No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 263030 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4005 on: August 23, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »

"You get used to it," Gizogin said seriously.  X placed the beaker of liquid in the center of the room and stepped back.

"Okay, I'm going to give it a spark.  We'll see what happens," X said.  He conjured up a tiny fireball and flicked it at the beaker.

[Hugo, it's up to you now.  I'm going to bed.]
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

[You know, I'm honestly not sure which it should be. Flamable? Venom? Maybe flamable venom, that may or may not be the active fuel and could just happen to be flammable? Help me out here.]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:40 pm »

[Ok.... hypothetical nastiness time!]

[It could concievably be both, and more.  Let's say you have 2 glands. One produces an organic soup that is both toxic and flamable. The other produces something like fuming nitric acid, or hydrogen peroxide. This gives you 3 breath attacks: 1) an incopacitating sprayed venom containing volatile organic compounds, like formaldehyde and a host of other organic waste products. (Based on what's in your bloodstream). 2) a highly corrosive breath attack that is either extreme acid (nitric acid based), or combustion and instantaneous wound inflicting peroxide, and of course, both together, creating chemical combustion based fire. I suggest the compounds I do because they are theoretically possible. Nitric acid can be produced from ammonium salts using enzymic catylists. Ammonium salts are a metabolite of digestion of protiens. Nitric acid is actually a gas, dissolved in water. It could be possible for you to exhale it as a concentrated vapor, of your lungs can do the needed chemistry. Hydrogen peroxide can be produced from water. This is the oxidizer used by bombadier beetles.  Organic slurry can be produced by a huge number of processes too numberous to list. The described substance sounds like such a concoction. ]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

[The most natural way for you to breath fire would be the bombardier beetle method, that is mixing Hydroquinone and Hydrogen Peroxide in a heavily muscled chamber to protect your soft weak dragon flesh. You'd also need baroreceptors in the chamber to detect the right level of pressure to jet the burning liquid through a ureter like tube, similarly insulated (the liquid usually sits at about 110C, and it's sticky. It won't immolate, but it burns severely.)]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »

[He is also a dragon, and may have the organic reactant (doesn't necessarily need to be hydroquinone, other organic compounds would suffice. V2 rocket fuel was peroxide and kerosine, IIRC. A low density lipid at a high temp mixed with peroxide *will* ignite. Pure peroxide poured onto a leather glove will catch it on fire, and leather is considerably less volatile) at a very high temperature, due to his innate high body temp.  This means the reactants will already be very near boiling before mixing. The reaction would be.... explosive.]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:32 pm »

[dragons in DF are not naturally affected by heat, internally or externally, even though they have a normal average body temperature. Hugo took an extended swim in magma.]

Eric was getting bored again. Dig, dig, dig all day, eat lunch and sleep like a bear. And probably look and smell more and more like an ancient black bear with mange every passing day. Digging was easy, though, compared to acting like a normal human being.

The remaining third or so of the food stockpiles was now prepared to be salvaged, with the ceiling and floor reinforced where necessary. That would probably be around a 400% increase in the available food supplies. He sent one of the workers up to tell the food management department, while the rest turned their attention to finding safe passage past the first cavern. Everything below would likely be in better condition, and the survival bunker was almost guaranteed to be safe from most of the action.

"Hopefully there won't be any crundles around..." he mumbled as he stomped back out into the hall to find cavern access.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:39:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:53 pm »

[The problem is the extreme reactivity of the oxidizer.  Like I said, pure peroxide on a leather glove will start a fire.. Containing the peroxide in a storage organ would be a tricky feat. Bombadier beetles don't have 99% peroxide, they have closer to 60/70%. 99% peroxide would ignight almost ay organic material, including living flesh. Exceptions are things like polyaramid plastics, and fluorine based plastics, like teflon.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 24, 2012, 12:41:07 am »

[I mean, I'm not sure if Dragons should be able to spit venom. Most highly flammable compounds I know of are also highly toxic or carcinogenic. Maybe something chemical, maybe augmented by the innate magical properties of dragons. In DF, their fire is significantly hotter than other fire.]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 24, 2012, 01:43:30 am »

[In the Rain Wild Chronicles and similar by Robin Hobb, Dragons spit venom. This has various properties: in low concentrations it causes euphoria, in liquid it is a very potent acid, and it's quite flammable.]

