No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 262958 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4260 on: December 30, 2012, 08:31:10 pm »

Ah, there's another of our core people! Welcome back Eric! Now we just need Wierd...

I don't think we can rely upon him getting back.  The last time he was on was: November 09, 2012, 11:13:16 am.  In fact, his last post was on the 6th of November in this thread.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:43 pm »

Alright, but I don't want to leave him behind. There are things we can do without him, just there are also important plot bunnies under his control.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:36 pm »

Alright, but I don't want to leave him behind. There are things we can do without him, just there are also important plot bunnies under his control.

That could be a problem, but until he returns, someone could write for him.  Anyway, I need you to post Vemeni's or Ironblood's reaction to what just happened along with their response to Mita's question, since you write for them.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:10 pm »

Alright, after I finish the last of my apps. It's crunch time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

[Weird Joykill, Ghostly necromancer has returned from the grave, and haunts the forums!]

[Actually, I have gotten new job responsibilities.... I am an actual NC programmer now, with all the "for the love of gawd! Get the part programmed NAOW!" That goes along with it. Things should settle down some though. One of the programmers that recently quit has been hired back. That means my workload should theoretically diminish. Over christmas, I went on out of state holiday. I haven't even played DF at all since last Nov actually. :(  being overworked suxxors.]

[Deciding to jump into the 3months later timeline.]

It was yet another titan attack. Monsters had been appearing in the viscinity of the crashed slashdiver's glowing radioactive wreckage. He had tried to suggest building a casson around the damned menace of a thing, and dumping an enormous of borosilicate glass over the top of it to seal out any radiological agents leaking into the environment, but that had been months ago. By now, it was likely the site had a lot in common with a nuclear regulatory comittee "superfund" site. The kind that makes dandilions grow 3 feet tall.

One of the survivors from that accursed wreck had been prowling, and stalking him lately, watching from the shadows, and setting off his now well honed sense of danger; this world did that to you after awhile, make you paranoid, or crazy, or both. Then again, it's only paranoia when things AREN'T out to get you, and frankly, things *HAD* been trying to get him.

Gods, the RATS!

Peepers had steadily grown over the autumnal months, and was now a viciously formidable size, about on par with a heavy St bernard, and had taken to hunting in the darkness of his bedroom and lab spaces, and the hallways between at night. Every morning, the picked over remains of disgusting, misshaped rat things would litter the halls and floors of his preferred haunts... no place seemed safe from the horrid little abominations, as they scratched, clawed, and chewed their way through masonry and under the earth. He could have sworn that they were after him personally. He cursed ever agreeing to help that asshole Askak. Nightmares of being torn apart by millions of angry rodents with hateful little beady red eyes, and mangy patchy fur haunted him almost nightly, and it had seriously impacted his work. Others had noticed the changes such stress can cause in people's behaviors, but most had written him off as inscrutible from the start, and considered his deepening paranoia and self-ostracism as being "normal", or as normal as they were willing to consider it.

He wasn't sure if it was the desperation, or budding insanity, that had started him down the very dangerous road he had reluctantly decided to embark down, given the unholy and dangerous risks involved, but SOMETHING had to be done about those rats! Nobody else seemed to notice or care about them, and somehow, every time he went to go get someone he felt he trusted to show them the mess that Peepers would leave for him every morning, with the scattered, picked over limbs, smashed ugly and misshapen skulls, and disgusting blotches of blood and horrid little rat footprints.. all the evidence would be gone, as if magically whisked away by some terrible force preying on his mind.

But he was almost done...  those horrible little vermin; cleary leftovers from that bith Thari and her perverse "science" experiments gone horribly wrong...  if her perverse research had created the foul creatures, then surely it could UN-make them as well, and that was exactly what he had been secretly working on.  He knew he had agreed to not keep secrets, but he had tried and failed to get attention to this clearly growing threat to the fortress, and now people just thought him more addled than usual. He would have preferred to have had somebody, anybody really, listen to him about this, but frustratingly, every scrap of evidence he had tried to collect always mysteriously vanished into thin air as soon as he would walk away from it. Even remains placed into seemingly impenetrable locked boxes would be taken, the boxes immaculately clean, save for a newfound rathole dug through one side or another.

