Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moody dwarf needs wood, has only axe.  (Read 4633 times)

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moody dwarf needs wood, has only axe.
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:07:56 pm »

Got a moody dwarf drawing pictures of wood and bones. He grabbed some wood, and I thought he was done with that. I killed a horse, butchered it, and left the bones near him. I didn't SEE him grab any, but he might have, so for a while I thought he just wasn't grabbing bones, and that was why he wasn't starting his production. Then I realized... My wood stockpile was empty, and the trees I was designating to cut down were still standing. I looked and sure enough, my moody dwarf has the only axe in my fort. I don't know if I can get my industry to make another one going fast enough. Is there any way to make a moody dwarf give up his axe, so that A. He doesn't murder people with it, B. I can get beds for these immigrants going, and C. I can get an awesome artifact?
Edit: Also, I just realized that in order to make another axe, I need wood to get charcoal to smelt the ore... Catch-22 here. Unless a caravan with a convenient axe comes along, I really need that axe he's holding.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:11:36 pm by SnakeByte117 »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moody dwarf needs wood, has only axe.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

You have about six months until insanity, you may get a axe if you rush it. Forbid/reclaim the axe may work too.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:14:14 pm »

The "five finger discount" approach might work.

Basically, you set the axe for dumping, and a dwarf should take it from him and dump it in the garbage dump.

Then reclaim the axe, and cut.

This is the 5 finger discount metthod, because you can rob a caravan blind this way, including the merchant's clothes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

You got logs right? Some wooden building? You only need one to make a training axe.

Also, you need more axes.

TAKE MY AXE

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

I'd suggest looking for a wooden wall/building, and deconstructing it. Otherwise, wall that wanker in. He gonna go mad.

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:25:36 pm »

I made all my workshops out of stone, so that won't work.
Dumping it worked, once I figured out that "garbage dump" and "refuse stockpile" are not the same thing. I reclaimed it, and it's now sitting in the weapons stockpile, and though I've enabled woodcutting on every single dwarf, no one is grabbing it. Is it still designated as belonging to my moody dwarf or something...
Too late. He went stark raving mad. I wasted too much time fussing with bones before I figured out the real problem.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:26:22 pm »

Leave him outside, my kobolds need new blankets after he dies.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »

Do you still have your wagon? Deconstruct if for 3 logs of wood if you do. Carpentry must be enabled for that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:32 pm »

I made all my workshops out of stone, so that won't work.
Dumping it worked, once I figured out that "garbage dump" and "refuse stockpile" are not the same thing. I reclaimed it, and it's now sitting in the weapons stockpile, and though I've enabled woodcutting on every single dwarf, no one is grabbing it. Is it still designated as belonging to my moody dwarf or something...
Too late. He went stark raving mad. I wasted too much time fussing with bones before I figured out the real problem.
You needed to disable woodcutting on the moody dwarf before the axe was no longer assigned to him, probably.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »

No one's picking up the axe. I still need beds, is this a glitch or something? I have someone with woodcutting labor enabled, disabled the insane dwarf's labor, trees designated, clear path to the trees, and my other woodcutters stills have "No job." Are they just lazy or something?

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 02:45:22 pm »

A migrant just came with a new axe. Too late... but I have wood for beds now. No one's picking up the old axe, though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 02:45:34 pm »

Do you have anyone in the military set to either "individual melee weapon" or axe? (Regardless of whether they are active or not?) They could potentially be claiming the axe and preventing others from using it.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »

A migrant just came with a new axe. Too late... but I have wood for beds now. No one's picking up the old axe, though.
They probably believe it's cursed.  :P

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 03:14:02 pm »

Am I the only one in absolute shock at the idea of only having one axe?
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 03:36:42 pm »

Am I the only one in absolute shock at the idea of only having one axe?
If it's an early fortress then I tend to only have 1 axe. Those extra embark points can go a long ways towards more food, especially since my game is modded to make farming take much longer before it yields anything. Of course I usually trade with the first caravan for a second one, as a safety, but in the first year I only have 1 axe.
Pages: [1] 2