Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for Modding  (Read 2335 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Ideas for Modding
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »

After fiddling with the raws for my own benifet, I decided to work on a big mod again. All I need is an idea. Who has one?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Ideas for Modding
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »

Make different embark races, specific buildings and playtypes for elves, humans and/or goblins/kobolds. Of course this idea has nothing to do with the fact that I could absolutely need such a setup ;)

But seriously, big mods are either total conversion, and you just need a topic, or an increase in DF, in which case you have to contest with 5-6 big mods out there already.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:59 pm »

More's always good.

Hehehe.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »

Please excuse the offtopic here, but putman, what is up with your avatar ? I could swear that it switches from a teamfortress heavy to some duchebag x-men now and then...

To add something construtive: Alien versus Predator versus Marines ? 3 races, sci-fi setting, playing on a  desolate planet... I think that would be new, if you dont count the Necromunda/Warhammer 40k mod out there.

Or Dragon Age TC. Or way better: Planescape Tormet TC.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

Way back in 40d, there was a mod called CatSplosion, which made a playable race of sapient, nonanthropomorphic feral housecats. Remake it for the new era.

I've been considering, off and on, doing so myself, but I kind of got into a rut with DF and got bored with it, so for the past month or so I've not been playing it, and not been interested in making mods for it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:04 pm »

avatar your the humans and the Navi are the elves rival companys or some sought of colonists could be humans
adamantine=unobtanium

something steampunky

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »

Hm, Meph's AvPvM and sackhead's Avatar ideas sound neat. Maybe I could do a big sci-fi crossover thing?

Races I can think of that I could add:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd appreciate more ideas.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »

Lord of the RINGS! LORD OF THE RINGS!!! man we can so do a "You shall not PASS!" moments, but allow playablity of all good races (humans, hobbits, dwarves, humans. are there any others? not sure)

But if your doing something big like LOTR you are welcome to nab stuff from REGENERATION, I got some complex reactions and workshops that might speed the process of getting started easier.

EDIT:
I bet we'd all play as the dwarves :P I'd sure try the humans just as long as they had different playstyles. Dwarves would have throwing axes, and I don't remember were there crossbows in LOTR? I only remember humans and elves using bows, and goblins.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:50:34 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »

Please excuse the offtopic here, but putman, what is up with your avatar ? I could swear that it switches from a teamfortress heavy to some duchebag x-men now and then...
At least he only has two. Loud Whispers has like 8 different ones he switches between at the drop of a hat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:15:38 pm »

What about "Automatons" or something like that. some people have tried to do additions but no one seems to get it just right yah know?

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:30 am »

Mod around Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura game. Steampank dwarfs versus magic user elves with humans and orcs in the middle. It is more 19th century though. But can be really cool - and they had automatons too:)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 03:15:12 am »

Why not an entirely original mod?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:24 am »

Why not an entirely original mod?
Define "entirely original."
Sig

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:35:21 am »

As in a mod not deriving from another IP, even if said IP is free to use.

Like a creature you come up with on your own. Ideas you have.

I dunno... really. It's your choice.

psychomantits

• Bay Watcher
  • a menacing lawn gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:39 am »

Islands with playable pirates, corsairs and crazy amount of natives.
Pages: [1] 2