Even the lab notes he had started keeping on the creatures seemed to disappear, only to turn up stuffed into a corner or up inside a wall as chewed up bits of parchment and paper.... horrid bedding for horrid creatures!

He was very thankful for having peepers to patrol his room at night.. more than once in the past months, he had been awaked in terror to the sound of peepers shrieks, the flapping of wings, tables and chairs being knocked over, and aways that madness inducing scamping of monstrous little feet. The thought of what those....things... would have done to him in his sleep with out peepers around...... but dwelling on such things was where madness lived.

He was finding himself angry, and torn up over having so hastily burned so much of that crazy assed bitch's work, and for the past few months, had practically done everything he could to hermitically seal his bedroom and labspace areas against all forms of intrusions, trying in earnst, and failing in turn, against the pernicious intrusions of his four legged intruders, while pouring over every last scrap of data the crazy vivomancer woman had left behind, searching desperately for anything, anything at all, that would be useful against this malignancy plaguing the fortress, and his mind.

The consistent, and continuous destruction of his lab notes, the depridations on his mind, his lab, and his living quarters had enkindled a kind of manic, paranoid, and fervent resolve. Instead of keeping notes, he had been forced to keep huge sums of information and experimental data inside his head, and the result on his sociability, such as it was, was profound.... he had taken to almost complete isolation, and spending nearly every moment of every day furiously working in his lab space on understanding just what the creatures "were", and more importantly, how to kill them all.

Every last one.

The sounds of the titan outside came rumbling in through the sealed and quintuple locked, adamantine chained, (having resorted to true despiration, and having lifted the prized metal chain from the fortress coffers), and hermitically sealed portal to and from the stone room he had been given to use as labspace so many months ago. 

"Always with the distractions!"

He yelled angrily into the air, at no-one in particular.

Peepers looked up from his roosting box weird had provided him with (he dared not leave his precious bodyguard's watchful eyes) and looked at him inquisitively.

"Not you Peepers... those morons outside! Can't they do anything right!? How am I supposed to deal with this mess, if they keep making a racket loud enough that a dwarf can't even hear himself think!?"

Peepers just tilted his head curiously at him, like he always did. Peepers was fast on the draw, but when it came to brains, was far from the sharpest tool in the shed.  At least one thing had worked out in his favor from this "rat" business... it had kept peepers continually, and very well fed for this entire time.

But right now he needed to concentrate on the petri dish in front of him. Surely, it, and anything it contained would be desecrated the very moment he left the lab, as it contained cultured flesh from the scurrying monsters that had been casting their malignant shadow over him these past few months.  More importantly, it was tissue he had subjected to an engineered plague. Something horrible. Something even thari would have approved of.  Something truly horrible, and or, inspired depending upon whom it was you asked....

But it wasn't ready yet. Still not 100% lethal. Couldn't risk it getting out, and the monsters becoming tolerant from selective pressure. No. It had to be perfect first..... it *had* to be absolutely, 100% fatal. Nothing less would be justifiable. He just needed more time....

More loud noises from above ground rumbled his way through the sealed workspace walls.

"Goddamn it! Give it a rest already!"

So close... so, very.. very close......
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:18:56 pm by wierd »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: January 07, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »

Yay! Our favorite mad scientist is back!

Peepers looked up from his roosting box weird had provided him with (he dared not leave his precious bodyguard's watchful eyes) and looked at him inquisitively.

Did you just misspell your name there?

Quote from: wierd
I before E whan talking about me, E before I when describing the guy.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: January 07, 2013, 04:17:02 pm »

[No. Android smartphone thinks it needs autocorrected while being entered. This has led to confusion on proper spelling in the past.]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:31 pm »

[Clearly the only solution is to reprogram the entire phone!]
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:44 pm »

Ninja'd 2x
[I think it's a case of 'the rogue spellchecker strikes again.']

Loud crashes rang through the clinic. "By Gandhi, not another mutant..." sighed HugoLuman.

X put down the diagnostic log. "We were about done anyway. Let's go have a look."

"Whaddya think this one was, laddie?"