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 24, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »

[I mean, I'm not sure if Dragons should be able to spit venom. Most highly flammable compounds I know of are also highly toxic or carcinogenic. Maybe something chemical, maybe augmented by the innate magical properties of dragons. In DF, their fire is significantly hotter than other fire.]

In the book that I have been using as a reference for my mod, upon which the dragons I refer to are based, it says that the ancestors of dragons (draconodon) injected or sprayed venom into their prey as a primary method of attack.  This venom was highly flammable, and near volcanic vents, caught fire.  Some Draconodons developed a method of igniting the venom, and gained the ability to breathe fire, but others continued to use venom.

In some mythology, dragons had acidic blood, which would cause the outer and inner tissues of the body to become stronger, being able to contain a chemical reaction such as (possibly) the hydrogen-oxygen reaction that modern spaceflight uses.

Do with this post what you wish.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

[Well, New York's been... exciting.  I wasn't more than two or three blocks from the shooting.  I didn't actually know about it until I saw it on the news an hour ago, though.  Anyway.]

[Actually, I don't really have anything to contribute right now.  Everything I could offer about dragon fire has already been said.]
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: August 24, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »

[Speaking of shooting, I was woken up at 3 AM on Wednesday by a join LAPD, PPD, LVPD and FBI raid of a Cartel meth lab on my block. But it's always been such a good neighborhood *sigh*

Anyway, I later found out that what I thought was gunfire was actually a flashbang. Still, scary as hell, and of course I couldn't get back to sleep even after the noise stopped. Apparently, it was part of a sweep of several simultaneous raids across the county that nabbed 17 out of 22 or so of the guys running this meth ring, but the leader is still at large.]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 24, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »

[Of course he is. The ringleader would be retarded to dirty his hands in such activities. He needs to remain as legally untouchable as possible. That means fallmen and patsies in redundency.]

[As for a flashbang scaring you like gunfire... once the "shooting" stops, things are usually either well in control, or the police are dead. In either case, once it stops, you (as a bystander) are pretty much in the clear.  The danger is during and just before the shooting, but unless you are precognisant, there is no way to prepare.  I understand getting shook up, but being terrified is silly. Exercise a little reason and logic, and just go to sleep downstairs, or sleep on the floor.]

[Then again... my dad was a police offcer, and was pretty coarse and graphic in his language, and I grew up in clearly abnorma circumstances, so your mileage may vary. *shrug*]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: August 24, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »

[The adrenaline rush pretty much purged any chance of sleeping. The first thing I did when I heard the bang was jump to the floor. I at first assumed it was a car chase, due to the chopper flying off, and not hearing anymore "shots," but I know better now. Hearing a BANG and low-flying chopper while extremely groggy at 0'dark 30 just isn't the best thing for anyone's nerves. The way I've it, the leader managed to somehow slip away during the raid at La Puente, and is on the run. They found the HQ, I believe. The Cartel guys were smuggling liquid meth in through gas tanks and recrystallizing it in the country. I don't know whether it was mixed with gasoline and separated at the labs, or if it was just gas cans full of meth. Kind of reminds me of that one James Bond film.]

[I'll do a story post tonight.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: August 25, 2012, 07:48:50 pm »

[How's that story post coming, Hugo? :P]

[Reading through some older posts, I noticed someone suggesting the possibility of a romantic relationship between Lana and wierd.  It's an interesting idea, but I have the sneaking suspicion that Lana is asexual.  I haven't solidified anything yet, but if they do start interacting more through this 'sparring' thing, it might crop up.  I'm not sure how wierd would feel about all this.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:38:02 pm by Gizogin »
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 306