Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The new stockpile behaviour is very helpful, except when it's not.  (Read 8442 times)

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new stockpile behaviour is very helpful, except when it's not.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »

Yea, I'm particularly fond of no longer having to burrow my dyer to make sure he doesn't waste time making sugar and flour.

boobah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

I hope dorfs would use wheelbarrows instead of bring bins/barrels/pots to pick up (multiple) things.
And stockpiles can have more options like dwarf use wheelbarrows everytime or only if to bring heavy things(settings like pressure plates).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:18:53 pm by boobah »

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

One thing that's a bit annoying is that, as opposed to just discarded pieces of clothing lying around, I now tend to end up with entire bins being dropped in random places. I'm not quite sure what exactly causes this, maybe militia members.
I've also experienced the unavailable materials issue, primarily with dye. Specifying the workflow more with clearly assigned staging and production stockpiles did help, but it's still an issue. I'll try disallowing barrels. Generally speaking though, it's great that dwarves now also seem a lot more proactive about putting stuff in bins and or pots in existing stockpiles. I used to have them clogged up with plants/food/pieces of clothing, not any more.

Dogamus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »

the container hauling deal needs to be toggleable. this spam is getting ridiculous.or a new setting in stockpiles or something. mabe a setting that keeps containers in a certain stockpile from being hauled. seriously. under the right conditions this could be crippling.

Tripphippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

Before deciding if a dwarf is going to carry the bin or carry the object he should compute his speed with both options and multiply out by tiles-pathed. Shortest time should be used. So if the object is close and the bin is far or heavy it would take the object to the bin, but if the object is far and the bin is close and light it would take the bin to the object.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:09 pm »

Before deciding if a dwarf is going to carry the bin or carry the object he should compute his speed with both options and multiply out by tiles-pathed. Shortest time should be used. So if the object is close and the bin is far or heavy it would take the object to the bin, but if the object is far and the bin is close and light it would take the bin to the object.

Inefficient method for cpu processing, on another note just make a buffer zone followed by a large stockpile. Alternately you can make several small buffer zones to take from specific areas and what not, or you can also add several buffer zones that take from the larger pile and give to workshops.

Just remember to disable the bin/barrels on the buffer so they will never take the bin to collect, also make sure to disable the take from anywhere on the large stockpile and link it to all bufferzones that you have for it. Also the buffer zone can be right next to a work shop and it speeds the supply chain up a lot.

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »

For me it's going to be the cleanup following the first major siege. Man, with 100 dwarves that used to take a full season, at which point I'd just get sieged again. I'm really looking forward to seeing that take days instead of months.

I've found that the new hauling behavior is very bad when cleaning up after sieges.  Instead of going outside to pick up a discarded gauntlet, a dwarf brings the ammo bin outside...then he gets ambushed, drops the bin and runs.  As a result not only is one piece of trash stuck outside, the ambushers are now holding hostage a bin containing all my adamantium shields.

It's about par for the course for dwarf intelligence, mind you.  I just think it's more frustrating than the old method.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »

It requires more micromanagement when setting up the stockpiles.  In the case of masterworks or really important stuff, you should always have (2) stockpiles.  One, without any bins, pulls from everywhere, the second, which uses bins, is only allowed to pull from the first.

Which also means lots of intermediate collection stockpiles near the entrance to the fortress to scoop up all the goblinite before sending it down into the bowels to be melted / used / dumped.

azach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 06:43:03 pm »

Note : This turned into a pretty damn long rant that veers off and on-topic. I do apologize and don't mean to thread-jack, but this turned out to be highly therapeutic as I was about to start my own tantrum spiral when I last shut my game down. I'll try and spoiler the off-topic and overly ranting parts for those who don't want to hear about the best fort ever. EVER.

As a new player I've been pretty well flabbergasted and infuriated by the hauling/stockpiling thing. Things work okay at first, but every time I try to specialize and expand an industry beyond "grab everything from everywhere and do stuff to it" things get all wonky. Barrels seemingly glued to the ground in one stockpile, dwarves picking up containers and running off with them (Really? A seed barrel with a bajillion seeds to pick up the one seed under the still?), stockpiles that should be snagging things but sit empty, etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just can't seem to get barrel and bag management straightened out. I'm getting closer at least. Small stockpiles and staging stockpiles seem to be key. That said, there are a lot of nuances of the system I still can't figure out. They're not adequately explained in the wiki (at least to the depth or simplicity I apparently need), and I can't readily find an explanation or solution on the forums. Such as empty barrels can be stored in furniture stockpiles, or various food stockpiles. The food stockpile barrels are what the max barrels setting is for, though how all these interact with one another and when workshops and other stockpiles can take from them is fairly "spooky action at a distance"-y for me.

