Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like Elves at all?

Yes, I like Elves.
No. Hate them.
I neither hate nor like Elves.
If they bring exotic animals/other useless crap = Diplomatic immunity/Yes

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Elves. Do you like them? ~REEEEEESULTS ARE IN!~  (Read 15356 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves. Do you like them? ~REEEEEESULTS ARE IN!~
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:00 am »

When elves bring crap, I pick through what little useful shit might be in the pile, and pay for it with nothing but worn out clothes as punishment.  They don't deserve the good stuff hell, they only get the leftovers the humans and dorfs don't want this year and that's when they bring bears.  When they can't be bothered to bring good animals or even some cloth, they get the xxPig Tail Sockxxs.  Garbage for garbage.  They don't get good roasts either, they never get the stuff that's worth more than 10k dorfbucks, because they never have anything worth that much anyway.  The better dwarven syrup roasts get resevered for the valued customers.  Even the human don't get roasts worth more than 20k, because I need those for whatever Mountainhome is sending me, only dwarves deserve the finest eats!

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:32 am »

Ive understood that if they make profit they bring more cloth next year. If they dont they bring the good stuff.

at one desperate clothing moment I bought all the cloth. Now they never bring cloth anymore. Maybe because I still have hundreds of it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 12:48:02 am »

Ive understood that if they make profit they bring more cloth next year. If they dont they bring the good stuff.

That hasn't been true in many versions.

That only used to happen when traders had much lower limits on what they could bring.  The cloth in bins would be piled on the camels first, and the elephants would be too heavy to bring after that, so they were left off.

Now that trade creatures can bring more stuff, and caravans overall don't just fill up with tons of junk, you should see even amounts of creatures and cloth most of the time. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:24 am »

Okay, thanks for correcting that one. I had a feeling that it's no longer the case.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:00 am »

That hasn't been true in many versions.

That only used to happen when traders had much lower limits on what they could bring.  The cloth in bins would be piled on the camels first, and the elephants would be too heavy to bring after that, so they were left off.

Now that trade creatures can bring more stuff, and caravans overall don't just fill up with tons of junk, you should see even amounts of creatures and cloth most of the time.

My elves after getting more offerings (total of 20000) and 100% profit start to bring less and less. Yes, it may be related to my fortress overall richness, but:
- I had more cloth and thread stacked during previous visits, still they were bringing cloth in abundance. Now they don't bring a single bin and the animals are junky. Last caravan I bought everything I did and didn't want with a single vial of golden salve.
- the same happens to humans (also 20000 offerings and even more than 100%) and items like armour and ammo.

As said, maybe my fortress has too much stuff, so this is the reason. But I don't stack valley herbs and elves bring less of it anyway. Whatever it is, offerings and much higher profits don't seem to help.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:48 am »

Someone should do elf trading science by modding out invaders and other traders and making elves come each season, and !!EXPERIMENT!! on them !

Connal89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2012, 07:16:15 am »

If I'm going to mod elves its going to be adding a pet tag to them and starting a research and training facility and have train me up some war elves.

Of course I'd just chain em and use em as alarms and meat shields but surely those pointy eared bastards can do that right?

I still want to be able to use their gear, or the elves themselves, as fuel for my goblinite processing facility. They should be happy about that, there's recycling and I don't cut down any more trees. You got your wish you tree hugging hippie jerks...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:46 am »

i mod elves to have a learning rate of 1000 to simulate the thousands of years they had to hone their skills, and i mod dwarves, humans and goblins to have a learning rate of 10 because i like slower games, and also getting to legendary a few months irks me.
an army of legendary elven rangers every ambush more than makes up for the wooden equipment, and makes them awesome and frightening in my game

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »

O.o
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »

They just brought me elephants. A quick dip in the raws, and the sold giant bone bits will most definatly be worth it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:36 pm »

i mod elves to have a learning rate of 1000 to simulate the thousands of years they had to hone their skills, and i mod dwarves, humans and goblins to have a learning rate of 10 because i like slower games, and also getting to legendary a few months irks me.
an army of legendary elven rangers every ambush more than makes up for the wooden equipment, and makes them awesome and frightening in my game
I modded Elves in my game to have blood which causes all who touch it transform into Elves themselves.

I also made Elves build cities. In adventure mode, their cities are absolute green zones. Never enter green zones.

And yes, I've had one of my forts die to Elfitis.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:43 pm »

Holy crap, combine those two mods, and you'll have legendary bowman superzombie elves that TOTALLY WRECK anyone who messes with their forests. Green zones?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »

I think green zone means "Fuck not with the green shit or you will become elf. Or dead."

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:45 pm »

Elves are treated well, but they have a smaller margin for pissing me off. A human caravan? Well. I'll go out of my way for them.  But the elves so much as protest once?

Hey look! Free animals!
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:58 am »

Holy crap, combine those two mods, and you'll have legendary bowman superzombie elves that TOTALLY WRECK anyone who messes with their forests. Green zones?
Green zones = High quarantine zone specifically focusing on Elfitis. Filled with trees, Elves and big, scary animals. So very green. Step in those, you're not coming out. Trading with Elves is done at an arms length, and then some.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6