Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using Minecarts  (Read 3762 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using Minecarts
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »

Do minecarts work for hauling stuff up as well?  Or are they purely downhill things?  (in which case a garbage chute seems like a better way to do it)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 03:47:24 pm »

...however, the minecart on the surface isn't being filled. Is there something I'm missing?

You have to both assign the stockpile to the stop with [s], and tell the stop to take the item type you want with Enter.
Oops. Heh, I knew it was something obvious...

Do minecarts work for hauling stuff up as well?  Or are they purely downhill things?  (in which case a garbage chute seems like a better way to do it)
Minecarts work both ways, although you have to take some step or another to make minecarts beat the force of gravity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 12:29:21 am »

...however, the minecart on the surface isn't being filled. Is there something I'm missing?

You have to both assign the stockpile to the stop with [s], and tell the stop to take the item type you want with Enter.
Oops. Heh, I knew it was something obvious...

Minecarts work both ways, although you have to take some step or another to make minecarts beat the force of gravity.
All you need is willpower

mugglewump0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 07:29:34 am »

Another thing How would I set up my minecarts to automaticall grab magma and bring it back up to my fortress sort of a cheap way to bring up magma

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

so far i have only tried an automated water delivery rail, but it should be applicable to magma (should probably use metal carts thou)

the tricky bit is the loading station,
you dig a chanel 6squares long (i use 10, but i think 6 or 7 is the minimum) on (z0)
remove all but the first and last square of the chanel (z-1)
carve (or construct) tracks on z-1 and make a circular track to where you want the water/magma to be dumped
build a roller in the chanel [extend it over the ramps) (i use minimum power cos water doesnt fill if the cart passes too quickly)
provide power to the roller (everything should probably be magma safe)
you have allready chosen the direction of the track when placing the roller, so now you must construct a wall on the entry side of the chanel over the second square, so when a cart aproaches its pushed down on the ramp (else it will skip on the surface (z0)

edit: flood the filling chamber (z-1) with the liquid of your choice (i use a pressurized system with a diagonal tunnel to the filling chanel)

if your track goes up z levels you should probably provide rollers for it, my advice is to put control doors on levers on the track so you can stop a runaway cart rebouncing from a wall to a roller and back..

the unloading station is a single stop element build on the track beside the water/magma cistern
it should be set to lowest friction and the dump direction should be set

STARTING AN AUTOMATED TRACK
place a single track NEXT TO a sharp turn so a dwarf could push an empty cart on the not conected circular track
make a new route, set the only stop on this one piece of track, set stop options to push the cart when its empty always and assign a cart to make it run
dwarves should bring the cart and push it in the chosen direction, the cart skips on to the circular track and from here on must rely on rollers to get it all the way around.
As of 34.09 dwarves will not chase moving minecarts

other tricks:

it is possible to turn arround a moving cart by making a track that ends with 1 sharp turn and 3 counter turns, making the cart drive in a small circle, skiping back on its original track, still retaining some speed, just dont forget to put a stop max friction element on your loading station, and set route to one stop only, on the loading station/stop element, set to dwarves push cart when its full of desired stuff

it is also posible to make a bidirectional single lane automated set, using rollers on both ends of the track and a starter element just beyond one of the rollers, dwarves pushing a cart from the route stop square directly on to the roller
(can be used for water/magma or gauntlets/defences/FUN)

dwarves ignore roller efect when guiding a cart, so if rollers are a problem, you can set up a slower carting system using the dwarves guide carts setting

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:32:40 am by Abysium »

mugglewump0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:46 am »

ok so literally if an empty cart passes below a waterfall of magma and passes straight through the waterfall it would fill up?

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 07:28:48 am »

no, as much as i tried, waterfall filling doesnt work and just wastes your fps
you need to submerge the cart in 7/7 liquid for it to fill

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:39 am »

So, can you make specific dwarves board minecarts in a specific place?

I sense a noble disposal system.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:05 am »

No and yes.
If you lock nobles in a room with a minecart so they're the only ones who can start the route, you might have something there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:37 pm »

another posibility would be using burrows

having a suicide track with the starting point in a burrow, that you would only assign to the 'suicidal' dwarves
ofc, this only works if you got everyone else assigned to a burrow that doesnt include the suicide rail starting point

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »

unless Im mistaken
it has become impossible to place rollers on ramps with version .10
becouse of this, the previus liquid loading technique is no longer viable

ill test it some more
is anyone able to put rollers on ramps with the new version?

edit:
its possible to load carts by submersion, but its harder due to not being able to put rollers on ramps
to get the cart out of the loading pond, one needs it to have sufficient momentum when entering... it works, but i wouldnt want to depend on somthing so unreliable, since it tends to stop on the ramp every n-th time

also, climbing ramps is currently possible (if not submerged) by using a 1*1 roller on each z level just before the ramp (i use highest speed setting for it to work)

edit:mud on tracks seems to no longer be a problem with cart routes

also: it is possible to have a trackless route (which works extremly slow, but does make sense)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:13:03 pm by Abysium »
Pages: 1 [2]