Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobold steriotype  (Read 6808 times)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Kobold steriotype
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »

I love kobolds.
Short fact of my life SMALL, DOG LIKE and have legs a bit like a rabbit/hare
http://img.playragnarok.com/features/Kobold_Card.jpg
A bit like that but with more variety (no I dont play ragnerok online I just know because my frends play it there a lot like what I imagine in my head) they have a fair amount of variety some look like breeds of dog others foxes or wolves and all these animals have Fur

Ingame I see no mention of fur...

Could this mean that Dwarf fortress's kobolds are the slimy festering LIZARD views

I hate these types of kobolds with a passion

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( So is there any mods that change this is all I was wondering?
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold steriotype
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »

If not I think I will try and make this myself
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »

Yup dat right der is what i'd call a kobold

EDIT:

acually kinda reminds me of a brown gremlin

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »

askot's k'bold is pretty much what I imagine those little creeps to look like

the dog-like ones could be a neat creature for arctic regions. fuzzier, faster, grumpier kobolds with fur. maybe "dog fiends" or something
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:23:14 pm by Captain Crazy »
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »

neither types are actually true Kobolds.

Rumpelstiltskin was a true Kobold.  They're little people of Germanic lore who did household chores, or inhabited mines, who were know to pull mischevious pranks when insulted.

Now, all that said and done, a mod based on Suikoden might be kinda fun.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »

Toady kind of explains his view on one of the dev pages:
Quote from: Toady One
Core90, PROPER KOBOLDS, (Future): Of course, this means different things to different people. To us, a proper kobold is neither a chihuahua man nor a mini-draconian, but instead sort of a small mammaloreptilian humanoid with pointy ears and yellow eyes with a penchant for trickery and mischief, context-based sublanguage, poisonous critter collection, traps and kleptomaniacal hoarding.
The one Askot posted basically. (It's from Kobold Quest if you've not played it.)

I grew up with the lizard-type, but the longer I've been here the more I've grown to like the dog/cutebold variant, so hey.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

Ahem, what you think of is a cutebold, which I, my army, and overral my impressions are of.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »

Here I was expecting something complaining about the portrayal of kobolds as either hopelessly naive and incompetent or only about as smart as a crow.  Also the lizard/featherless theropod/dragon-like kobolds of 3e+ D&D are the least festering of any kobolds I've ever seen barring the folkloric variety.  And they aren't slimey, although I imagine salamander-esque kobolds would be pretty adorable.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

...Also the lizard/featherless theropod/dragon-like kobolds of 3e+ D&D are the least festering of any kobolds I've ever seen barring the folkloric variety.  ...

2nd edition D&D had the "chihuahua man" kobolds, as well as goblins, xvart, tasloi, etc. all of which were 5hp goblinoid trash monsters for low-level adventurers. D&D hobgoblins and orcs filled the same role as DF goblins in that they are armed, armored, and disciplined/trained opponents.

In the game "Baldur's Gate", based on 2nd edition D&D, the kobolds even made cute/annoying yapping noises like little dogs, and they also set lots of traps. I kinda prefer these guys to the lizard people.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:53 pm »

Actually I grew up playing games where kobolds were blue humanoids, one example being GURPS, but also some MUD's, other homebrew games, and some homebrew worlds for D&D.  Some of the video games I played had dog-like kobolds, but they just as often had canine or draconic goblins.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:32:30 am »

I like draconicey humanoids best, for some reason.

DF kobolds have no hair, but, IIRC, no scales, either. Also they lay eggs. And they have bones. So...they're amphibians?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:20 am »

Kobold quest finally has made me realise what [UTTERANCES] sounds like. :D

And DF's kobolds are unto their own. Sort of reptilian, sort of mammalian, sort of lizardlike/doglike.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:18:12 am »

neither types are actually true Kobolds.

Rumpelstiltskin was a true Kobold.  They're little people of Germanic lore who did household chores, or inhabited mines, who were know to pull mischevious pranks when insulted.
Like making veins apparently of copper/silver be of another material, i.e. an ore of the to-be-isolated-later element colbalt, which was useless (in the context of copper and silver mining, although mostly to do with the usually also-present Arsenic compounds 'poisoning' the usual smelting processes, in the true chemical sense.).

Although cobalt does have uses (in the moderm world), e.g. one of the few ferromagnetic materials ("NICS" was the mnemonic I had to remember, a long time ago: Nickle, Iron, Cobalt and Steel...  but there are others, and 'Steel' is a bit of a cheat and not entirely accurate).  One use is batteries, while certain alloys of cobalt give materials suitable for jet-engine blades.  We know these days that cobalt is necessary (in very small trace quantities) to allow Vitamin B12 to be introduced into the food-chain.  And traditionally cobalt-based pigments gave a set of blue colourations to both glass and to paints themselves.

Kobolds, therefore, should maybe be blue in colour, small, troublesome to the normal working of a fortresss,   I would hesitate to also demand that they be extremely heat-/force-resistant.  But they should be thought capable of carrying picks and hauling on ropes, or miniature versions of them, in their own mining efforts (echoing the "knocker" spirits of the Cornish tin-mines) and thus be little humanoids.  Probably with contemporary peasant-/miner-like clothing.

(And then there's the nautical kobold, that seems to be a far more helpful little sprite...  Depending on whether you treat them nice, I suppose, but treating the mine-living sprite nice often made them turn even more useful ore to its useless equivalent. ;) )

But... who says that Dwarfworld Kobolds have to be anything like Roundworld ones traditionally are...
Pages: [1] 2