"Hard to say, Ironblood," responded Vemini. "Could have been a pond turtle, judging by the shell. But you really can't tell with these things." At that point, Mita climbed over from the other side of the enormous carcass.

"Permission to see Gizogin about what just happened to me?"

"What in the hells!? Now is the lads mutatin' too?"

After getting over the split second surprise, Vemini lowered his fists. "Yes," he said, not knowing what else to say.

"Tinman, I think I'm going ter take the day off. I need me a drink..."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:40 pm »

There was a final loud crash, followed by happy yells from the hallway. Clearly the had solved the problem. Good.

He returned his attention to the gisgusting pink paste "growing", (rather, dieing) in the petri dish.

If you wanted a good baseline to compare it against.. imagine hanta virus, crossed with hemmoragic ebola, and SARS, only spread initially through the rodent's own dander to ensure widespread, and lasting persistence of the pathogen. A syndrome worthy of being made by the 12th bay: the tissue in the dish was in the process of runaway cellular turgor, cell membranes swelling, stretching at the seams, and rupturing, reducing the tissue culture into horrible infectuous slime.

So far, due to the lack of an intact specimine to experiment on, all tests had been conducted on isolated tissue cultures; liver cells here, skin cells there, a salvaged salivary gland... a foot, part of a tail.... but results had so far been quite encouraging.  Some subjects had demonstrated partial immunities to the infection pathway though, so research continued. The risk of developing "super rats", like what occurs with super germs in hospitals, was a very sobering, and terrifying prospect, as was the potential for mutation of the pathogen itself.

The pestulence was designed to have a protracted "latent" phase, in which to spread by dander particles, into the respiratory systems, and mouths of uninfected subjects. About 1 month, to be precise, but vaugeries of metabolic rates, and natural factors made that somewhat variable... the point, was that it would spread silently, without any symptoms for many weeks, then come down like a hammer dwarf on a vampire's face, suddenly switching gears to full hemmoragic fever.

Balancing the plague, and taking suitable precautions against interspecies infections had been challenging; only receptor sites specific to the target species could be targeted, and not all were conserved between subjects, which is what was making 100% infection rate so difficult... but this last batch was effectively destroying the tissue sample from group IV resistant phenotype with acceptable efficacy... but needed much more testing.

He would leave traps tonight....

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: January 07, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »

[Let's see, fluffball dust, some sealed barrel of Oliolli-berry extract, and now this. That brings us up to 3 potential biological hyper-hazards?]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:27 pm »

[An important thing to note here. I needed a suitable explanation for wierd 's obtuse behavior of late, and needed to add to the "rats in the walls" subplot.  Wierd. Is NOT in his right mind, suffering from compounding stress that unlike the rest of the fortress, has NOT efficiently dissipated since the last catastrophe, coupled with frustratingly unacceptable losses of samples and labnotes, not to mention the naturally deleterious nature of the kind of "research" he is undertaking. While he FEELS he is taking every imaginable precaution, biotech is by its very nature a pandora's box, and unpredictable outside of the petri dish. Also, I was aiming for an "evil rats of NIHM" theme for the rat creatures, which is why no corpses persist (the rats clean up the mess, and "dispose" of their dead.), and why labnotes are destroyed. (Eg, the rats have "sentient" tag, and "can learn" tag. The rats are sepcifically attacking weird, for as yet mysterious reasons., and not anyone else in the fortress. His attempted genocide may or may not be a "good" idea.]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »

[Double the pleasure, double the fun, double the postings with double post gum!]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:41:55 pm by wierd »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

Welcome back Joykill.

[Let's see, fluffball dust, some sealed barrel of Oliolli-berry extract, and now this. That brings us up to 3 potential biological hyper-hazards?]

That we know of.

Mita saluted Vemini and Ironblood and headed in the direction of the fortress hospital.  On his way there, he came across X and Hugo.  He greeted them both, and said to X, "there's something I may need to tell you."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »

[Weird also has a small sample container of stabilized "olliitis" from the previous fortress, that he now keeps under heavy quarantine in his lab. Initally collected to research it for possible treatments, it's destruction of wild type populations has now made the vial too dangerous to uncork, even for research, but still too valuable to destroy. Definitely a diablos ex machina. Just add misfortune.]
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 306