Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- 4 (20%)
Cowboy Bebop
- 10 (50%)
Inuyasha
- 2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Toonami Thread Rises From The Deep  (Read 15092 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Toonami Is Coming Back!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »

If [as] has any business sense whatsoever, they'll make it a combination of old Toonami shows and newer works that exist in the same thematic line. In fact, that's exactly what I told them in the feedback I sent them about a week after the April Fools Toonami, arguing that a revived Toonami would be quite profitable for them.

Clearly they were listening specifically to you.

But yeah, that is fairly likely.  It'll probably have at least some amount of anime that hit big in America back in the late 90s, but of a slightly grittier bent judging by it being A) on late night, and B) Tom swears.

That "bitches be crazy" commercial on April 1st was hilarious.  Anyway, here's hoping that it partially fulfills "Adult Swim with a new look" and has some thematically-appropriate Western stuff too.  If Cartoon Network was looking for a good timeslot to re-air ten year old episodes of Samurai Jack and Megas XLR, I know just the place.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »

Yeah... kinda looking forward to seeing what's added. This would probably be fairly hilarious, but it's not like they're looking at small supply of good-stuff-they-haven't-shown. Though I don't quite remember what Toonami's thematic line was, exactly. Other than shonen, anyway. And maybe giant robots, at least to some degree. Not like you can have enough giant robots, though, so that's all good.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:22 pm »

If [as] has any business sense whatsoever, they'll make it a combination of old Toonami shows and newer works that exist in the same thematic line. In fact, that's exactly what I told them in the feedback I sent them about a week after the April Fools Toonami, arguing that a revived Toonami would be quite profitable for them.

Clearly they were listening specifically to you.
Not what I meant in the slightest. I just mean to say that it makes sense (financially) and I told them I felt as such.

The way I see it, there's a massive demographic advantage. The original Toonami watchers are getting old enough that the now somewhat more teenager-oriented Adult Swim isn't holding them anymore. By bringing back Toonami, they can hold onto those viewers for a little longer. Nostalgia is powerful but doesn't last long, and so new shows are necessary, but running new shows that aren't in the spirit of Toonami will just lose people faster.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:09:10 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure that is not related to Toonami's theme, Frumple.

Things I remember seeing on there at one point or another:
Megas XLR!
Samurai Jack
One Piece
Naruto
IGPX
Bobobobobobobobobo (however you're supposed to organize that)
Zatch Bell
Spirited Away (might've been somewhere else, but probably toonami)
Prince of Tennis (Toonami Jetstream, don't remember seeing it on tv)
Star Wars Clone Wars (original miniseries, not the current differently animated one nor the movie)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

Megas XLR!
Samurai Jack
One Piece
These definitely should be re-run. Almost everyone loves the first two, and the largest problem with the third one was bad regionalization and censorship that can now be safely ignored in late-night blocks.
Naruto
I don't think they should re-run Naruto, though. It carries a stigma now, and I don't remember it being that great either.
Bobobobobobobobobo (however you're supposed to organize that)
Given the nature of the show, I doubt that any organization matters.
Zatch Bell
Speaking of the nature of shows, does anyone else just now realize how fucking weird Zatch Bell was? It made just enough coherent sense to make the weirdness even worse than Bobobobobobobobo.
Spirited Away (might've been somewhere else, but probably toonami)
I remember it being on CN, but I'm not sure if it was Toonami. Doesn't matter, running Miyazaki films is the kind of thing that just doesn't fail. Probably because Miyazaki is awesome in all ways that one can be awesome.
Prince of Tennis (Toonami Jetstream, don't remember seeing it on tv)
Despite everything else, I think this one might win the title of Weirdest Show of All Time. I'd like to see film of this getting pitched to a group of executives, because it must have been one hell of an argument to get an anime about tennis approved.
Star Wars Clone Wars (original miniseries, not the current differently animated one nor the movie)
Is that good at all? I never watched it, and I treat everything related to Star Wars with caution these days.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »

Well i remember Anakin being psycho serious in one minisode (i remember them being only 2-3 minutes long)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:49 pm »

Is that good at all? I never watched it, and I treat everything related to Star Wars with caution these days.

It was Tartakovsky doing Star Wars at the top of his game.  It wasn't the Best Thing Ever, but there's a reason LucasArts decided to milk it for all it was worth.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:36 pm »

Its good if you want silly, star Wars-themed action, with a complete lack of overall plot when compared to the current Star Wars: Clone Wars (which isn't a bad thing, mind you). The clones are dramatic (especially the ARC Troopers), the battle droids are rather dumb, the Jedi are no one you haven't heard of before if you paid enough attention to star wars in the past, with a couple exceptions. Anakin has no padawan.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »

Also, hoverbike jousting. Complete with super-high-tech lances which were somehow able to blow up tanks.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 09:34:27 pm »

Also, hoverbike jousting.
How did I forget the hoverbike jousting?
Anyway, this seems to be the only bit of it that made it to YOutube intact as far as I can find from jsut searching. Its the part with the huge earthquake generator thing and mace windu.

Edit: Found more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9eeZPIO5ss
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:43:28 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 09:45:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure that is not related to Toonami's theme, Frumple.
Toonami ran both sailor moon and Eva, heh. Madoka's supposedly a sort of thematic mixer between the two. Grimdark magical girls... sorta. I've never seen any of it, but it's supposed to get rather brutal after a few episodes.

Anyway, yeah, checked the wikipedia page. They ran quite a bit, though a fair amount of it censored to various degrees. Which wasn't exactly a surprise in several cases, huhu. E: How in hell did I miss '03? Some interesting stuff showed then.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:48:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »

Grimdark and magical girls.
That sounds like an awkward combination.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »

I missed the Toonami showing of Evangelion, but that must have been some really creative censorship if it was still watchable after being rendered fit for children's daytime television.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »

Toonami was evening, not daytime. Somewhere between 8 or 9PM and midnight.

Miguzi was daytime things, the only one I could point out that was interesting being Code Lyoko.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »

Grimdark and magical girls.
That sounds like an awkward combination.
It's supposedly one of the better recent-ish series.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for '03, I found out what happened with a bit more reading. Turns out I was forgetting giant robot week, which explains things. And Eva wouldn't need too much censoring. Remember violence is effectively a non-issue to American TV.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10