Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crazy's Moddin' Project: Less bloat, more flavor, more Fun!  (Read 3562 times)

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy's Moddin' Project: Less bloat, more flavor, more Fun!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:22:47 pm »

I liiiike the sound of this mod, Masterwork and the others just add a bit too much. Not sure how to explain it but im just wary of them....

EDIT: Basically I suck at the game too much to play them...

You should make all races playable in Adv mode!!! Especially the skulking races, Gnomes are just too awesome. (Could make Gnomes a full blown civ... With some sort of advantage to help them with their small size...)

Planning on giving Gnomes more powerful weapons, like hand-drills, black-powder firearms and other (believable) technology. Seeing as gnomes are pretty much compressed little dwarves, giving them ridiculous physical avgs. might be good too. Once all of gnomekind has terrifying, rippling muscles and firearms, they will be fit to play.

A neat side-effect of hobgoblin's adventurous spirit is that they will pretty much always join you on your quests, except if they're noblemen. Goofy little guys they are!

What do you guys suggest I base the gnome language off of?
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14:29 am »

Esperanto.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 02:23:57 am »

What I'm aiming to do is refine what DF already has in store, add a little tiny bit of new stuff, and have a good time doing so!

Yeah yeah, a tiny bit... And now we have gnomes with muskets speaking Esperanto :D.

You won't notice how quickly you will get the "bloat". But the most important part is to "have a good time doing so". Good luck! :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

What I'm aiming to do is refine what DF already has in store, add a little tiny bit of new stuff, and have a good time doing so!

Yeah yeah, a tiny bit... And now we have gnomes with muskets speaking Esperanto :D.

You won't notice how quickly you will get the "bloat". But the most important part is to "have a good time doing so". Good luck! :)

Say that to the gnome's face. Break his little, incredibly musclebound heart. Make him grieve in Esperanto, make him drop his little tiny hand-drill in shame.

Working on some new plants, mostly to add some needed diversity in the caves and on the surface. There's rarer plants, like truffles, or more practical stuff, like the bouldernut and the desert braid (cheap, fast-growing but almost worthless cloth). Made evil places have cool stuff, too ("Urist likes Veiny Trees for their gentle pulsing" or "Catten likes Skullfruits for their harrowing gaze"). All have prefstrings that allude to their appearance, so no mystery what-the-heck plants.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:40 am »

If only there were tags other than EXOTIC for mounts, then we could have gnomes riding on... cool shit... firing muskets, speaking Esperanto!

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »

If only there were tags other than EXOTIC for mounts, then we could have gnomes riding on... cool shit... firing muskets, speaking Esperanto!

I'd love this! If only I could use Creature/Plant/Inorganic Classes to determine entity's used stuff... Goblins would have access to beak dogs, ogres would have Giant Swamp Hogs, gnomes would have Colossal Doodlebugs, etc...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:54 am »

I'd love this! If only I could use Creature/Plant/Inorganic Classes to determine entity's used stuff... Goblins would have access to beak dogs, ogres would have Giant Swamp Hogs, gnomes would have Colossal Doodlebugs, etc...

I haven't tested exactly how this works, but I think that if you have civs living only in a small number of biomes (using [BIOME_SUPPORT] tags), and make the animals you want them to have native to those biomes exclusively, you can limit certain creatures to certain civs.  Giving them the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] tag will ensure that they use whatever they have available in their biome.  Just be careful when you give civs biome tags, some biomes don't seem to function as 'start biomes', and if you limit their available settling places too much their civ will die out easily in worldgen.

Hint: Try splitting your races into temperate and tropical region dwellers.  This will also affect who tends to start wars with who in worldgen.

You can also use good, evil, and subterranean tags to limit specific creatures to specific civs, but the flexibility of this is obviously more limited.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

Didn't toady add in some sort of "civ animal training exp" thing? or is that only during worldgen and your own personal training
Pages: 1 [2]