Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crazy's Moddin' Project: Less bloat, more flavor, more Fun!  (Read 3569 times)

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Howdy! One of my favorite things about DF is modding, so I figure I should tell you guys what I've been working on so far. I present to you... Captain Crazy's thingamabob!

What I'm aiming to do is refine what DF already has in store, add a little tiny bit of new stuff, and have a good time doing so!

Implemented Changes

Entity-Wise

• Dwarves: Worldgen dwarves now build Fortifications and Hamlets around the mountains, so you can explore and interact with them. Dwarves have permission to use many more weapons, too.
  • Goblins: It's goblin christmas! Goblins now have to eat and drink, and are able to eat plants now. They too build fortifications and hamlets, and with the removal of the [LOCAL_BANDITRY], they are non-hostile to same-entity gobbos.
  • Trolls: These guys have taken a step up, too. They too build explorable places in Adv., and they are one of the few races to use steel. They are babysnatchers, and playable in Adventure Mode.
  • Skulking: Dark Gnomes, Goblins, Troglodytes, Gremlins and Rodent Men also form little Kobold-like camps, under the same entity entry for space-reasons.
  • Ogres: These hulks build their castles and towns in the shrubby lands. They are buddies with Trolls and Goblins, and they too steal babies.
  • Hobgoblins: These adventurous, fair spirited creatures resemble goblins only in appearance, and are the exact opposite behaviorally. They will do trade with you in the wintertimes. They aren't exactly burly, though, but can be played in adventure mode. Their high creativity averages make those -ogre bone earrings- of yours come out so much prettier!

Item-wise

• New Melee Weapons: The excellent slashing Sabre, the chopping and hacking Falchion, the bashing and ripping Flanged Mace, and the peasant's Machete.
  • New Ranged Weapons: Manuballistae fire arrows at high velocity, but may require an extra hand to grip. Arbalests lob bolts fast, but they too are heavier. Muskets are assembled at a gunsmith's workbench and fire small projectiles at incredible speeds! All three are used only by more technologically advanced entities, and use the Crossbowman skill for their form-factor.
  • New Ammunition: Broadhead Bolts and Arrows, for shredding and maiming foe from afar. They strike rather like small daggers, Raw-wise. Bullets for Muskets, that act as pointed, sharp missiles.

Adventure Mode

• Adventurers can now tan hides from beasts they slay. Beasts yield multiple skins and can have a lot of leather tanned from them, so clothes may require more than 1 to craft.
  • Adventurers can immortalize the kills they get by carving the bones, horns or teeth into trophies. There's a 30 percent chance to either craft a single crown, 5 rings, 5 earrings, or 2 bracelets from each stack of body parts you get.

Fort Mode

• Mythical Metals! Find and exhume small pockets of mythical metals from within the earth, mostly within Igneous Intrusive layers. With a little bit of refining at a forge, you can harness the 3 metals, Brilliantine, Luxium and Phloxium.
  • Brilliantine: Comparable to steel in the edge it holds. Valuable due to its color.
  • Luxium: this metal takes the form of strands. It does not hold a very good edge, but it makes good armor and luxurious clothing, and it can be sold for a jaw-dropping price to traders.
  • Phloxium: this sought-after metal is said to have an inner fire. It is as dense as silver, and it also holds a great edge. It fetches an incredible price, too!

Planned/In Progress Changes
  • Pare down unnecessary creatures, animal-men, etc
  • Give remaining creatures natural skills in what they would be expected to (ostrich=kicking, gator=biting, eagle=biting, striking, etc)
  • Give each giant creature remaining a better flavor text, rather than "A giant monster the form of an x", for example (giant magpie) "A huge bird monster resembling a magpie. Its stealing tendencies are made more dangerous by its large size."
  • Give most creatures sounds, like the disturbing bassy call of a Cassowary.
  • More characteristics for creatures. Swans are now prone to rage, for example, and the giant ones moreso. Creatures that are expected to be predatory will become so, like giant Jumping Spiders, giant Kestrels, g. ticks, g. falcons, eg.
  • Creatures that are missing attacks due to oversights (giant ticks, anyone?) will have them added to them.

I'll put a DL link for what I actually have so far up tomorrow. For now, I rest, but feedback on the ideas would be lovely.[/list]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:30:55 pm by Captain Crazy »
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy's Moddin' Project: Less bloat, more flavor, more Fun!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »

looks like a good mod
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:00 pm »

I like seeing the ogres and trolls as entities, and really like the idea of the arbalest, your quick-fire crossbow. You also seem to have a lot of adv. mode modding experience, or am I wrong ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »

I like seeing the ogres and trolls as entities, and really like the idea of the arbalest, your quick-fire crossbow. You also seem to have a lot of adv. mode modding experience, or am I wrong ?
Well, I know a thing or two enough to make things interesting, but not an encyclopedic knowledge.

