Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!  (Read 14349 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:00 am »

Now we need dwarves telling the elves that they drink their milkshake!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 10:10:31 am »

Awesome. Extra points for the turtle on the money.
It's 1☼, although a currency based entirely of turtle would certainly make great sense... In some ways.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »

I didn't mean the current pressure system, since that is meant to model only hydrostatic pressure.  Rather, I'm just thinking of a simpler and more "gamey" system, where there are "extra" units of oil or gas that will start spurting outward that count as hidden pressurized amounts of that oil or gas until all the "extra" tiles have been used up.  How much the oil will have been compressed and hence, how much "extra" oil there will be would be based upon the mass of stone that was lying on top of that oil when you embarked.

That way, it's not doing any serious calculations in-game except "is containment breached".  When you actually hit the pocket, it starts spewing out the extra tiles of oil until all the extra tiles are gone unless you can recontain the oil (in which case, the extra tiles are still kept contained until it is tapped or breached again).
So would the extra tiles be stored in the oil tiles, or would it be stored in the pocket itself? Because if it's the former, the game would need to be able to group all of the connected oil tiles so that it can spurt up as a group.

Also, what would happen if you dug into the side of an unbreached pocket?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 03:15:26 pm »

So would the extra tiles be stored in the oil tiles, or would it be stored in the pocket itself? Because if it's the former, the game would need to be able to group all of the connected oil tiles so that it can spurt up as a group.

Also, what would happen if you dug into the side of an unbreached pocket?

It would be stored in the "pocket". 

There's no way to do fluids in a way without tremendous hits to FPS without working on fluids being run as whole-bodies across multiple tiles, so I'm assuming that any fluid rewrite will involve fluids as bodies.  The pressurized extra oil would just be part of that body.

And if you dug into the side of a pocket, it would spurt pressurized fluid out sideways just as much as it would upwards.  I hope you have doors set up in an airlock system in your fort if you strike one of those by accident.  Otherwise, Fun will ensue.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:38 pm »

Then you mod in your entire organic chemistry textbook. I promise I will play your mod if you do that.

Dear Toady,

Please add primitive chemistry to Dwarf Fortress. I think it would be really awesome to play around with chemical reactions on an iron age level of technology.

Yours truly,
Pharaun

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »

Then you mod in your entire organic chemistry textbook. I promise I will play your mod if you do that.

Dear Toady,

Please add primitive chemistry to Dwarf Fortress. I think it would be really awesome to play around with chemical reactions on an iron age level of technology.

Yours truly,
Pharaun

You know, in a high fantasy game like DF, "chemistry" usually means "alchemy", and that, in turn, often means "potions of make my hands catch on fire so when I punch people, they catch fire".  People tend to look forward to that sort of stuff. 

Besides that, they did have chemical reactions (not even counting things like fermenting alcohol or distilling liquids or curing leather...) so not having some elements of chemistry would be very weird.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pharaun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 02:14:37 pm »

You know, in a high fantasy game like DF, "chemistry" usually means "alchemy", and that, in turn, often means "potions of make my hands catch on fire so when I punch people, they catch fire".  People tend to look forward to that sort of stuff. 

Besides that, they did have chemical reactions (not even counting things like fermenting alcohol or distilling liquids or curing leather...) so not having some elements of chemistry would be very weird.

Oh, not alchemy like "I just made a potion that X". I was thinking primitive chemistry (alchemy) like "I just accidentally the Greek Fire and now everything is burning".

"You see, my lord, we were looking for a way to turn lead to gold. How were we supposed to know that chlorine gas was so dangerous? Don't call the hammerer."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:22:20 pm by Pharaun »

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »

Wow... Four pages and not one mention that Dwarf Fortress already has oil?

Gather Plants/Farming (Quarry Bush) -> Process to Bags at a Farmer's Workshop to get Rock Nuts -> Mill at a Quern/Millstone for Rock Nut Paste -> Press at a Screw Press for Rock Nut Press Cake and a Jug of Rock Nut Oil

You get cake and oil!

What more could a dwarf want?  (Other than the ability to set that oil on fire so it could be dumped on his enemies?)

;) :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:31:05 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »

Giving dwarves chemistry is like giving toddlers permanent markers. Amusing for a second until you realise just what horrors you have wrought upon yourself.
And REALLY funny if it doesn't affect you or your property in any way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:53 am »

Oil would be fine, especially if Toady could fill areas with oil or tar with monsters(probably undead fossils or something) to keep things FUN!

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:51 am »

Giving dorfs Chemistry would be amazing. I hope Toady does this. When this happens, I can't wait to incorporate DF into our sex life, since she's a Chem Eng and everything. This is perfect.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:23 am »

Oil would be fine, especially if Toady could fill areas with oil or tar with monsters(probably undead fossils or something) to keep things FUN!

As cool as running across undead veloceraptor fossils would be, I suspect that Toady's bent for realism would mean that he'd respect the fact that actual oil comes mostly from ancient algae from a geologic period before dinosaurs existed, and the dominant form of life was insects (which lacked bones to make into skeletal fossils). 

That said, the idea of digging up a stegosaurus fossil in an evil biome that pops out and starts wrecking the place is something I might have to add to a mining suggestion, now.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:12 am »

As cool as running across undead veloceraptor fossils would be, I suspect that Toady's bent for realism would mean that he'd respect the fact that actual oil comes mostly from ancient algae from a geologic period before dinosaurs existed, and the dominant form of life was insects (which lacked bones to make into skeletal fossils). 

That said, the idea of digging up a stegosaurus fossil in an evil biome that pops out and starts wrecking the place is something I might have to add to a mining suggestion, now.

I can picture having tar-monster forgotten beasts emerging out of tar pits.

As for implementation, I would go with both veins and clusters. and that idea about having an 'overflow count' would probably be best, unless Toady decides to rewrite everything. It would also be nice to get tar-pits/bogs on the surface that would probably act like an oil aquifer or something.

Oil should, due to high boiling point, be able to be used as boiling-oil for defencive purposes, though I'm not sure how you would go about heating it unless a new building is added.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 11:07:06 am »

Wouldn't boiling water be much easier AND more true to actual history?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 02:15:24 pm »

Wouldn't boiling water be much easier AND more true to actual history?

Water dosen't tend to stay boiling, it turns to steam (which also need working on). and we have had boiling oil for hundreds of years (you literally just scope it up from the marsh and put it in a pot heated by a fire).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6