Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No Iron  (Read 4253 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: No Iron
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:21 am »

^Oh Armok what have I wrought?!?
Oh you.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

As I understand it, there's a bug that if a worldgen society has access to a reaction that produces a product, the game doesn't check whether they actually have the ingredients.  Pig iron and steel are reactions available to dwarven kingdoms, so they can produce them and make items from them (for their own use and to sell) even if they don't have iron ores or any flux. 

I agree that technically this can be seen as a bug but game play wise I think it is very useful. If your civ wouldn't have any iron and no steel that would mean that you can't get an anvil and so you will never get any metal industry (I doubt the elven traders will bring one) As is a steel anvil costs 300 embark points, which is pretty steep, and if you don't buy it you probably have to request it from the liaison so it takes almost 2 years until you get it. So a home civ without iron makes life harder but not impossible as it should be.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:56 am »

I had the same deal, steel anvil was on my embark items list instead of iron anvil.  No points to spend on my dwarves until I rearranged the items.  I was too cheap to buy a steel anvil from the dwarven caravan, but I did get an iron one from the humans.

I do think that the game should be harsh, and check that your civ has the ingredients for the reactions they know about before letting you choose them.  However, it should also consider inter-civ trading and allow you to use things from other civs at a higher cost.
Pages: 1 [2]