Obviously both stockpiles can't take from each other or there'd be a never-ending job list of moving barrels back and forth. So do the furniture stockpiles and workshops take empties from the food stockpile (assuming they're not prevented by linking)? And is there some method for preventing all my bags being used to hold one seed? I think this is where the staging stockpiles come into play, though I'm hazy. I'll have to re-read this thread. Again.

One more rant since I actually do feel a lot better about my fortress after venting a bit here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »

"my mayor went nuts, dragged a corpse to the butcher shop and made a coffin out of him."

Please let us know who you assigned to be buried in it.

The Mayor?, the Victim? a Vampire?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

azach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

"my mayor went nuts, dragged a corpse to the butcher shop and made a coffin out of him."

Please let us know who you assigned to be buried in it.

The Mayor?, the Victim? a Vampire?

Nobody as of yet. I'm sitting on it and an artifact door. I was thinking the door will go into the biggest central office but no definitive plans for the coffin. Perhaps, if my fortress survives long enough, I'll bury the first truly legendary military dwarf that dies on me. Or if any other dwarves do something truly legendary. I plan to go exploring the caverns with this fortress if I get things nailed down enough, so there should be ample opportunity for one to both rise and fall. Maybe I'll put it up on a pedestal somewhere fancy. A giant golden pedestal at the entrance or something. Like those cars at the shady dealership places.

Edit : Good news! I managed to flip the switch before the lower levels flooded on the cistern fill this time. My dwarves are happy as hell, but my FPS went from 100 to the 30's. Painful. Perhaps too painful to use. The stockpiles are also a god damn mess still.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:02:17 pm by azach »

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:07 am »

Ya, i'm really loving the new stockpile set up...however, i've been noticing the glaring flaws that arise at times: such as "out of seeds" when i KNOW i just saw 80+ plump helmet spawns in my kitchen screen a second ago.

I think that stems more from using old stockpile methods, than working with the new ones. Minecarts seem to be a big addition to the game, and we are incented to use them by using more stockpiles. So while the setup time is more, sometimes considerably, when everything is set up properly I would wager that things run far smoother than before.

That said, I would like to see some tweeks to the system to make it less of a headache for simpler things. Why not remove the "use barrel/bin to pickup stuff" behavior and just use wheelbarrows? From what i've seen, wheelbarrows are mostly useful for stone, and pretty much only stone stockpiles...or to simply limit the haulers that would use one to keep long production chains running smoothly.

However, since dwarves have a tendency to run around with full (heavy) barrels, you probably might start allocating wheelbarrows to non-stone stockpiles...cut the middle man, and just have dwarves leave containers but take wheelbarrows if the stockpile is assigned any. Then they can do the good 'ol "fill up 10 items from the crafts shop, or mason shop" without carrying your other goods (more important with seeds, plants, cloth, etc) with them and throwing them into limbo; potentially interrupting your production chain.

Can anyone tell me why this would be a bad addition?

This new system is...well new...so I'll expect it to get refined as time goes on. And do hope this change is a rather short-in-coming one ^_^

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 04:26:59 am »

So they can take multiple items in a wheelbarrow?
If this is the case i'll use staging stockpiles with no barrels/bins and wheelbarrows assigned to it, these will give to the larger stockpiles which have bins/barells.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:39 am »

No, I don't think they can put multiple items in a single wheelbarrow. Except for things contained in bins and barrels, of course. Bitharne's point was that that would be an excellent feature to put in the game, and I agree.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:26 am »

Yes, it would be nice if wheelbarrows would be used in a manner like portable bins.  Toady would probably also have to rewrite things that allow dwarves to consolidate items from one container into another.

Wheelbarrows (from my experience) are useful in the following circumstances:
- Stone stockpiles
- Furniture stockpiles (some metal furniture weights a heckalot)
- Metal bars in bins
- Anything else where the sum of everything in the bin is over about 100(?) or approaches the weight of a single stone

Pages: 1 [2]