Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do tracks melt?  (Read 1544 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do tracks melt?
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:02:14 am »

How do tracks play with magma?  Are constructed tracks as invincible as every other piece of dwarven engineering?  What about carved tracks?

I've drilled down to the magma sea, and I'm getting ready to attempt to bring some of it up in a minecart.  I suppose my question doesn't matter much, since I have enough iron to make tracks for the part that will actually be submerged.  But still, I'm curious how tracks would hold up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Do tracks melt?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:51 am »

Constructed tracks are floors.  In fact, you can't build a track onto a constructed floor, you can only construct them onto terrain or open space.

Treat them like floors.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

So you intend on dunking the minecart in magma, and then make it come out of it?  Sure the magma's low fluidity won't interfere ?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

So you intend on dunking the minecart in magma, and then make it come out of it?  Sure the magma's low fluidity won't interfere ?

I admit, I haven't fiddled with the new release yet (waiting for the bugfixes first), but wouldn't setting rollers under the partly-submerged track ensure the cart moves through the magma?

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »

That's plan B.  Plan A is to just get it up to ludicrous speed with a roller accelerator leading into the magma channel.

That is plan A because I did not think of plan B until I had already flooded the track section and started building the ramp back up to the fort's main floors.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

From what I read in the other thread trying to do this with water, the cart has trouble going up the hill after getting the water/magma no matter what.  A magmafall + grates option should be explored.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:06 pm »

Ludircous Speed Go!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »

Does anyone know if you can build rollers atop ramps?