Advanced search  

Poll

Do you like Elves at all?

Yes, I like Elves.
No. Hate them.
I neither hate nor like Elves.
If they bring exotic animals/other useless crap = Diplomatic immunity/Yes

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Elves. Do you like them? ~REEEEEESULTS ARE IN!~  (Read 15367 times)

Re: Elves. Do you like them?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »

I just ignore them. They are a completely useless race in the context of this game.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »

Its not the race, but they just annoy me with their actions all the time so I end up killing their traders the most. Accidentally offering wood or too many trees cut down or something. If theyre useful Im pretty happy with them actually, but I get annoyed easily.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »

I check to see what goodies they brang, seize the good stuff, kill all but one to tell his people what happened and then generally trade peacefully with the hoomans

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 08:00:54 pm »

I started playing in 40d, and I never had Elves refuse my trade good because of blood or vomit on them.  I was carefully avoiding trading goods like that because I had read in the forum that I should, but then one day I tried it and they did not object.  I think it was removed by version 40d.

Edit: 23a may be where that came from.  They apparently would not buy things decorated with materials of animal origin in that version.
23a didn't have contaminants, either on items or creatures - if it was anywhere, it would've been in the early 3D versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »

I started playing in 40d, and I never had Elves refuse my trade good because of blood or vomit on them.  I was carefully avoiding trading goods like that because I had read in the forum that I should, but then one day I tried it and they did not object.  I think it was removed by version 40d.

Edit: 23a may be where that came from.  They apparently would not buy things decorated with materials of animal origin in that version.
23a didn't have contaminants, either on items or creatures - if it was anywhere, it would've been in the early 3D versions.
The other misinformation I played with early on, with 40d, was that items in stockpiles became worn if people walked over the stockpiles.  I went to all kinds of trouble keeping people from walking over things, only to discover that it didn't matter at all.

Searching back, I see that in November of 2008 I had already learned that blood and vomit were okay, and was learning that soap is a problem because of lye and not because of tallow.

Here's where I got the idea back then that blood on clothing was a problem.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13823.msg126275#msg126275
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:36 pm »

The elves are at war with my civ in my current world and goblins have gone extinct, so they are the new goblins now.

But other than that, I don't hate them, they are cool.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »

I don't mind them at all and find their idiosyncracies interesting. As someone mentioned, the game offers an interesting take on the race that is usually not seen. They are retards just the same when it comes to trade but at least its interesting to have an elf siege once in a while. One of my favourite forts started out with having the elves and humans at war with me and only the humans have made peace so far.

Edit: I must say I never had to deal with them when they had tree quotas and such.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:41:01 pm by Viking »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 01:19:16 am »

In general, I'm not an elf fan when it comes to generic Tolkienesque fantasy.  Elves always tend to be elitist pricks no matter what the setting is and most of the time the only real use they have is that elf women make excellent fetish fuel.  I'm more of a dwarf fan, which of course drew me to this game in the first place.

Dwarf Fortress in particular?  The elves are just...there.  The diplomats are broken, so I don't have to put up with that shit, and I don't intend to fix it with DFHack either.  They fight rather poorly.  They can occasionally bring useful animals or berries, and the cloth can help fuel a clothing industry, but otherwise everything else is crap unless you need a huge supply of wood.  I find humans to be better traders, because they at least have metal stuff that can be melted down (as if humans can ever craft anything as well as a dorf!), and they don't think food products means all-vegan. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:21:14 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:13 am »

I put up with the elves for the exotic and giant animals they bring, as well as some of the plants. Otherwise they're just another trading partner with exceptionally interesting restrictive tastes.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 01:58:10 am »

Well, meh.
They're good for the same thing as other trading races: getting rid of heaps of (xsockx)s. Only less so, because if you accidentally select an oak crutch or whatever, they'll get all pissy and leave. Plus their "weapons" and "armor" are made of wood and as useful as you'd expect a balsa wood sword to be in real life.

Props for bringing a ton of plants and seeds, though. And now that dorfs actually wear clothing, some rope reed fiber cloth can actually be valuable. Oh, and occasionally they bring some interesting critters. (In Spearbreakers, I bought a pair of black mambas. Wonderfully deadly against living opponents. Too bad the main bad guys there are undead or demonic...)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 02:16:04 am »

Awesome giant pit fighters and cloth for the now needed clothing industry makes them loved. Not taking my extremly valuable masterwork wooden bins infuriates me. As such, I'm more inclined to just kill them, take thier shit, and make fancy trinkets out of them.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 02:56:56 am »

… (as if humans can ever craft anything as well as a dorf!)…

They can. So far only humans were bringing me masterwork items. No often, but sill. DF not modded. Heck, they even brought me masterwork arrows once, which cannot be made by dorfs at all!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 04:17:38 am »

I like elves for the exotic animals and for bringing me the stuff I need to start my surface farms (too lazy to gether plants myself, plus no sunberries), but after that I mostly ignore them. I never kill or steal all their stuff, simply because there is so much of it useless that I spend ages destroying it all. It's just too much work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:16 am »

My killing is more for the morale of the soliers. Although my milita commander hogged 3 out of 4 kills earlier....

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 04:57:46 am »

Someone has to rescue relieve the fortress from of a crapton of rock crafts, toys and instruments, it may as well be the Elvis'.
And, on top of the cloth, animals and fruit, they also bring sand and dye, (dye production is still above below my pay-grade).
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6