Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [solved] Help! Sand drowing!  (Read 8491 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
[solved] Help! Sand drowing!
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:48 am »

I have a dwarf. He has a little sand on his foot, and on his cloak. When he goes to sleep (on a bed which is on a tile with a pile of sand), he wakes up unable to breathe, winded, and dies within 20 paces.

What happened? Can I save him? (it was the 1st of autum shortly before he has this fateful nap)

Notes:
It wasn't the bed. I locked the room and he died elsewhere.
He shows no wounds or need of diagnostics in the health screen prior to fatality.
There is a lot of sand around (my sand collection area is in a main walking area), so the sand isn't unusual.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:04:16 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Help! Sand drowing!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

It's highly unlikely to be the fault of the sand, unless something really strange happened in 34.08.  This sounds like he was exposed to a syndrome-causing substance.  Did you fight any forgotten beasts or titans recently?  Also, what mods do you have installed?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:28:37 am »

I, for one, find it highly probable Toady turned sand into a highly bloodthirsty sentient substance, which will murder you when you sleep.

Throw more dwarves into sand and see if you can reproduce this result. Cave-ins should do.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:30:58 am by LordSlowpoke »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:07 am »

I've not been to the caverns (they're walled off, but yes, there are beasties down there), so I think its unlikely. He also doesn't seem to have any other dustings, spatters, or anything else. Can syndromes have no coating? Whats the best way to check?

There isn't enough time between save and death to create any sort of wash station.

Looking around, there are others with sand (including some VERY dirty roosters), they seem alright.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

Let him die, engrave a memorial slab for him, read the slab.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

Well, lookie at that.

"In memory of Tirist Niraludil / born 427 / Suffocated in the year 566 / Militia Commander of the flag of cloaks, 565 to 566/ Slayer of the forgotten   Beast / Loving mother and wife"

I guess someone went on a secret trip.

Loading an earlier save reveals Naquuv, a towering humanoid composed of sandy clay...beware its poisonous vapours!

I can accept this death as Most Suitable.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:46:15 am by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:46:32 am »

Cool.  Now look in the r)eports and see if you can find the fight.  It should be epic if he fought it by himself.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »

.. The beast encountered a dog, which it killed. Tirist then shot the beast's head off with one, and only one shot.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: [solved] Help! Sand drowing!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:18:45 pm »

You'd think with a shooter he'd manage to stay far enough away not to get infected.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

You'd think with a shooter he'd manage to stay far enough away not to get infected.
Yeah, that would be the intelligent thing to do, wouldn't it.

But, you know, Dwarf.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »

Well, I got lazy unforbidding death things, since I had strong control over the dwarves. Might have contributed.
Also, it was a stairway fight, and the cloud of deadly vapour probably moved about a bit.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:08 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »

But, you know, Dwarf.
In his defense, sand usually doesn't try to kill you.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »

But, you know, Dwarf.
... usually.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »

But, you know, Dwarf.
... usually.
Shit happens.
Pages: [1] 2