No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 263039 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #3975 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »

Level B3, IIRC..... next door to the general workshops.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:37 pm »

[Due to the lull in story, I have started doodling characters. Here's a WiP on Lana.]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[I imagine her as a kind of 'plucky' type character. This shot will eventually have her hanging off the side of Dr. Gizogin, hence the happy pose. The hood and cape she has on are artifacts of what she had on when introduced. I included a dime in the scan for scale on how tiny I draw. For some reason things don't come out right when I draw larger.]

[I hope I got her close to right...]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:37:11 pm by wierd »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »

[That's pretty good, wierd.  I think you captured her personality pretty well.  Now all you need is Gizogin with a disapproving scowl, and it'll be perfect! :P]

[As for the story, I think everyone's starting school again (Labor Day for me).  I'm off to New York tomorrow and Friday, personally.  It's just an unfortunate timing issue.]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:15:31 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »

I need to get some eversharps up here to work.

Wood #2 pencils work... but they lose the point way too quickly. I need some .5mm eversharps, and then things will be rockin'.

Getting gizogin to come out hasn't gone well in my first few attempts. Maybe my mental image of him isn't mature enough yet, but lana was a very strong personality type I immediately clicked for.

Gizo: if you could hunt on google image search for suitably similar looking "russian looking" people and PM them to me, that would help. His appearance isn't firmly congealed.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »

[Wierd, you have been PM'd.]

Gizogin arrived back at the hospital and immediately began clearing a space for Hugo's visit.  Beds were moved aside, tables and traction benches stacked, and supply chests pushed over to the wall.  Gizo X returned before too long, and he too got to work moving this around.  He'd tried to catch Lana after the meeting, but she'd brushed him off and disappeared again.

Gizogin was carrying a stack of bandages when a faint squeaking sound made him pause.  X, with his superior hearing, had also heard it.  They both turned to the workbench at the back of the room.  There, sticking out from under a pile of blueprints, was a small, glass vial.  It was the vial that Gizogin had scraped the fluffball dust into, only now it had something else in it, too.  Floating among the dust was a tiny fluffball.  It was predominantly white, but the ends of its hairs were tinted slightly grey, as though it had been dusted with powdered graphite.  It gave it a curious effect, as though it were perpetually in shadow.

X spoke up first.  "Well," he said, "I didn't see that coming."
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »

[How the hell do those things reproduce? Fluff-sporing?

But they use their fluff to incapacitate prey-Oh god]
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: August 23, 2012, 12:33:15 am »

[If that got out now, that would be it. Abandon fort, and even then probably not survive. Hopefully, nothing subtle happens that makes you trip and break it...]

[Good news, MIGHT have time to finally get a decent length post in tomorrow!]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: August 23, 2012, 02:21:21 am »

[I propose we drop it into the HFS at the earliest opportunity. Adora-deadly creatures with indestructibly cute bodies capable of destroying all sentient life deserve to be with their own kind.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: August 23, 2012, 06:50:39 am »

[Yay, that got a reaction from everybody.  Don't worry, I'm not planning to release fluffy Armageddon on everyone.]
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: August 23, 2012, 07:46:14 am »

[I propose we drop it into the HFS at the earliest opportunity. Adora-deadly creatures with indestructibly cute bodies capable of destroying all sentient life deserve to be with their own kind.]

We already killed all of the demons... Even the Tumbleweed Demons.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: August 23, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »

[no, we just drove them crazy, and drove them away from our neck of the woods. You can only listen to Magical Trevor "so many times" before you go insane, even if you are a demon. The demons exist in "uncountable numbers", so complete eradication is impossible. As such, they are the perfect means of containment for the fluffball menace.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

["Menace"?  All the original fluffballs were crushed in the collapse (I'm going to go ahead and make that official now; I was debating whether or not to bring them back later, but decided to do it this way instead).  There's only one now, and it's currently contained.]

"Where did it come from?" asked Gizogin.

"You should know; you were the one who kept the dust in that vial," X responded.

"I know that.  What I meant is, why did it suddenly change?  It was perfectly happy to stay as a pile of dust until now."

"I have no idea.  The
Gide was irritatingly vague on fluffball reproduction."  The two doctors were standing around the desk, having cleared everything from it except the vial.  The fluffball was now the only thing in it, having absorbed all the remaining powder.  It was also bigger than before; it measured a good two inches across.  "If I had to guess, I'd say that something changed in its environment to trigger its growth.  It's like one of those spores that can stay dormant for years until it finds the right conditions."

"Something changed in the sealed glass vial," Gizogin deadpanned.

"Like I said, it's a guess.  It might have just been a matter of time."  X gingerly picked up the vial, turning it around in the light.  The fluffball inside maintained its orientation, and Gizogin got the peculiar sensation that it was watching him.  "It's not trailing any dust, unlike the others," X noted.

Prompted by his doppelganger, Gizogin snapped into scientist mode.  "It also appears to be a new variety of fluffball, unlike the fire or ice variants described in the
Gide.  The others had coloration based on their attributes; it's likely that this one does as well."

"Grey could mean any number of things, though," X added.  "If they fall into an eastern 'five elements' pattern, then it could be metal.  Alternatively, it could stand for earth or stone.  Then, if we move past traditional element sets, then we have shadow, darkness, order or chaos, light..."

"Unless," Gizogin took over, "it has nothing to do with magic.  Grey could just be natural camouflage, though why it should have different coloration than any of those whose dust it sprang from is a bit strange."

"This is all idle speculation; we need to experiment," X declared.

"Naturally," Gizogin agreed.  "There's no time to lose."
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »

[Ok, a little fun update on Lana and Gizogin's family portrait.]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[Not sure how well that is gonna look. I had to email myself the picture, download it with the phone, and upload it with the phone to photobucket. Somehow the filesize dropped from 250kb to like, 38kb... maybe yahoo mail does recompression. If it looks bad on a PC, let me know. The phone's display doesn't have a dense resolution. If it does look bad, I will try to fix the problem.]

[Gizogin alerted me via PM that the good doctor looks a bit like a young john cleese. He also said disapproving scowl. Well.. he got it.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »

ninja'd
[I think we already established the extinction of Demons. The Eerie glowing pits ate them, being spacetime holes from my ill-advised experiment. The little cataclysm that caused them was fixed, but the scars still remain. Because of this, the detritus of time travel (like random, unguided shifts) would have a tendency to come out of them.]

[I'm going to assume that the meeting dispersed, and that due to oversights on our part for forgetting about Vemini, the newcomers didn't get brought in. Oliolli's migrants are probably waiting for the most prudent time to slip in.]

HugoLuman attempted to clear his throat, a gesture often used to get people's attention, but in this case resulted in a squirt of brown-ish spittle. Surprised, he decided on settling for "Hey, Gizogin? Are you feeling up to some experiments?" and wandering in. Gizogin jumped and X didn't, though he did hastily lower a glass phial.

"Um, funny you should mention experiments."

"Is that a mothball? You don't have some kind of addiction that you'd like to bring up, do you?" The doctors stared at him. "Seriously, though, what is it?"

Gizogin sighed. It was best to be honest. "Well, just before that whole business with you getting seriously injured, these, uh, creatures showed up. Corai was helping contain them in the dining hall. Anyway, I got a sample of dust from one before they all got destroyed in the quake, and now it seems to have merged into an adult. Questions?"

"Is it dangerous? Really, we ought to make a list of all the things that could potentially kill us..."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »

"Is it dangerous? Really, we ought to make a list of all the things that could potentially kill us..."

I am guessing that your character forgets that this is dwarf fortress, where even the fluffy wamblers are out to get you?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 306