Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earliest Siege, Ever (for me)  (Read 2023 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Earliest Siege, Ever (for me)
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »

I just got sieged by a ferric elf corpse. Evidently, there's something more, as a few skeletons reanimated, too (I reclaimed this fortress). It was towards the tail end of summer.

So, yeah. I hadn't even pierced the aquifer, although not for trying. I usually don't start a real military until I get some weapons from the dwarven caravan; I've got two skilled dwarves, both historical migrants, but no weapons at all and no access to wood thanks to the siege. Also no metals.

I had to seal the fort (not too hard, I was a few channels from doing so already), but several dwarves were lost due to being stuck outside, including a miner who finished the sealing (thankfully, this was my first fortress with multiple miners). Among the dead (actually, all of them) were: my carpenter/miner and planter/herbalist from the Starting Seven, their corresponding numbers from my first attempt at settling (six of the first Starting Seven were among the nine migrants to come in spring), and the first time's mason/miner. That last one took down a cat skeleton, so that leaves the ferric elf, a mule, and a turkey gobbler.

So...What do I do? I'd kinda like more migrants and the dwarven caravan. Nothing more has reanimated for a while, so the necromancer probably left, but I don't think the mule will go down easy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earliest Siege, Ever (for me)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »

Oh, crap, I think I just opened a path to the outside.

EDIT: Nevermind, closed it in time, but the turkey skeleton is camping out within scaring distance of the courtyard that forms, like, half of the fort's open area. Thankfully, it's not a very utilized half.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:05:33 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:07:28 pm »

Undead sieges can come anytime, even the first month.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:29 pm »

Oh, you d#*@ kobolds, you stole an iron pick!
EDIT: And a coat!
And my farmer (also known as "only food source") got outside somehow. Amazingly, he's stayed alive long enough to give me job cancellations.
EDIT2: Erm, nevermind. The zeds got to him.
EDIT3: Why do these people keep STEALING MY STUFF?!?!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:15:30 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:56 pm »

Hahhahahaha!

MWAHAHAHAH!

....Thanks for the coat Freeble, what kind is it?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13:45 am »

My earliest siege was about a year and half and i have played about 60 dwarf years making the total of all the fortresses ive made and not a single kobold has stolen anything and 40% of them got brutally murdered.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:23 am »

FYI, the original intent of this thread was to ask for advice, not to help others laugh at my pain.
Sig

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 07:14:34 am »

So...What do I do? I'd kinda like more migrants and the dwarven caravan. Nothing more has reanimated for a while, so the necromancer probably left, but I don't think the mule will go down easy.

Build a cage trap hallway. When it's finished, breach to the outside. You should be able to clear this up easily since there are only three of them. The biggest, fiercest zombie is helpless against an -acacia cage-.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:35:54 am »

If you embark near a tower then you must bring weapons and maybe skilled soldiers as undead invasions can happen at any time.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:04 pm »

Build a cage trap hallway. When it's finished, breach to the outside. You should be able to clear this up easily since there are only three of them. The biggest, fiercest zombie is helpless against an -acacia cage-.
No stone, and maybe half a dozen logs to make cages out of. Unless I risk the rest of my dwarves in a mad dash for more wood?...
Any advice on how to pierce my aquifer? It's shallow, and with the undead a cave-in plug won't be terribly probable. It's not cold enough to do my favorite method of aquifer-piercing, the freeze-the-aquifer-trick. I could probably use pumps, though--I started preparing for such a method before the undead came and have enough materials for at leas a few pumps. Oh, and it's an uneven-topped, multilevel aquifer.

If you embark near a tower then you must bring weapons and maybe skilled soldiers as undead invasions can happen at any time.
Heh. Next time, I'll remember to check.
Sig