Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Donations Other Than Cash  (Read 6376 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Donations Other Than Cash
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »

So... I have some long-standing issues with Paypal after they just up and lost a thousand US dollars of my money, but cashing a cheque internationally is an insanely expensive process and Customs officials tend to take exception to envelopes full of cash arriving from overseas. So what should I send instead? Food? Extra RAM? Booze?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Donations Other Than Cash
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

I'd be willing to act as an intermediary (also British), but that would probably require a massive amount of trust.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »

I sent a Saguaro wood figurine of a Saguaro rib... but that might not work for everyone.

Perhaps Toady would know if you contacted him directly?  I wonder if he has a wishlist of some kind somewhere?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »

I'd be willing to act as an intermediary (also British), but that would probably require a massive amount of trust.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't actually have that much cash at the minute anyway. In the increasing unlikely event of this situation improving I'll give it due consideration.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »

I don't know if Toady drinks. But he certainly deserves the best alcohol Europe has to offer after all he's done.

baslisks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:38 am »

he needs to accept bitcoins.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:57:50 am »

We don't want to bankrupt him.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:59 am »

Ill sacrifice my cat if that will help. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

baslisks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:42 am »

We don't want to bankrupt him.

only if he invests them into a pyramid scheme or scam. Run it on glbse and you can make a decent profit, or just change them for cash.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »

Nearly any sufficiently dense commodity you would want to send is either too heavy (gold, silver) and/or conversion back to cash would include a sucker's tax.  You might be able to get bearer bonds, but they can be stolen.  So I'd advise sticking to tried and true financial instruments like wire transfers.

My bank will print and mail a paper check (cheque) each month, which is my preferred method.  You may be able to open an account with an online bank in the USA and set up a donation as though it were online bill paying.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.