df_osx but when I do sh df it does a few lines of trying it then says image not found.

****-macbook:df_osx ****$ sh df
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/****/Desktop/df_osx/libs/SDL_ttf.framework/Versions/A/SDL_ttf
  Reason: image not found
df: line 12:  1032 Trace/BPT trap          ./dwarfort.exe
***-macbook:df_osx ***$
***-macbook:df_osx ***$

This is what I get.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:15:17 pm by Bishop36 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »

If you want here is a nifty little app file that I've been using to start up my Dwarf Fortress without needing to use terminal or deal with the terminal window opening since DF 2010. Just stick it into the main DF folder (the one that holds dwarfort.exe) and double-click to run just like you would any other application. DF should open right up without the annoying terminal window and run fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:21:05 am »

Now I am convinced it has to be something else. My friend said he had this computer wiped clean once. Could I be missing some important function on my computer? Because come to mention it the only games that have worked so far are runescape (thought I would try) and dungeon crawl stone soup. Even other mac-compatible games have not been working.

Thank you everyone for your help so far.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:41 am »

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Reason: image not found

/usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib  <--- you are missing this file. (and possibly others)

The X11User package is an optional OS component, many users choose the default install, so they do not get libfreetype (or anything else in /usr/X11R6).

To fix you have 3 options:

(recommended) get your OS install media, and install x11, it is an optional component.

(more difficult) you can install just freetype from http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/

(easy fast band-aid fix that might not work but is worth a try anyways)  edit df_osx/data/init.txt Change TRUETYPE to OFF, Change PRINT_MODE to 2D, save and double click df, or turn it to TEXT and run it from a terminal.

X11 on the mac is a small compatibility layer that allows unix/linux programs that are compiled for Mac to work using the linux graphic libraries instead of the mac native ones. The mac port is very similar to the linux port, and is actually a unix application, not a 'mac' application. libfreetype allows unix programs to draw fonts onto the screen.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:48:44 am by zenerbufen »

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »

Oh MY GOD I LOVE YOU! It worked perfectly!

Thanks everyone who helped but thanks most of all to Zenerbufen for being my hero and i2amroy for saving me the hassle of the Terminal!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:02:41 pm by Bishop36 »

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 02:53:05 pm »

Your welcome. Which way did you use? Also if you don't like terminal windows their is a free program for the mac called Platypus that allows you to turn any terminal command, script, or unix app into a mac app. I highly recommend it.
Pages: [1] 2