Seeing if I can make a reaction to extract venom from a thing, and adding poison glands to GDS, GCS, and other poison-bearing creatures and vermon. You could presumably throw them at things or sell the extracts or something. Gonna see if I can work on some more creature descs. and maybe get a release out tomorrow.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »

Working on giving a great amount of creatures' natural skills. Hoofed animals are proficient in kicking. Hunting animals are usually good at biting, fighting, and ambushing. Creatures that allude to ambushing in their descriptions now have the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] tag, and many creatures are now far more likely to be thrown into a rage, such as wild boars and most domestic bull-creatures, like cow bulls and reindeer. Creatures that deservedly need to be more dangerous have become so, like Moose and their giant forms, and have had their descriptions updated to match their new nasty status.

Mostly, I think you'll notice that dogs are a bit better at, well, bitin' shit up, and hopefully your cows might get a bit better at kicking in goblin ribs. With all those Ogres and Trolls stalking around the overworld, might as well buff your animals!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:02 pm »

So you intend to kill all dwarven hunters ? ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:27:57 pm »

So you intend to kill all dwarven hunters ? ;)

you forget about the manuballistae, my friend! broadhead arrows have a tendency to filet things before the butcher does ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:39:39 pm »

I do have a javelin thrower, mechanized crossbows and broadhead/piercing/hammerhead ammo, bayonet upgrades, guns and handcannons, great bows and moon/singing arrows in my mod. And hunters still suck. Hard. ;)

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »

I do have a javelin thrower, mechanized crossbows and broadhead/piercing/hammerhead ammo, bayonet upgrades, guns and handcannons, great bows and moon/singing arrows in my mod. And hunters still suck. Hard. ;)
Well, ya gotta beat the hunters some more. get'm over the head with a glumprong log

or hunting GDSs and Magma Crabs

edit: or just toss some anvils at those pesky panthers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:49:34 pm by Captain Crazy »

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:08:00 am »

My custom entities now have languages. Troll's language is based off of the bizarre Basque language, the Ogres speak a remixed Georgian and the Hobgoblin's tongue speaks a frankenstein of Dutch and Japanese. Uses language unlocked for more words to butcher.

Sirmaril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm from Poland, so sorry for my bad english.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:25:22 am »

Can you upload only the thing that makes dwarves, goblins and others make explorable forts and hamlets? As I would like to use it ingame to make adventurer a bit more interesting.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:23:51 am »

Can you upload only the thing that makes dwarves, goblins and others make explorable forts and hamlets? As I would like to use it ingame to make adventurer a bit more interesting.

I'll release the full thing tomorrow, had an exhausting cookout and my hobgoblin died of an acute case of battle-axe to the head-face area.

My hobgoblin guy got the name 'Angel'. Guess he really is an angel now...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:49:33 am »

I think narhiril has a javelin thrower in her mod you might want to try to add. I'm sure narhiril won't mind if you go and take a look at her many other weapons either.

I do have a javelin thrower, mechanized crossbows and broadhead/piercing/hammerhead ammo, bayonet upgrades

EDIT: Didn't notice a second ago. Meph gives a better description.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:03:27 am »

I think narhiril has a javelin thrower in her mod you might want to try to add. I'm sure narhiril won't mind if you go and take a look at her many other weapons either.

I do have a javelin thrower, mechanized crossbows and broadhead/piercing/hammerhead ammo, bayonet upgrades

EDIT: Didn't notice a second ago. Meph gives a better description.

Javelin throwers sound cool, but I'll probably go for those simple 'cup' ones that ancient people used to lob javelins. I'll see about adding the DF Chocolate slings too, because that would be a good weapon for kobolds, and I'll try to make some (basic) mechanized weaponry for the Hobgoblins or something, like muskets.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

I liiiike the sound of this mod, Masterwork and the others just add a bit too much. Not sure how to explain it but im just wary of them....

EDIT: Basically I suck at the game too much to play them...

You should make all races playable in Adv mode!!! Especially the skulking races, Gnomes are just too awesome. (Could make Gnomes a full blown civ... With some sort of advantage to help them with their small size...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:57:23 pm by Mudcrab »
Pages: [1] 2