Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Minecarts  (Read 3767 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Using Minecarts
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:08 am »

How would I use minecarts to

A. cart stuff around? I assume the hauling menu is involved.
B. Kill the tribe of olm men in my caverns?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Using Minecarts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:20 am »

To cart stuff around with minecarts, you need:
Two stockpiles, one at each end of the track.
Track
A minecart

You use the hauling menu to designate the minecart stops (it's not hard to work out) and set it to take from one stockpile at one stop and give to the other stockpile at the other stop. Everything then just works.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:59:17 am »

It depends on the layout of your track, but you'll probably want to set the stops to "guide [direction] when full". A push will work if your track is mainly downhill, but this runs the risk/benefit of casualties.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »

Alright, so there has to be a stockpile at each end?

Could I, say, fill a minecart with training weapons and send it down into the caverns towards the unsuspecting olmperson tribe somehow?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »

Any suggestions on how to use them as weapons? Would my idea work? Would I need to get a stockpile on the other end to get them to toss the minecart off the track or something?

And, while I'm on the topic, how do I power rollers?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

The tutorial thingy didn't seem to say anything about this...are dwarves supposed to automatically haul minecarts to the hauling routes?
Sig

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »

You have to assign the cart by selecting the route and hitting [v]ehicle.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:41 am »

Any suggestions on how to use them as weapons? Would my idea work? Would I need to get a stockpile on the other end to get them to toss the minecart off the track or something?

And, while I'm on the topic, how do I power rollers?
You can connect power to their tile like any other mechanism, but right now they run even when unpowered.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 04:25:37 am »

...but right now they run even when unpowered.

This was fixed in 0.34.09, although I haven't checked.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 04:41:08 am »

...but right now they run even when unpowered.

This was fixed in 0.34.09, although I haven't checked.
Oh whoops, I didn't see that

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:15:09 am »

Do rollers transfer power?

...Is there a page on the wiki with minecarts? Oh, yeah, there is. Hold on a sec...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:48 am »

Alright, I've got two tracks, one to dump wood down a hole from my aboveground stockpile and one to bring a cart of crafts to a stockpile by my depot. Aside from a broken finger resulting from clumsy garbage dump designations whilst clearing out the destination stockpile, nothing really went awry (the dwarves don't seem to want to empty it, though); however, the minecart on the surface isn't being filled. Is there something I'm missing?
Sig
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:44 am »

Do rollers transfer power?

...Is there a page on the wiki with minecarts? Oh, yeah, there is. Hold on a sec...

There is, but it doesn't answer your question, which I would also like to know.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:09 am »

...however, the minecart on the surface isn't being filled. Is there something I'm missing?

You have to both assign the stockpile to the stop with [s], and tell the stop to take the item type you want with Enter.
Pages: [1] 2