Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Iron  (Read 4258 times)

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Iron
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:35 am »

This is weird, so the caravan arrived at my new fort and had no iron items. At first I thought it was just a fluke but the I could not request iron, only steel and pig iron. Anybody have this before?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: No Iron
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:17:54 am »

very often in general, but it's quite rare in specific. I've had it a time or two, pretty much everyone has, but it's not normal.

your home civ hasn't found any iron, but due to knowing how to make pig iron and steel they do provide those items (I always assume they use goblinite)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

What resources you have available depend on what resources are near your civilization's existing settlements on the world map. If your chosen civilization didn't happen to embark on an area with any iron ores, they won't have iron available.

The weird thing is that if your entity has a permitted reaction that produces bars of a given metal, your civilization will have that metal available. This is true even if the civ doesn't have the raw materials or even if they're completely incapable of actually running the reaction (for instance, if it requires a labor that isn't enabled for them). This is why you have pig iron and steel available, even if you don't have iron.

This property is actually sometimes used by modders to create metals that never occur in nature but that custom civilizations bring and use, or on races with the furnace operator job disabled to make a race that brings items only of a particular metal (not enabling furnace operator stops them from taking metals from the environment).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »

You two oughta split the difference.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:15:37 am »

you can notice if your civ doesn't have iron already on the embark screen. It will not allow you to embark with any iron items. Iron anvils are the most obvious thing going missing, they do have steel so, as explained above.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:20:31 am »

How can you have steel without iron? :O

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:45 am »

you can notice if your civ doesn't have iron already on the embark screen. It will not allow you to embark with any iron items. Iron anvils are the most obvious thing going missing, they do have steel so, as explained above.

But how does someone have steel without iron?

I can think of primarily that they import the iron and use their own flux, this is assuming though npc civs trade with other ones. I don't believe Nobles can ban specific materials anymore, so it isn't like some Communist Noble is wanting his kingdom decorated with iron fist, iron walls, with an iron well.

@ Kestrel I love the irony you pointed out.

@Verylong person who ninja'd me - Curse you for pointing it out first!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:35:30 am »

And that pun is golden.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:49 am »

But how does someone have steel without iron?

As I understand it, there's a bug that if a worldgen society has access to a reaction that produces a product, the game doesn't check whether they actually have the ingredients.  Pig iron and steel are reactions available to dwarven kingdoms, so they can produce them and make items from them (for their own use and to sell) even if they don't have iron ores or any flux. 

This will probably be fixed when Toady next gets around to poking at the international trade and trade economy, as it's an obvious problem when you're trying to make that work correctly.  There are some tricky bits, however; at the worldgen abstraction level, it "should" be possible for a dwarven kingdom with neither iron nor flux to import them from two other societies that do, produce steel and steel items, and export the steel items... but it shouldn't export more steel than it can import the components, loss of trade routes or trade agreements should eventually halt production, etc.  Access to materials in worldgen is still mostly an early-Civ sort of model, where one deposit of a resource gives your civ the ability to produce an unlimited quantity of anything that requires that resource. 

Edit: This is more of a question for the modding forum, but as I understand it, if you created a reaction that produced Iron, even if it were improbable or difficult in fortress mode, it would mean that the mountainhomes always had access to iron for starting anvils and future trade.  E.g. 10x Olivine + 2x Fuel = Iron or the like would rarely be profitable to use as the player, but should give the worldgen mountainhomes access to iron and iron objects to use and sell.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:19:25 am by Miuramir »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »

And that pun is golden.
No, the pun is ironclad.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:18:21 am »

And that pun is golden.
No, the pun is ironclad.

That's it, you've made me alloyed, no, downright ferrous. This forgery of language is making me slag, the shear madness of this has made me lose my temper! I'll see to it that your crimes are burnished! Now I'm going to put you to rust! You had best steel yourself! I'll be on top of you like a magnet a'ight? So watch your back, lest I Run you through! I'll hang your skin to dry like an ox 'ide, and cast your entrails into the sea! You must be rigid in terror at what you've wrought! You're fluxed now, done, furnaced! You were an ingot to fool with me, you must clearly be dense! I hope your skull is as malleable as your wordplay because I'm about to make an impact on your taste in humor! Your feeble shenanigans don't compress me, yield now and and it will be over quickly!
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 03:23:03 am »

And that pun is golden.
No, the pun is ironclad.

That's it, you've made me alloyed, no, downright ferrous. This forgery of language is making me slag, the shear madness of this has made me lose my temper! I'll see to it that your crimes are burnished! Now I'm going to put you to rust! You had best steel yourself! I'll be on top of you like a magnet a'ight? So watch your back, lest I Run you through! I'll hang your skin to dry like an ox 'ide, and cast your entrails into the sea! You must be rigid in terror at what you've wrought! You're fluxed now, done, furnaced! You were an ingot to fool with me, you must clearly be dense! I hope your skull is as malleable as your wordplay because I'm about to make an impact on your taste in humor! Your feeble shenanigans don't compress me, yield now and and it will be over quickly!

This is sheer win. The wonder of your words, it drives me to tears!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 07:17:27 am »

And that pun is golden.
No, the pun is ironclad.

Now I'm brazen, I'm bronzed,
You defy my silver lining?
Inlay yourself, with my platinum puns of glory,
Don't even bother trying to resist, on the Rockwell scale I eat diamonds,
Malleable? My pun malle-ability is unparalleled, a lattice, a wire, fine yet impossible,
Rigid, not brittle, I will not need to steel myself,
An impact only shines, stupendously, sincere, sonorous in nature, elastic in quality,
My puns, are more reactive, than potassium,
radioactive, a horneblend of every single mix,
Valuable, rare, and truly aluminium,
Fluid, dynamic, a real Queen mercury
Why don't you bend your knee, and please, do accept defeat,
For my puns are so airtight that they will never rust,
Whilst yours are barely even magma-safe!

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:39:42 am »

^Oh Armok what have I wrought?!?

Thanks for responding to my inquarry guys. ;)
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@
Pages: [1] 2