Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traction Bench Query[solved]  (Read 5678 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Traction Bench Query[solved]
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

I have successfully made traction benches in all previous versions I've played, but it the latest 34.08 it complains that I have no tables, when in fact I have several available. I even made one of each type, wood,rock,metal. Yet it still complains that there is no table available.

I also have ropes & chains and they are all in stockpiles that are path-able.

I don't get it am I being really dumb somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:11:32 pm by lemmily »
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Bench Query
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

It works fine. No problem with it.
Make sure you have ropes & chains at your stockpiles.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:09 am »

Are the tables forbidden or queued for construction?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:38 am »

this is the bizarre thing, they're all in the stockpiles, not forbidden, not in use, not queued. I'm gonna try and cancel all of the jobs restart DF and see if any of that helps

glad to know it's not actually broken!

EDIT:

Well it didn't change anything... still says " ** cancels Construct Traction Bench: needs Table."

there is about 16 tables none are waiting to be constructed.

EDIT EDIT:
Fixed it!

Because I made my rock stockpile "give" to the mechanic W/S means it will ONLY look in that stockpile for tables too. So I'd also have to link the furniture stockpile to "give" to my mechanic W/S.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:11:19 pm by lemmily »
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

this is the bizarre thing, they're all in the stockpiles, not forbidden, not in use, not queued. I'm gonna try and cancel all of the jobs restart DF and see if any of that helps

glad to know it's not actually broken!

EDIT:

Well it didn't change anything... still says " ** cancels Construct Traction Bench: needs Table."

there is about 16 tables none are waiting to be constructed.

EDIT EDIT:
Fixed it!

Because I made my rock stockpile "give" to the mechanic W/S means it will ONLY look in that stockpile for tables too. So I'd also have to link the furniture stockpile to "give" to my mechanic W/S.
This should probably be somewhere more visible, I imagine it's going to come up alot.

der_elvenfrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »

This should probably be somewhere more visible, I imagine it's going to come up alot.

Bump to agree. I was having the exact same issue and googled my way here. Not sure if this should be filed as a bug or not, since it is kind of predictable (if new) behavior... I added a brief line to the wiki section on traction benches in lieu of any better ideas.

Are there any other common workshop items drawing from unusual stockpiles which might be affected by this behavior? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some more surprises waiting somewhere re: stockpile links.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:44 pm »

Are there any other common workshop items drawing from unusual stockpiles which might be affected by this behavior? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some more surprises waiting somewhere re: stockpile links.
Anything that needs stuff that comes from different stockpiles, basically. Farmers workshops might be affected (need to test this), as processing stuff requires some storage item as well as the plants for processing.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:11:37 am »

Anything that needs stuff that comes from different stockpiles, basically. Farmers workshops might be affected (need to test this), as processing stuff requires some storage item as well as the plants for processing.
I've personally solved this by making dedicated routes and workshops for actions I repeat a lot - dedicated barrel/pot stockpile with dedicated plant stockpile feeds a still, which loads the barrels onto a minecart into my main booze stockpile.  A farmer's workshop dedicated to ONLY processing cloth gets its resources from a stockpile with only pig tails, which then sends the thread to a loom, which then sends the cloth to a clothier.  This is repeated for nearly every major industry I have now.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.